Pipe and other hardware related discussions
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 pm
Found this one at what looked like a yard sale on eBay,.. a Calabresi Billiard with very nice graining. Too good of a deal to even say how good. It is pretty close to being unsmoked. All I did was clean the outside of the bowl and wax it.

Ebay listing read "Calabrest" And this one reason why I found it so cheap. The seller thought the "i" was a "t." And "Calabrest" could not be found by those looking for Calabresi

Very nice grain, Goose.
A lovely billiard.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:44 pm
I bought a no-name Dublin through eBay. The seller sent me the wrong pipe. What I recieved was an old Dr. Grabow with very nice grain, only some schmo used a hand engraver and deeply etched "F--- You" on the side of the bowl. The seller was apologetic and gracious. He refunded my money and told me to keep the pipe.

I want to know which one of you guys sold it to me?
That's incredible.
And how did the seller not notice??

Now you have to figure out what to do with it.
I'd call an exorcist.
HA! I'd smoke it! The story alone...
Although it probably has some residual Mary J in there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm
It arrived yesterday . . .
The Mark Tinsky Pristine finish, one star, group 5 billiard:

Photographed with its Mark Tinsky brethren - around 30 years of pipe making history in the photo.
That's a loooong time exposure. You should be able to see Tinky's big bang.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Rusty wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 pm
It arrived yesterday . . .
The Mark Tinsky Pristine finish, one star, group 5 billiard:

Photographed with its Mark Tinsky brethren - around 30 years of pipe making history in the photo.
That's a loooong time exposure. You should be able to see Tinky's big bang.
DurangoPipe is in Tinsky pipe heaven
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Goose55 wrote: DurangoPipe is in Tinsky pipe heaven
Ah, yes.
And it's heavenly.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh, boy. I found another estate Brandy I am going to enjoy. Has a whopping 1 inch diameter chamber about 1 -7/8 deep, and is a clencher, due to it being about 5 -1/2 inches long. It's very well balanced. And I think the 360 ring grain is light, even though the chamber walls are quite thick. It's an Ascorti Sabbia Di Oro KS, hand made in Italy.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:35 am

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:00 pm
Oh, boy. I found another estate Brandy I am going to enjoy. Has a whopping 1 inch diameter chamber about 1 -7/8 deep, and is a clencher, due to it being about 5 -1/2 inches long. It's very well balanced. And I think the 360 ring grain is light, even though the chamber walls are quite thick. It's an Ascorti Sabbia Di Oro KS, hand made in Italy.

Looks like a nice one...You seem to find some gems
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 am

A MM Country Gent, which will probably be used exclusively for Grousemoore and the like.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 am

I bought a BriarWorks bullmoose for my son that I haven't sent to him yet.
It's a nice looking pipe with a root beer colored acrylic stem I really like.

I'll try to get a photo up shortly.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 pm

This is the BriarWorks Bullmoose I bought for my son:

It's the first BriarWorks pipe I've seen in-the-flesh, and I'm impressed with its appearance. I love the shape, and the stem reminds me of the "rootbeer" line guide on some antique Hardy fly reels. I'll have to wait to hear from my son how well it smokes.

This is an estate Tim West silver-banded bent brandy I just finished cleaning up for myself:

The Tim West is a nice handful. The pipe is 6 1/2" long, the chamber dimensions are 0.85" wide by 1.90" deep, and it weighs just over 3oz. Almost big enough to be a Goose pipe!

This will definitely be a weekend smoker for me.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:57 pm
This is an estate Tim West silver-banded bent brandy I just finished cleaning up for myself:

The Tim West is a nice handful. The pipe is 6 1/2" long, the chamber dimensions are 0.85" wide by 1.90" deep, and it weighs just over 3oz. Almost big enough to be a Goose pipe!

This will definitely be a weekend smoker for me.
But that pipe has my name written ALL over it! It's too beautiful for words. I will PM you my mailing address.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:43 pm
But that pipe has my name written ALL over it! It's too beautiful for words. I will PM you my mailing address.
:pipe3:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm feeling positively evil, Goose.

Here's a size comparison between the Tim West and a Comoy's bent apple:

Put some plastic over your keyboard.
I don't want you to drool all over your new computer. :mrgreen:

That Comoy's is a pretty old pre-Cadogan. I'm expecting the Tim West to develop the same, rich coloring with similar time and use.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:16 pm
I'm feeling positively evil, Goose.

Here's a size comparison between the Tim West and a Comoy's bent apple:

Put some plastic over your keyboard.
I don't want you to drool all over your new computer. :mrgreen:

That Comoy's is a pretty old pre-Cadogan. I'm expecting the Tim West to develop the same, rich coloring with similar time and use.
I do like that Tim West pipe! I like it very much. Oh! Just how much McClelland Tudor Castle could I pack into that thing!

If ever you have to thin the herd and that one is one of them, please remember me. Please?
Last edited by Goose55 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 pm

A Preben Holm Ben Wade XL Tall Bent Smooth Brandy Scoop. My kinda pipe!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 pm

A Willmer stacked Dublin. There is a stem and shank to this pipe. It's just hidden by the very tall bowl

And a Charantan's Make Lane Era Calabash

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
I found my rigid Starrett 6" scale with the exact same graduations as that (they're offered in fractional or decimal graduations) when I was packing the contents of my nightstand the other day. I have no idea how it got there but I was delighted to be reunited with it. I bought it 39 years ago and it felt great to hold it once again and then deposit it safely in it's place in my toolbox.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:19 pm
durangopipe wrote:
I found my rigid Starrett 6" scale with the exact same graduations as that (they're offered in fractional or decimal graduations) when I was packing the contents of my nightstand the other day. I have no idea how it got there but I was delighted to be reunited with it. I bought it 39 years ago and it felt great to hold it once again and then deposit it safely in it's place in my toolbox.
Yep.
It's one of my prized "tools."
I keep it in a small drawer, with a few other otherwise easy to lose tools, on my workbench.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Yep.
I keep it in a small drawer, with a few other otherwise easy to lose tools, on my workbench.
Hah! No idea, indeed. Sounds like ol' Fred was measuring his pecker.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:24 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Yep.
Hah! No idea, indeed. Sounds like ol' Fred was measuring his pecker.
:lol:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown