Clay pipes

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Clay pipes

Post by John-Boy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:04 am

Who's tried smoking clay pipes? Am I missing anything?

John-Boy

hicksdm
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by hicksdm » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:15 pm

I personally dont think you are missing anything. I own a couple of them and I just do not enjoy them. The bowl is always to hot to touch, you cant clamp down on them and they are fragile beyond belief. The tobacco taste good in them I just can not get past the other problems. I love a Mershaum (sp) pipe and they are slowly taking over my collection.

Coffeenut
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Coffeenut » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:10 pm

I tried one once that someone at a pipe shop allowed me to "demo". The only thing I noticed was the bowl was hot but the smoke a little cool, probably due to the long stem on this one more than anything else. What I thought was intersting was the history aspect of the old style long stem clay pipe. Old taverns would actually make these publicly available for general usage by anyone desiring a smoke. When you were finished, you just broke off the end of the stem where your lips touched for the next guy. I'm not sure how many times a pipe could be used but the last guy must have had a pretty hot smoke!
"When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die."
Dietrich Bonhoffer

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:41 am

Thanks, guys. Making mental note - "take clay pipe off wish list."

John-Boy
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

El-Brento
Congregation
Congregation

Post by El-Brento » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:54 am

I've never smoked a clay, not because I don't like them, but I rarely just sit and smoke. Usually I'm in my workshop so I tend to clench my pipes. Pretty hard to do with a 16" clay!! Here is a link to a fellow in Nova Scotia who makes some beautiful clays.
http://www.bytor.com/pipes/pipes.htm
Also, apparently the proper way to hold a clay is with the middle of the stem resting on your knuckles and your index finger over it. I'd like to get one of his pipes one day, it's just not practical right now!

Brent

EliasEmmanuel
Congregation
Congregation

Post by EliasEmmanuel » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:19 am

I had one for a while that I loved, which I got from knoxcigar for about $12.... managable length, cheap and smoked beautifully. Very "clean"

might try one of those. If you don't like it, you're only out 12 bucks and you have a nice display pipe if nothing else :-)

-Elias

charleslong
Congregation
Congregation

Post by charleslong » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:30 pm

[quote="John-Boy"]Thanks, guys. Making mental note - "take clay pipe off wish list."

I'll try one sometime. You can get them for 6 or 7 bucks.

Charles

tonymccallie
Elder
Elder

Post by tonymccallie » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:14 am

I actually had forgotten I had one of these until you brought this thread up. I decided to fire it up with some Haddo's in it the other night. It was definitely an interesting experience. I got my clay on EBay for 6-7 bucks. It's about 6" long. The really cool thing about it was the fact that it lets you taste ONLY the tobacco. I think they are a great, cheap way to try new tobaccos. You get a pure version of the flavor and none of the flavor already in the bowl. I'm *pretty* sure I read on ASP the GLPease uses them to test his tobaccos. (Don't quote me on that) The bowl gets very hot, even though the smoke was cool. All in all, an interesting smoke. I love pipes with historical value anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Blessings all,
Tony
Tony McCallie :pipe:

sguthrie
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sguthrie » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:17 am

tonymccallie wrote: I'm *pretty* sure I read on ASP the GLPease uses them to test his tobaccos. (Don't quote me on that)
Don't tell ME what to do!! :wink:

sportybird
Congregation
Congregation

Post by sportybird » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:13 am

Has anyone ever tried one of these.

I plan on getting one eventually.

Regards,
Daniel
We didnt abandon you Pete. We just thought you was a toad.

tranders
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tranders » Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:50 pm

I just purchased my first clay pipe this week. it is a good smoke,but the bowl gets mighty hot.

tranders
Congregation
Congregation

Post by tranders » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:10 am

I have found the clay pipe to be a very neutral smoke. I would have never guessed the flavor a good broken in piece of briar adds to the flavour.

sportybird
Congregation
Congregation

Post by sportybird » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:34 pm

sportybird wrote:Has anyone ever tried one of these.

I plan on getting one eventually.

Regards,
Daniel
Well, I've had this pipe quite a while now and finally smoked it this morning.

It is a very nice pipe, remarkably cool smoke, I was expecting it to be too hot to hold and it was as cool or cooler than my briars that I smoke. I'm not a gentle smoker, and I was worried that it would burn my fingers.

I'm looking forward to smoking it some more and am most likely going to purchase another one of the pipes from this maker. I purchased the Fumed Hand, but not from Talberts as he was sold out.

The bowl is considerably smaller than I expected. I decided it will be my official before-church-on-Sunday-morning-pipe when I don't have much more than an hour anyway.

Blessings,
Daniel

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:39 pm

I have one in my recently aquired collection from my grandpas estate. It is old looking, & in ruff shape. It looks like sometiong someone dug up from a historical fort somewhere. Anyway I will try it, & give you my thoughts. I guess for the price you can't really beat them. Also because their clay you can't beat them.(they'll break :lol: )

Here is a site I found with the nicest variety of good looking clays. If I ever order it will most likely be from this site as I like everyone the have posted!

http://pipetobacco.com/productList.php3 ... ype_id=109
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

sportybird
Congregation
Congregation

Post by sportybird » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:33 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the site info. I'll have to try those more traditional type of pipes. You can't beat the prices.

One reason I chose to go with the clay pipe that I did was that it has a "normal" pipe stem.

The experience was so positive this morning, that I'm going to be looking to create a clay section to the pipe collection. The PAD continues.

Have a great day!

Daniel

Searcher-4-Truth
Usher
Usher

Post by Searcher-4-Truth » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:16 am

I found these sites for civil war era cly pipes last night & decided they were worth posting a link also. :)

The 1st one has Lucifer's matches, & a couple of briars as well as clay pipe with reed stem.

http://www.fcsutler.com/fchavers.asp

http://www.thickitycreek.com/clay%20and ... 20pipe.htm
Last edited by Searcher-4-Truth on Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Veni vidi velcroe

I came, I saw, I stuck around

Scottman
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Scottman » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:48 am

Links aren't hot because of the "//" prior to the "www."

Thanks for the links!
Scott

sportybird
Congregation
Congregation

Post by sportybird » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:09 am

I had questions about the Peasant pipe on this website but they never returned my email. It looks like alot of the same stuff as the other civil war sites. I'd still like to get a peasant pipe, maybe I'll try emailing them again. They also have porcelain pipes that I think would be interesting.

Best Regards,
Daniel

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Clay pipes

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:17 pm

I am intrigued by the Old German brand clay pipes that P&C have been selling for a while now. Given that not all clay pipes are created equal, I am wary of any untested brands. There are those clay pipes some produce that seemed to be made of plaster. These were inferior and infuriating, much like Hovannes.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Re: Clay pipes

Post by philofumo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 pm