Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Your Latest Pipe Purchase!

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

A made in England Willmer Straight Grain Hand Made Large Stack Dublin. Almost one inch diameter, and over two inches deep tobacco chamber......

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm

A Gefapip Giant forward cant Brandy

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:51 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 pm
A Gefapip Giant forward cant Brandy

I really want to know what you think of it. I love my Gefapips.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am

Here's a recent one that came through here. A Giant Tilshead Smooth Canadian. Not sure why it was graded as a Tilshead. There didn't seem to be any flaws in it I could see. Nearly one inch wide and two inch deep chamber, yet extremely lightweight

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:01 am

Wow. That's a pipe.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 am
Here's a recent one that came through here. A Giant Tilshead Smooth Canadian. Not sure why it was graded as a Tilshead. There didn't seem to be any flaws in it I could see. Nearly one inch wide and two inch deep chamber, yet extremely lightweight

Little sand spots are visible even in your pictures (Goose's completed eBay listing - technically this is one of Goose's recent pipe sales rather than a purchase). That's all it took to consign a lovely pipe to the Tilshead grade. They're often bargains. It's a curious comparison with Upshall Barks that must have had much worse defects to be rusticated. Barks were more expensive than Tilsheads. And I have quite a few Upshall Barks so this isn't a bias against them. I can only imagine that this sort of thing is a curious artifact of their grading process.

Why is it a golden colour? I notice that a lot of your pipes are that colour. AFAIK Tilshead pipes were never that colour. Do you have any pre-refurb pics that you can share with us?
Last edited by Rusty on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 am
Goose55 wrote:

Little sand spots are visible even in your pictures (Goose's completed eBay listing). That's all it took to consign a lovely pipe to the Tilshead grade. They're often bargains. It's a curious comparison with Upshall Barks that must have had much worse defects to be rusticated.

Why is it a golden colour? I notice that a lot of your pipes are that colour. AFAIK Tilshead pipes were never that colour. Do you have any pre-refurb pics that you can share with us?
I use a solvent to clean the stummels of any and all skin oils grime, etc., before waxing. That does lighten them a bit. I also use a setting for shaded from sun and exposure compensation in photographing on the white background. But that actually was pretty much how the pipe looked. I had read somewhere that the P Grade Upshalls are darker

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:45 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Little sand spots are visible even in your pictures (Goose's completed eBay listing). That's all it took to consign a lovely pipe to the Tilshead grade. They're often bargains. It's a curious comparison with Upshall Barks that must have had much worse defects to be rusticated.

I use a solvent to clean the stummels of any and all skin oils grime, etc., before waxing. That does lighten them a bit. I also use a setting for shaded from sun and exposure compensation in photographing on the white background. But that actually was pretty much how the pipe looked. I had read somewhere that the P Grade Upshalls are darker
It's very hard comparing photographs but earlier Tilshead's were a light brown (late 80's through early 90's, I think) and they finally stained them in a plum colour for the later ones in the 2000's. The P grade was a very light stain. As the grades get better the stain gets lighter to show off grain.

Here's a P-grade of mine when it was new... It's a lighter stain colour than your Tilshead.

You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 am

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:45 am
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

It's very hard comparing photographs but earlier Tilshead's were a light brown (late 80's through early 90's, I think) and they finally stained them in a plum colour for the later ones in the 2000's. The P grade was a very light stain. As the grades get better the stain gets lighter to show off grain.

Here's a P-grade of mine when it was new... It's a lighter stain colour than your Tilshead.

Nice looking pipe.

The Tilshead left the nest and flew out the door in less than a day. That was a record.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:17 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 am
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Nice looking pipe.

The Tilshead left the nest and flew out the door in less than a day. That was a record.
I believe it. Grain gets a crazy reaction from otherwise normal people.
Believe it or not that P-grade Lovat of mine is a half inch longer than your Tilshead Canadian. Upshall disrupts Long-shank Anonymous with many of their lovely long shanked pipes. But the bowl is quite a bit smaller. It hums in glorious resonance with McClelland Virginias. It's quite a bit darker now with a lot of use.

Here's a testament, or maybe it should be called confession, of my Long shank affliction...
Note the very long shanked Bulldog in the middle. That's a 7 & 1/2 " Tilshead Bulldog.

I'm afflicted.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:17 am
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Nice looking pipe.

Believe it or not that P-grade Lovat of mine is a half inch longer than your Tilshead Canadian. Upshall disrupts Long-shank Anonymous with many of their lovely long shanked pipes. But the bowl is quite a bit smaller. It hums in glorious resonance with McClelland Virginias. It's quite a bit darker now with a lot of use.

Here's a testament, or maybe it should be called confession, of my Long shank affliction...
Note the very long shanked Bulldog in the middle. That's a 7 & 1/2 " Tilshead Bulldog.

I'm afflicted.
I have not yet acquired a liking for the Bulldog shape. Not sure why. If I had to give a reason I'd say it's just aesthetics. I don't find them beautiful.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Nice looking pipe.

I'm afflicted.
I have not yet acquired a liking for the Bulldog shape. Not sure why. If I had to give a reason I'd say it's just aesthetics. I don't find them beautiful.
It's perfectly ok to have your own preferences in pipe shapes and ignore others.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Rusty wrote:

I'm afflicted.
Nice pipes, Rusty.
I share your affliction.

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:28 pm
Rusty wrote:

I'm afflicted.
Nice pipes, Rusty.
I share your affliction.

I fear I'd find a way to accidentally break such a narrow, long stemmed pipe.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I'm afflicted.
Nice pipes, Rusty.
I share your affliction.

I suppose that's true. If, for example, you stick it in the back pocket of your pants and then sit on it then it's possible to break it. If you drop a pipe on cement it's quite likely that either the shank mortise or the stem tenon will break. There are lots of ways to break pipes. Any pipe. Some people drop almost everything. That'll break a pipe. It will likely shatter a Turkish meerschaum. Putting it on the roof of the car and then driving away is a pretty good way to break or lose them. So keeping them for years without breaking them is an act of defiance in some ways. It's also probably related to the extent to which they are integrated into our lives. If you tend to look for your pipe and tobacco before you get up, even when you don't have them then they're a well integrated personal accessory that isn't ever far from your thoughts. I don't know whether this is news or not but the world isn't in favour of us having pipes. Oppose it. Keep your pipes. Don't break them. I haven't broken a pipe in many years. I no longer think it's normal to break pipes. Any pipe. I don't break my phone either though I'd like to. But that wouldn't serve any purpose. I suspect that it's partly that I don't cart pipes around quite so much as I used to. I do cart the phone around. There is no place where smoking is allowed anyway so there is no motivation to take them along. If I can refrain from breaking the phone, which deserves it, then I think I can refrain from breaking pipes, which don't deserve it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:23 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I'm afflicted.
Nice pipes, Rusty.
I share your affliction.

I suppose that's true. If, for example, you stick it in the back pocket of your pants and then sit on it then it's possible to break it. If you drop a pipe on cement it's quite likely that either the shank mortise or the stem tenon will break. There are lots of ways to break pipes. Any pipe. Some people drop almost everything. That'll break a pipe. It will likely shatter a Turkish meerschaum. Putting it on the roof of the car and then driving away is a pretty good way to break or lose them. So keeping them for years without breaking them is an act of defiance in some ways. It's also probably related to the extent to which they are integrated into our lives. If you tend to look for your pipe and tobacco before you get up, even when you don't have them then they're a well integrated personal accessory that isn't ever far from your thoughts. I don't know whether this is news or not but the world isn't in favour of us having pipes. Oppose it. Keep your pipes. Don't break them. I haven't broken a pipe in many years. I no longer think it's normal to break pipes. Any pipe. I don't break my phone either though I'd like to. But that wouldn't serve any purpose. I suspect that it's partly that I don't cart pipes around quite so much as I used to. I do cart the phone around. There is no place where smoking is allowed anyway so there is no motivation to take them along. If I can refrain from breaking the phone, which deserves it, then I think I can refrain from breaking pipes, which don't deserve it.
Eloquently said.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm

A Savinelli Deluxe Milano with gold stem bar I just cleaned up. Stem was very badly oxidized and took some time to restore it...

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 am

Last night.
On eBay.

A lovely estate pipe, a dark-contrast stained bent Dublin from 1992 by Mark Tinsky.

I put in a low highest bid long before the action was to end assuming someone else would get it. I won the auction for far less than my already low bid.

Clearly, the pipe wanted to be here among its brethren and cistern.
Photos after it arrives

If this keeps up, one day in, say 2038, I'll have a pipe from every year of Mark's illustrious career in pipemaking - and I'll need (in Rusty's words) far more "horizontal surfaces" than I currently have on which to display them.

A man's reach should exceed his grasp . . .

Or what's a horizontal surface for?
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 am

If this keeps up, one day in, say 2038, I'll have a pipe from every year of Mark's illustrious career in pipemaking
I am still going to visit you in Durango one of these days. Even if you aren't home...
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:02 am
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:57 am

If this keeps up, one day in, say 2038, I'll have a pipe from every year of Mark's illustrious career in pipemaking
I am still going to visit you in Durango one of these days. Even if you aren't home...
I'll look forward to it!
And I'll be home, or leave a guard dog behind. :pipe2:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown