Pipe and other hardware related discussions
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by John-Boy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Got this from JB a few weeks ago, and I still can't believe he parted with it; it smokes as fine as it looks. Maybe better. Still, he didn't include any tobac samples when he shipped it.
Yeah. It's a good one. Just needs to be reamed.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:08 pm
Here's a Savinelli 320 KS that I bought recently.

It was NOS - with box and sock. The top of the stem was badly oxidized; consequently, the price was very low. A few minutes with some micro mesh pads and a rub with Obsidian Oil cleaned it up pretty well.

This one is going up to school.
Along with a large pouch filled with Trout Stream, I bet. Ah. Trout Stream. Sure wish whoever makes TS for P&C would get off their butts and make some more. They've been back ordered for months, it seems.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:17 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:08 pm
Here's a Savinelli 320 KS that I bought recently.

It was NOS - with box and sock. The top of the stem was badly oxidized; consequently, the price was very low. A few minutes with some micro mesh pads and a rub with Obsidian Oil cleaned it up pretty well.

This one is going up to school.
Along with a large pouch filled with Trout Stream, I bet. Ah. Trout Stream. Sure wish whoever makes TS for P&C would get off their butts and make some more. They've been back ordered for months, it seems.
A few weeks back they had it on sale.
Of course when I went to buy more it was backordered.

In its place, I've tried a few other aromatics that are new to me. The keeper was Boswell Piper's Pleasure. It has a very strong chocolate tin note and a room note that my wife likes (which is the point of aromatics for me - I smoke them when I'm concerned about my smoke bothering others), but I didn't find the flavoring overpowering when smoked. I could taste the nuttiness of the Burley and unlike a lot of other aromatics the tobacco neither became harsh and hot toward the bottom of the bowl nor left any wet dottle.

I have about a pound of Trout Stream left, but I'll supplement it with Piper's Pleasure and Chatham Manor at work. I also smoke SG Best Brown Flake with a little BCA added around others.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 pm

My brother had been looking for a Peterson System pipe and I saw this one at Tobacco Pipes.com this evening. W/ their 10% off sale it came to only $111.00 including free shipping to him. It's a good sized bowl with lots of very nice briar for the money, and high contrast stain,...yet quite light weight, due to the quality of the graining.

Length: 6.01 in.
Height: 2.14 in.
Weight: 2.7 oz.
Bowl Depth: 1.75 in.
Bowl Outside Diameter: 1.94 in.
Bowl Inside Diameter: 0.85 in

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:47 am

Thanks to Goose's parents for giving the world two of him. My latest pie purchase was a pecan from Walmart. Sorry, no pictures.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:40 am

Fainn wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:47 am
Thanks to Goose's parents for giving the world two of him. My latest pie purchase was a pecan from Walmart. Sorry, no pictures.
Pecan Pie. That's as southern a pie as one can have, no?

As for two of us, we are not twins. Quite a bot of difference between us in many ways.

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Italian Whitehall sandblasted billiard with the "action trap" spent a whole 6.00 on it with the promise to come back and look though an old gents collection. I just grabbed a couple that looked game for a simple restoration and examined a few more. He had a couple Peterson bowls without stems, .... Looks like P charges 30- for a new stem so..... Why not Image

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Eruannu on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:10 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Got this from JB a few weeks ago, and I still can't believe he parted with it; it smokes as fine as it looks. Maybe better. Still, he didn't include any tobac samples when he shipped it.
Yeah. It's a good one. Just needs to be reamed.
It wasn't that bad. I've been smoking a few bowls. But I'll probably do some incremental reaming.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Re: RE: Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Eruannu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:10 am

Oops

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm

I gave in to the PAD and purchased this. It is an Iwan Ries labeled estate. When I first looked at it, I didn't like it, but it grew on me and I placed a bid and no one else did...It arrived yesterday and is currently getting the salt treatment. When I get it all cleaned up, I'll take some photos. The more I look at it the more I like it.
Sorry about the picture size...it is the auction picture.
Iwan Ries "Black Knight"
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm
I gave in to the PAD and purchased this. It is an Iwan Ries labeled estate. When I first looked at it, I didn't like it, but it grew on me and I placed a bid and no one else did...It arrived yesterday and is currently getting the salt treatment. When I get it all cleaned up, I'll take some photos. The more I look at it the more I like it.
Sorry about the picture size...it is the auction picture.
Iwan Ries "Black Knight"
Nifty pipe, BH.
I'm looking forward to photos after it arrives.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Outrageousness achieved:

MMmm - Outrageous
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 pm
Outrageousness achieved:

MMmm - Outrageous
Yessssssss!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:26 am

Pepik wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 pm
Outrageousness achieved:

MMmm - Outrageous
That is quite a large chambered pipe. Congrats on your obtaining it.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am

Pepik wrote:Outrageousness achieved:

MMmm - Outrageous
Mmmmm indeed.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:00 pm

This is a Karl Erik Freehand "A" I recently found it on eBay and I'm wondering how much it might be worth. Stem was oxidized and bowl now glistens with Halcyon II Wax. It is unsmoked.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 am

I found a real deal last evening. A very very nice--almost new--large Pipa Croci on ebay w/ no bidders, so I won it for $49. Just my kind of pipe, too. Nice graining, 7/8 inch chamber, 1 - 7/8 deep. I prefer bent pipes, but I will give this one a try.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 am
I found a real deal last evening. A very very nice--almost new--large Pipa Croci on ebay w/ no bidders, so I won it for $49. Just my kind of pipe, too. Nice graining, 7/8 inch chamber, 1 - 7/8 deep. I prefer bent pipes, but I will give this one a try.

Really nice flame grain, and I love the birdseye on the rim!
That diamond shank suits the shape quite nicely.

I think you'll enjoy it, Goose.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:40 pm

My Teipen has arrived from South Africa:

Wayne was kind enough to share this information with me:
Wayne Teipen wrote:The briar was Yazid Algerian from the original 100 blocks I purchased from Steve Norse at Vermont Freehand when he liquidated his ebay store when I first started making pipes.

The inlay wood is black & white ebony that was gifted to me from a good friend, Scott Thile. You probably are already aware of this but Scott is the father of the famous mandolin musician, Chris Thile, of the bands Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek.

The stem is ebonite purchased from New York Hamburg, Germany (NYH.) I remember that pipe got lost in the mail on it's way to South Africa. If I remember correctly, it took over three months to arrive. I was sweating it.
It only took a couple of weeks to get here from South Africa, but I was sweating it, too.

I feel utterly blessed to have it, Wayne. It's light as a feather (37g) and absolutely gorgeous.
I'll have an inaugural smoke in it this afternoon!

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:40 pm
My Teipen has arrived from South Africa:

Wayne was kind enough to share this information with me:
Wayne Teipen wrote:The briar was Yazid Algerian from the original 100 blocks I purchased from Steve Norse at Vermont Freehand when he liquidated his ebay store when I first started making pipes.

The inlay wood is black & white ebony that was gifted to me from a good friend, Scott Thile. You probably are already aware of this but Scott is the father of the famous mandolin musician, Chris Thile, of the bands Punch Brothers and Nickel Creek.

The stem is ebonite purchased from New York Hamburg, Germany (NYH.) I remember that pipe got lost in the mail on it's way to South Africa. If I remember correctly, it took over three months to arrive. I was sweating it.
It only took a couple of weeks to get here from South Africa, but I was sweating it, too.

I feel utterly blessed to have it, Wayne. It's light as a feather (37g) and absolutely gorgeous.
I'll have an inaugural smoke in it this afternoon!
And what tobacco had the honor of the 1st smoke in that pipe, DP?