Total votes: 15

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

For Goose (what's a cherry wood)

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Goose is sending me private messages about this pipe. Image
[/quote]

He contends it is a cherry wood. I maintain it is not. Goose does not accept my opinion. I may be wrong.

What say you?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: For Goose (what's a cherry wood)

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:55 pm

+JMJ+

It's briar. Or at least, it's not cherry.

But I could be wrong.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Goose? Da faq? [Zederate--h.d.]] much?
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm
Goose? Da faq? [Zederated] much?
No. He's learning. We've all been there. He's curious and that's a good thing. I maintain European cherry can't be grained like that and I don't think Roop made bark off cherry pipes, but I'm not the pipe king. I just smoke the things.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:02 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:58 pm
Goose? Da faq? [Zederated] much?
No. He's learning. We've all been there. He's curious and that's a good thing. I maintain European cherry can't be grained like that and I don't think Roop made bark off cherry pipes, but I'm not the pipe king. I just smoke the things.
Also, it's a thing of beauty. I have a Comoy in this shape that's a boring old straight grain. I'm a sicker for panel billiards and I wouldn't mind seeing such stunning grain.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:29 pm

A thread for Goose. Thank you!

All I had to go on before this was Pipedia's write up on Ropp, and I assumed it was a cherry.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:14 am

Cherry wood is also a shape, I was confused for a moment. That pipe, while beautifully grained, is a cherry wood pipe in neither sense.
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:18 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

More pix of the same Ropp pipe. Is it cherry, or briar?...

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 pm

+JMJ+
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

This is still an open question?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Cerise?
Non.

Bruyère?
Oui!

L'oeil de l'oiseau tourbillonne un bain, un si beau panneau et le bois est du bois aux racines de la racine,
la vraie vérité.

Ropp fait de nombreux tuyaux qui ne sont pas de la cerise,
voir:
http://pipephil.eu/logos/fr/logo-ropp.html

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Look at the pic Bob showed you. That's a Cherry wood Ropp pipe. Why do you think it has bark on it? There is a reason and we very rarely saw cherry wood pipes without bark. Usually they were home-made if they had no bark. Even Ropp's little ones still had bark on the outside. I had a few Ropp Cherry wood pipes and I cut the bark off one of them and learned almost immediately why it was there.

Pear wood, which was very common pipe material in East block communist countries, is different in this respect.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Pipedia:
"Even though cherrywood pipes were the mainstay of Ropp until the company finally closed down in September 1991. The company was taken over by Cuty-Fort Entreprises (Chacom, Jeantet, Vuillard, Jean Lacroix...) in 1994.” .

I have been going by the above info with the Ropp, because the stampings are quite worn, indicating it's an old pipe. So, Ropp did make briar pipes back then.

Would then an old Ropp briar be considered rare?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm
Pipedia:
"Even though cherrywood pipes were the mainstay of Ropp until the company finally closed down in September 1991. The company was taken over by Cuty-Fort Entreprises (Chacom, Jeantet, Vuillard, Jean Lacroix...) in 1994.” .

I have been going by the above info with the Ropp, because the stampings are quite worn, indicating it's an old pipe. So, Ropp did make briar pipes back then.

I think they produced briar pipes as well. It might not be very old at all. It's over 20 years ago that Cuty-Fort got the brand. But I rather doubt that they moved into the old Ropp manufacturing plant. I think you might be harder pressed to find a post-94 Ropp Cherry wood. I haven't looked very hard but I think they (Cuty-Fort) just uses the brand. It's all laundry detergent.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:

Honestly, they made a turd ton of briar pipes. It's an old, old company. I wouldn't say they're rare at all. They made everything from shilling briars to really high end stuff for the carriage trade.

If, as I suspect, you're wondering whether this pipe might be worth bidding on, I'd say no from a collectors perspective and abso-friggin-lutely from a smoking perspective. People discount French pipes and I'm glad they do--they are superb smokers, in my experience. Like the italians, they keep the best for themselves.

I'd be willing to pay up to about 60 bucks for that realizing I'd never be able to resell. It's a smoker.

Id like to know when you decide it's a briar pipe.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:11 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

He contends it is a cherry wood. I maintain it is not. Goose does not accept my opinion. I may be wrong.

What say you?
Goose never accepts ANY opinion that is different from his. That's his charm.
The other part of his charm is that he reads things elsewhere and accepts them as truth and then plays the argument out here. And insists that it's true.

I think if we stop responding to his views altogether then he will simply accept them, join another pipe forum, probably replay them there.

What do you think? Are we there or is he coming back tomorrow with another argument?

LOL!
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:13 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:

Honestly, they made a turd ton of briar pipes. It's an old, old company. I wouldn't say they're rare at all. They made everything from shilling briars to really high end stuff for the carriage trade.

If, as I suspect, you're wondering whether this pipe might be worth bidding on, I'd say no from a collectors perspective and abso-friggin-lutely from a smoking perspective. People discount French pipes and I'm glad they do--they are superb smokers, in my experience. Like the italians, they keep the best for themselves.

I'd be willing to pay up to about 60 bucks for that realizing I'd never be able to resell. It's a smoker.

I'd say now that it is briar.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:11 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

What say you?
Goose never accepts ANY opinion that is different from his. That's his charm.
The other part of his charm is that he reads things elsewhere and accepts them as truth and then plays the argument out here. And insists that it's true.

What do you think? Are we there or is he coming back tomorrow with another argument?

LOL!
Don't know. Not fighting him on this. That's a handsome briar pipe. Much prettier than their cherry pipes. I like Ropps.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:

No it's not.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:

No it's not.
Funny guy! You are beginning to sound like me.