Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 pm

more details to come later.....

Image
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Another estate Mark Tinsky, a 3-star mocha finish Rhodesian:

Image

Image

Image


This is a fairly large-bowled pipe with a chamber that measures 0.87" wide by 1.50" deep.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Nice pipe, DP. Great grain. Almost looks brand new.

You're a Tinsky magnet! Or, maybe I should say, Magnate? You certainly have influence in the estate pipe market!
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:11 pm
Nice pipe, DP. Great grain. Almost looks brand new.

You're a Tinsky magnet! Or, maybe I should say, Magnate? You certainly have influence in the estate pipe market!

Thanks, Goose.

But regarding "influence." Not hardly.

I like his pipes.
I think he's a great guy.

Check that, I know he's a great guy and that his pipes smoke very, very well indeed.

For some reason there doesn't seem to be as much competition for his pipes in the estate market as there is for others who make pipes of similar quality. I don't know why, but given my fondness for his pipes that situation, for now, seems to be working to my advantage.

There are others, of course, whose pipes I also like a great deal - some of whom I've gotten to know, if only a bit - but many pipemakers whose quality is similar generate prices on the estate market that I just can't justify (too often), especially when I can buy a pipe of Mark's that I know I'll love, usually without a lot of competitive bidding or a terribly high dealer price.

Then there's the whole "collection" thing. I'm well on my way to having a very representative selection of Tinsky's work over the span of his lengthy and highly productive career.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 pm

The larger one on the right, made by our very own JoeGoat!

Image

Presently breakin' it in with it's very first bowl full--of Prince Albert. For I have learned from CPS that nothing builds great cake like PA.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:30 pm
The larger one on the right, made by our very own JoeGoat!

Image

Presently breakin' it in with it's very first bowl full--of Prince Albert. For I have learned from CPS that nothing builds great cake like PA.
A truly lovely pair.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2044
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm
Another estate Mark Tinsky, a 3-star mocha finish Rhodesian:

Image

Image

Image


This is a fairly large-bowled pipe with a chamber that measures 0.87" wide by 1.50" deep.
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:49 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.
I haven't written to Mark to ask. You may be right.
It looks and feels very much like polished stone.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.

Here's a closeup of the ferrule, joegoat.

The distinct line in the "ivory" is not a crack. It's color. Wherever you look, detail and depth pop out of it. It's an amazingly beautiful material.

Image
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2044
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.

Here's a closeup of the ferrule, joegoat.

The distinct line in the "ivory" is not a crack. It's color. Wherever you look, detail and depth pop out of it. It's an amazingly beautiful material.

Image
It doesn't look like genuine ivory to me. It lacks the grain. The stone feel is interesting. Palm Nut is being used as an ivory alternative on bagpipes, but it has a wood like feel. There are also synthetic ivories being used. My blackwood set is mounted in a synthetic ivory that is gorgeous! It's obviously not ivory when you're up close, but the colors in it are lovely and from a distance you'd never know the difference. I'd love to find that material for pipe mounts.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32274
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by UncleBob » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.

Here's a closeup of the ferrule, joegoat.

The distinct line in the "ivory" is not a crack. It's color. Wherever you look, detail and depth pop out of it. It's an amazingly beautiful material.

Image
It doesn't look like genuine ivory to me. It lacks the grain. The stone feel is interesting. Palm Nut is being used as an ivory alternative on bagpipes, but it has a wood like feel. There are also synthetic ivories being used. My blackwood set is mounted in a synthetic ivory that is gorgeous! It's obviously not ivory when you're up close, but the colors in it are lovely and from a distance you'd never know the difference. I'd love to find that material for pipe mounts.
Send an email, alonv with the pic, and ask him.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4245
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:09 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:25 pm
joegoat wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 am
Nice! Do you know what the mount is made of? Looks like Palm Nut/Vegetable Ivory.

Here's a closeup of the ferrule, joegoat.

The distinct line in the "ivory" is not a crack. It's color. Wherever you look, detail and depth pop out of it. It's an amazingly beautiful material.

Image
It doesn't look like genuine ivory to me. It lacks the grain. The stone feel is interesting. Palm Nut is being used as an ivory alternative on bagpipes, but it has a wood like feel. There are also synthetic ivories being used. My blackwood set is mounted in a synthetic ivory that is gorgeous! It's obviously not ivory when you're up close, but the colors in it are lovely and from a distance you'd never know the difference. I'd love to find that material for pipe mounts.
Send an email, alonv with the pic, and ask him.
Have done so.
Will update when I hear back.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Post Reply