Who made this pipe?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Who made this pipe?

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:37 pm

I would put this in "Latest Pipe Purchase," but I need help again. We went to the flea market today and I picked up this pipe.

Somebody has nearly buffed the lettering right off the thing, however.

I took a piece of paper to it and tried rubbing a pencil to pick up the lettering, but that didn't work. So I also played with the contrast and such a bit trying to get the letters to pop a bit:

I then went to Pipepedia's list of pipe brands and tried a search in the page for lettering sequences such as "AIc," "AHc," "AHCOR," etc. but was striking out. I figured one of you fine gents will likely have the answer.

I also picked up a rack/humidor

And it came with a surprise - some nice tobacco! I figure it's about 20 years old ... shall we re-hydrate it?

A few other goodies too. A tamper, humidity disc, and this old package of things called philtpads. Has anybody heard of Philtpads before? Should I use them?
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Who made this pipe?

Post by Rusty » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Do you ever search on CPS for terms like Philtpads? You should try it. You'll discover an entire world that you didn't know existed. Can you imagine being able replay any discussion? Truly. Try it and then never mention it again.

It might be a 3rd party brand. And it might be that nobody recognizes it. That is the usual case. I want you to imagine that there were a lot of factory pipe makers. About 3% of all they made were 'firsts' that wore their brand. 97% of all they made were seconds and worse. The seconds might have a brand of their own. All the rest 'downstream' are looking for a home. So there are mountains of roughly finished pipes that are looking for a market. Some of them end up in baskets with no brand. Some end up as store brands. But THERE are mountains of them. And there was no estate market at all. Many tobacconists had oak barrels filled with partially finished pipes. Thousands of them. And every department store had a pretty good tobacco department.

I'm surprised that you're not finding more Brighams because they dominated the market in Canada.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:43 pm

"Philtpads? Philtpads?? Arrrrgggggh." Cue sounds of homicidal rampage.

Think " Reinemachefrau."
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Who made this pipe?

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:"Philtpads? Philtpads?? Arrrrgggggh." Cue sounds of homicidal rampage.

Think " Reinemachefrau."
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I laughed hysterically when I got home and found those laying in the bottom.
Rusty wrote:Do you ever search on CPS for terms like Philtpads? You should try it. You'll discover an entire world that you didn't know existed. Can you imagine being able replay any discussion? Truly. Try it and then never mention it again.

It might be a 3rd party brand. And it might be that nobody recognizes it. That is the usual case. I want you to imagine that there were a lot of factory pipe makers. About 3% of all they made were 'firsts' that wore their brand. 97% of all they made were seconds and worse. The seconds might have a brand of their own. All the rest 'downstream' are looking for a home. So there are mountains of roughly finished pipes that are looking for a market. Some of them end up in baskets with no brand. Some end up as store brands. But THERE are mountains of them. And there was no estate market at all. Many tobacconists had oak barrels filled with partially finished pipes. Thousands of them. And every department store had a pretty good tobacco department.

I'm surprised that you're not finding more Brighams because they dominated the market in Canada.
Ah, that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 am

The stamping appears to say 'basket pipe' to me.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:59 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 am
The stamping appears to say 'basket pipe' to me.
Well, this has been a quick end to what I thought would be some fun detective work. lol

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:01 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:43 pm
"Philtpads? Philtpads?? Arrrrgggggh." Cue sounds of homicidal rampage.

Think " Reinemachefrau."
Philtpads, oh Lord.

Could stamp say "Air Cure?"

I have a very similar pipe rack.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 am

What's the story with Philtpads? Never heard of them.

Looks like JudgeRusty nailed it to me. Never heard of Air Cure pipes. Google doesn't appear to know anything about them either. Probably some obscure third or fourth.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 am
What's the story with Philtpads? Never heard of them.

Looks like JudgeRusty nailed it to me. Never heard of Air Cure pipes. Google doesn't appear to know anything about them either. Probably some obscure third or fourth.
You could always search the forums. Goose used to be their number one fan.

They're the old meerschaum coloring buttons, repurposed as a way to stop wet heel. Like Keystones.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am
You could always search the forums.
I could but I don't want to know THAT bad. :lol:
Wayne Teipen

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:41 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:20 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am
You could always search the forums.
I could but I don't want to know THAT bad. :lol:
Lol. That's why I just went ahead and told you, too. :P

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Well, I gave it an oxi clean soak, and buffed it up, and will now smoke a bowl of trout stream in my new basket pipe lol. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Nothing the matter with a basket pipe. Stick the philtpads in the bottom of a Meerschaum.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:55 pm
Well, I gave it an oxi clean soak, and buffed it up, and will now smoke a bowl of trout stream in my new basket pipe lol. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Hard to screw up a bowl of trout stream (one of few aromatics I enjoy and my next purchase).
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 am

Pipe turned out good! A couple of my favorite pipes are store branded and basket pipes.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD