Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:22 pm

A Stanwell with an "S" and no crown, made in Denmark, in the 1960's. Was in pretty good shape. Bon Ami worked well to remove some heavy char from the rim, and "it hasn't scratched yet." Also some light tooth marks on the stem had to be sanded away.

Pretty good looking pipe for being nearly 60 years old .....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Nice, Goose.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:22 pm
A Stanwell with an "S" and no crown, made in Denmark, in the 1960's. Was in pretty good shape. Bon Ami worked well to remove some heavy char from the rim, and "it hasn't scratched yet." Also some light tooth marks on the stem had to be sanded away.

Dig the stem. Really nice pipe.
#JeSuisCharlieGard

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:23 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Dig the stem. Really nice pipe.
Thanks. Quite a process removing teeth marks. I've gotten fooled thinking I've got them out, only to find later upon finish polishing that remnants remain. I now polish as I go along, to be sure.

I think I spent about 2 hours on that stem, but it was worth it. It really does now look & feel like a new pipe. Very gratifying and satisfying to achieve this level of restoration.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis