Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:13 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:13 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:30 pm
Pipedia:
"Even though cherrywood pipes were the mainstay of Ropp until the company finally closed down in September 1991. The company was taken over by Cuty-Fort Entreprises (Chacom, Jeantet, Vuillard, Jean Lacroix...) in 1994.” .

I have been going by the above info with the Ropp, because the stampings are quite worn, indicating it's an old pipe. So, Ropp did make briar pipes back then.

Would then an old Ropp briar be considered rare?
Honestly, they made a turd ton of briar pipes. It's an old, old company. I wouldn't say they're rare at all. They made everything from shilling briars to really high end stuff for the carriage trade.

If, as I suspect, you're wondering whether this pipe might be worth bidding on, I'd say no from a collectors perspective and abso-friggin-lutely from a smoking perspective. People discount French pipes and I'm glad they do--they are superb smokers, in my experience. Like the italians, they keep the best for themselves.

I'd be willing to pay up to about 60 bucks for that realizing I'd never be able to resell. It's a smoker.

Id like to know when you decide it's a briar pipe.
I'd say now that it is briar.
No it's not.
Funny guy! You are beginning to sound like me.
Nobody in their right mind could ever sound like you.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Re: For Goose (what's a cherry wood)

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Skip wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:27 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:
"Even though cherrywood pipes were the mainstay of Ropp until the company finally closed down in September 1991. The company was taken over by Cuty-Fort Entreprises (Chacom, Jeantet, Vuillard, Jean Lacroix...) in 1994.” .

I have been going by the above info with the Ropp, because the stampings are quite worn, indicating it's an old pipe. So, Ropp did make briar pipes back then.

Honestly, they made a turd ton of briar pipes. It's an old, old company. I wouldn't say they're rare at all. They made everything from shilling briars to really high end stuff for the carriage trade.

If, as I suspect, you're wondering whether this pipe might be worth bidding on, I'd say no from a collectors perspective and abso-friggin-lutely from a smoking perspective. People discount French pipes and I'm glad they do--they are superb smokers, in my experience. Like the italians, they keep the best for themselves.

I'd be willing to pay up to about 60 bucks for that realizing I'd never be able to resell. It's a smoker.

No it's not.
As if that would invalidate his comment about Rusty. :lol:
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:08 pm
Skip wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:27 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Pipedia:

No it's not.
As if that would invalidate his comment about Rusty. :lol:
I'm not sure either of them would get it.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 am

I apologize for bringing this up. Turns out Goose is not curious about the Ropp pipe. In reality, he's selling that pipe on ebay, as I learned from a completely out of the blue pm last night suggesting I buy it from eBay because it would do somebody worthy a good turn. Clicked on the link, it's sold out of Ajo, Arizona by catgoose55.

Goose, that was incredibly sneaky behaviour. Read the forum rules. Post in the vendor forum about sales. And stay the heck out of my inbox unless it's about something official.

Was anybody else solicited to purchase this pipe? Let me know, please.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 am

What the hell is going on, here?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 am
Goose owns that Ropp and is selling it on ebay. The whole request for information was a round about way of putting a value on it. I fell for it and am slightly annoyed. I'd have given him all the information free for the asking, don't know why the flummery.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 am
I apologize for bringing this up. Turns out Goose is not curious about the Ropp pipe. In reality, he's selling that pipe on ebay, as I learned from a completely out of the blue pm last night suggesting I buy it from eBay because it would do somebody worthy a good turn. Clicked on the link, it's sold out of Ajo, Arizona by catgoose55.

Goose, that was incredibly sneaky behaviour. Read the forum rules. Post in the vendor forum about sales. And stay the heck out of my inbox unless it's about something official.

What is this? I thought you wanted the pipe? You were making buyer noises. But no he didn't solicit me. I wasn't making buyer noises.
I don't know what he said to you in PMs but I didn't see any offer to sell anywhere in this thread. And offering to sell in PMs is like any other private message.

I'm not surprised that he's selling. He was pretty clear about the large pipes he prefers so the others have some other purpose and refurbing and selling isn't surprising. But he hasn't solicited in any of the threads I've seen.

If he asks about pipes it doesn't matter what the ultimate purpose is. It could be because he got a question on eBay or because he realizes that he was assuming it's cherry wood. No matter. Questions on value on eBay are guesses at best. I think volunteering that it isn't usually considered a collectible pipe isn't a problem either.
Last edited by Rusty on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 am
UncleBob wrote:
Goose owns that Ropp and is selling it on ebay. The whole request for information was a round about way of putting a value on it. I fell for it and am slightly annoyed. I'd have given him all the information free for the asking, don't know why the flummery.
Hmm... sanctions may be in order!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:08 am
UncleBob wrote:
Hmm... sanctions may be in order!
He reminds of a women who dresses to kill and then behaves as if insulted when somebody responds even politely.
If he had disclosed that he was selling a pipe on eBay and asked about value I wouldn't object. He didn't solicit here in the thread.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 am
hugodrax wrote:

What is this? I thought you wanted the pipe? You were making buyer noises. But no he didn't solicit me. I wasn't making buyer noises.
I don't know what he said to you in PMs but I didn't see any offer to sell anywhere in this thread. And offering to sell in PMs is like any other private message.

I'm not surprised that he's selling. He was pretty clear about the large pipes he prefers so the others have some other purpose and refurbing and selling isn't surprising. But he hasn't solicited in any of the threads I've seen.

If he asks about pipes it doesn't matter what the ultimate purpose is. It could be because he got a question on eBay or because he realizes that he was assuming it's cherry wood. No matter.
Ah, Rusty. Goose restored that pipe. He's a talented woodworker. It was in his hands. Are you going to tell me he can't tell briar?

I suspect a ruse in order to gauge interest. Vendor sales go in the vendor sales forum. Unsolicited PMs offering to sell something are against the rules.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

If he asks about pipes it doesn't matter what the ultimate purpose is. It could be because he got a question on eBay or because he realizes that he was assuming it's cherry wood. No matter.
Ah, Rusty. Goose restored that pipe. He's a talented woodworker. It was in his hands. Are you going to tell me he can't tell briar?

I suspect a ruse in order to gauge interest. Vendor sales go in the vendor sales forum. Unsolicited PMs offering to sell something are against the rules.
I understand what you're saying and I think you have to ask Goose about his intent. I try to give people the benefit of doubt and not accuse them of sneaky behaviour. I presumed that he was asking a legitimate question. I thought he should recognize briar by now but even his eBay listing repeats the pipedia entry.

Because he is selling it on eBay he could have listed the auction URL on the selling forum and then asked questions about whether it's collectible or cherry wood here anyway.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

I understand what you're saying and I think you have to ask Goose about his intent. I try to give people the benefit of doubt and not accuse them of sneaky behaviour. I presumed that he was asking a legitimate question. I thought he should recognize briar by now but even his eBay listing repeats the pipedia entry.

Because he is selling it on eBay he could have listed the auction URL on the selling forum and then asked questions about whether it's collectible or cherry wood here anyway.
Exactly. That's what I'm doing in posting here. I don't want Goose dead. I like Goose. I'm not going to give him any discipline. I just want it clear that regardless of the reason, we don't do it this way. It opens him up to get screwed, too--what if that was a really valuable pipe and I was dishonest, I could have undervalued it to get a good price.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Exactly. That's what I'm doing in posting here. I don't want Goose dead. I like Goose. I'm not going to give him any discipline. I just want it clear that regardless of the reason, we don't do it this way. It opens him up to get screwed, too--what if that was a really valuable pipe and I was dishonest, I could have undervalued it to get a good price.
The thing that may be missing is disclosure, ie that he is selling the pipe on eBay. And it started with the PMs to you because you originated the thread. We can still talk pipes, even if it's for sale and listed as such in a CPS selling forum. But if the disclosure is missing we may presume that his intent is questionable. That's unfortunate. So disclosure is important.

OTOH if he only PM'd you then he knows enough about your tastes in pipes that he might be worth hiring to find you pipes! LOL! This is the part that strains credulity. And that would change if ten other people say he sent them PMs about this pipe.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

The thing that may be missing is disclosure, ie that he is selling the pipe on eBay. And it started with the PMs to you because you originated the thread. We can still talk pipes, even if it's for sale and listed as such in a CPS selling forum. But if the disclosure is missing we may presume that his intent is questionable. That's unfortunate. So disclosure is important.

OTOH if he only PM'd you then he knows enough about your tastes in pipes that he might be worth hiring to find you pipes! LOL! This is the part that strains credulity. And that would change if ten other people say he sent them PMs about this pipe.
Spot on. Funny thing is I just SweetandSoured my Barling.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

hugodrax wrote:
Ajo, Arizona by catgoose55.
Goose lives in Ajo? That explains it.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am

Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Frankly, I do not know what the big issue is I posted an innocent pic of the pipe in the My Favorite PIctures Of Pipes thread. I thought it was a cherry wood pipe, Drax informed me it wasn't, so I learned something.

I do recall seeing that there is a selling forum on CPS but it did not occur to me to first post there about the Ropp. My intent in posting the pic of the pipe was not to sell it to anyone here. It was only when Drax said he liked Ropps and valued them, that I PMed him with the ebay link.

So what's the transgression? Why is my credibility being questioned? I think this is baseless.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am

hugodrax wrote:

Drax, please remember that I was not initially curious about the Ropp pipe. I was not leading anyone on. I only posted an innocent pic of it in the My Favorite Pictures Of Pipes thread. I then learned from the Cherry Wood thread you created, that it is likely a briar pipe. I also discovered from you in this thread that you liked Ropp pipes and paneled pipes, with dramatic graining, so I PMed you my ebay link to the pipe. I have not sent the link to anyone else.

There's no reason for an inquisition.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am
hugodrax wrote:

Drax, please remember that I was not initially curious about the Ropp pipe. I was not leading anyone on. I only posted an innocent pic of it in the My Favorite Pictures Of Pipes thread. I then learned from the Cherry Wood thread you created, that it is likely a briar pipe. I also discovered from you in this thread that you liked Ropp pipes and paneled pipes, with dramatic graining, so I PMed you my ebay link to the pipe. I have not sent the link to anyone else.

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am
hugodrax wrote:

No inquisition, but rather a hairy eyeball. I felt led up the garden path on this one, especially since you'd held the pipe in your hands. No harm, no foul--but open disclosure is a good thing. I don't want to look like a seller's agent again. Now go post the thing in the vendor's section and maybe someone will buy it. I think it's beautiful.

Skip

Post by Skip » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:40 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:15 am
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Frankly, I do not know what the big issue is I posted an innocent pic of the pipe in the My Favorite PIctures Of Pipes thread. I thought it was a cherry wood pipe, Drax informed me it wasn't, so I learned something.

I do recall seeing that there is a selling forum on CPS but it did not occur to me to first post there about the Ropp. My intent in posting the pic of the pipe was not to sell it to anyone here. It was only when Drax said he liked Ropps and valued them, that I PMed him with the ebay link.

So what's the transgression? Why is my credibility being questioned? I think this is baseless.
"Hi, guys! I'm selling this pipe on eBay and want to make sure I represent it properly."

That's all it would've taken.