Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:23 pm

This is the lead up week for St. Pat's day and it's a good opportunity to share our interest-PAD-afflictions in Peterson Pipes. Describe them, show pics, tell us what you smoke in them..

Digging through my pipes I was a little surprised to discover 16 of the happy blighters.

Oldest: 1945 Pete Dublin cross cut 205 with a silver band (Va)
Youngest: 2003? Sherlock Holmes Watson (unsmoked)
Biggest: 1997 Cross Cut hand made House Pipe (Deluxe System on Steroids) (English)
Smallest: 1974 Dunmore Prince cross cut (Va)
Favourite: 2000 Sherlock Holmes Baker Bulldog in Ebony (Va/Per)

The rest:
1973 2x 307 Standard System (English)
1974 312 Standard System (English)
1974 Kildare 01S bent Billiard cross cut (Va)
1975 Dunmore Bent Billiard cross cut 69 (Va)
1978 Irish Army Mount Bent Billiard (Va/Per)
1979 Deluxe System 9S Blast (English)
1981 Burgundy Silver Mount XL02 (Va) - my second favourite
1985 3xIrish Seconds Apple, Stack, Rhodesian (all Va)

I've always loved the 307 system shape, which also accounts for the 9S. But the Baker in Ebony is a flashy number though in a subdued way.

I'll post some pics... until today I don't think I've ever actually seen them all together.

Yours?

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:37 pm

I have none,but if you ever decide to part with a '74 LMK! :wink:
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 pm

I have one Peterson. It's a lovely little zulu with a p-lip. (Kildare #268) Smooth with cross-grain and plenty of birdseye. I wish the draw were more open.

This pipe has fond memories. I bought it at the Chicago Pipe Show last May. I had only been smoking for 4 months, and I only had 3 briars (counting the Grabow) and a meer, along with some cobs.

I was looking at pipes at the Peterson rep's table, and was handling this lovely Zulu.... when Skip (who was mentoring me at my first pipe show) said the zulu was his favorite shape. "Look, I just bought this one" - producing a similar pipe with a nickel band.

Well... I just had to put $50 on my credit card and buy that Pete zulu!

I think I'll go smoke it now. I've got a bit of Dark Twist left....
Last edited by Del on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm

TheDuke wrote:I have none,but if you ever decide to part with a '74 LMK! :wink:
LMK? What? What'd I miss?

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sorry!LMK is short for Let Me Know. Something I picked up from the young'uns! :lol:
O give thanks unto the LORD;for he is good;for his mercy endureth forever.Psalm 136;1 

Man...smoking a turd....could there be anything worse? Well....maybe smoking a cob. SimeonTurner3/5/10                         

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 pm

TheDuke wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Sorry!LMK is short for Let Me Know. Something I picked up from the young'uns! :lol:
What's the attraction for 70's Pete's?

Those were my early years as a pipes smoker and they were very affordable. Std System pipes in 1973 were C$16.95. But the Company was asleep in those years and the pipes have pits and fills all over them. You could find better wood on the average broom handle. There were certainly exceptions, like the Dunmores and the Kildare, but they weren't remarkable. Peterson has had it's up and downs, but aside from the nasty habit of dip staining, the pipes of today look better to me than the ones I have. Other reports suggest that their quality appears to be up too. My '70's Pete's really do smoke extremely well - but they don't look like much. Surprisingly my favourites plus the 307's & 9S easily blow the Pre-republic Dublin away on smoking quality. So older is not always better.

TheDuke
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by TheDuke » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Rusty wrote: What's the attraction for 70's Pete's?
My birthday is 1/6/74. On another forum there was a topic about owning a Dunhill from your birth year. I find the price of these to be ridiculous! So the thought of a '74 Pete is somewhat appealing.(sorry to hijack the thread with this :oops: )

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

My first pipe was a Peterson, and I seem to prefer Petersons, they’re half my (very modest) collection. I usually have a shorter time to smoke, and I like Va based blends, so the smallish, classic Peterson shapes appeal to me.

Donegal 01 – first pipe (Va, burley, Cavendish – my “anything not goopy, ghosty or English”)
Cara 03 – (Danish)
Army 69 – (SG Grousemoor dedicated)
Classic Deluxe 264 (Va)

Visiting Champaign, IL Friday; Jon’s Pipe Shop is there; sounds like an excuse to buy another Pete!
"It's the mark of civilized defecation" - hugodrax

"Perhaps Waste Should Be Left to the Professionals" - John-Boy

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am

I have five Petersons:

1979 107 - Donegal Finish, P-Lip
2007 Pipe of the Year - Smooth Finish, T-Lip
2008 D6 Churchwarden - Smooth Finish, T-Lip
2009 307 System - Ebony Finish, P-Lip
2009 St Patrick's Day 80s - Smooth Finish, T-Lip
"I do not understand the mystery of grace -- only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us."
-Anne Lamott

Briarman
Usher
Usher

Post by Briarman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 am

I have 15 Petes, 3 de-luxe smooth finish systems.. 2 harps...4 kinsales...2 outdoor series... 2 donegals... 2 arans.. will definitly buy some more.
arise and stand on your feet, for i have loved you with an everlasting love

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 am

Del wrote:I have one Peterson. It's a lovely little zulu with a p-lip. (Kildare #268) Smooth with cross-grain and plenty of birdseye. I wish the draw were more open.

This pipe has fond memories. I bought it at the Chicago Pipe Show last May. I had only been smoking for 4 months, and I only had 3 briars (counting the Grabow) and a meer, along with some cobs.

I was looking at pipes at the Peterson rep's table, and was handling this lovely Zulu.... when Skip (who was mentoring me at my first pipe show) said the zulu was his favorite shape. "Look, I just bought this one" - producing a similar pipe with a nickel band.

Well... I just had to put $50 on my credit card and buy that Pete zulu!

I think I'll go smoke it now. I've got a bit of Dark Twist left....
Good memories, Del. And exploring the C&D table. Then you sitting out in the tent with two guys wearing kilts. :lol:
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 am

I have one, maybe two Petersons (see below for the maybe). The first is a run of the mill, Donegal B5.

Number two is a peculiar old billiard I picked up in a bargain lot of pipes off eBay. It is simply marked "Straight Grain" on the left shank, "MADE IN LONDON // ENGLAND" on the right shank, and "Peterson's" on the bottom. The "'s" after Peterson and London make nomenclature leads me to believe maybe there was a shop somewhere named Peterson's that sold this as their house brand? I know Peterson did have a presence in England, but don't know how to nail down the information about them.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 am

Sherlock Holmes original w/p-lip stem - dedicated to University Flake and similar
Kinsale XL11 rustic w/fishtail stem - dedicated to english
Kinsale XL14 rustic w/fishtail stem - dedicated to aromatics (primarily C&D Autumn Evening)

System Standards
306 rustic
307 smooth
312 smooth
313 smooth - dedicated to virginias
XL315 smooth - dedicated to virginias
XL315 rustic - dedicated to english
All have p-lip stems
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:51 am

SandPiper wrote:I have one, maybe two Petersons (see below for the maybe). The first is a run of the mill, Donegal B5.

Number two is a peculiar old billiard I picked up in a bargain lot of pipes off eBay. It is simply marked "Straight Grain" on the left shank, "MADE IN LONDON // ENGLAND" on the right shank, and "Peterson's" on the bottom. The "'s" after Peterson and London make nomenclature leads me to believe maybe there was a shop somewhere named Peterson's that sold this as their house brand? I know Peterson did have a presence in England, but don't know how to nail down the information about them.
Peterson apparently had a manufacturing shop in England, as well as the one in Ireland, for many years from the late 19th C. until at least up into the 50's. All of the pipes (with a variety of stamps) that indicated London or England were made there.

http://pipelore.net/index.php?id=33

For those of that are interested in how Peterson sees grading, fills, etc there is a very good thread on the old Knox forum:

http://forums.knoxcigar.net/viewtopic.php?t=6035

Briarman
Usher
Usher

Post by Briarman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:57 pm

When i first started smoking a pipe, i visited a Peterson manufacturing base on the outskirts of London, it had a showroom, i bought a Pete silver spigot there, that was 1985, not sure when it closed down, muust have been soon after, i agree with Rusty Petes are better quality these days.
arise and stand on your feet, for i have loved you with an everlasting love

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Rusty wrote:
SandPiper wrote:I have one, maybe two Petersons (see below for the maybe). The first is a run of the mill, Donegal B5.

Peterson apparently had a manufacturing shop in England, as well as the one in Ireland, for many years from the late 19th C. until at least up into the 50's. All of the pipes (with a variety of stamps) that indicated London or England were made there.

http://pipelore.net/index.php?id=33

For those of that are interested in how Peterson sees grading, fills, etc there is a very good thread on the old Knox forum:

http://forums.knoxcigar.net/viewtopic.php?t=6035
Thanks, Rusty. I was hoping someone here would have some info.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

micah
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by micah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Well, for someone who has gone from 1 cheap pipe to 9 pipes total in about a week. I'm doing pretty good, I think. But can only offer that I have 3 petersons.
1 - Bulldog (early 2000's)
2- Sytem Standard 317
3- Donegal "Rocky"

If anyone can tell me a way to date these fairly accurately I'd appreciate it!

Micah

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 pm

micah wrote:Well, for someone who has gone from 1 cheap pipe to 9 pipes total in about a week. I'm doing pretty good, I think. But can only offer that I have 3 petersons.
2- Sytem Standard 317
3- Donegal "Rocky"

Micah
Get down on one knee ... and tell the pipe that you'd be honoured if it would accompany you to dinner/movie/ etc etc.... keep repeating over and over (for emphasis) that you're not married to a Dunhill and that green is a natural colour for pipes... from Ireland. Don't forget to bring flowers (or at least processed tobacco leaves).

No sneaky stuff in the back seat! Or you'll find yourself sitting alone with a load of ash on your head.

micah
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by micah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Rusty wrote:
micah wrote:Well, for someone who has gone from 1 cheap pipe to 9 pipes total in about a week. I'm doing pretty good, I think. But can only offer that I have 3 petersons.
2- Sytem Standard 317
3- Donegal "Rocky"

Micah
Get down on one knee ... and tell the pipe that you'd be honoured if it would accompany you to dinner/movie/ etc etc.... keep repeating over and over (for emphasis) that you're not married to a Dunhill and that green is a natural colour for pipes... from Ireland. Don't forget to bring flowers (or at least processed tobacco leaves).

No sneaky stuff in the back seat! Or you'll find yourself sitting alone with a load of ash on your head.
I always keep my hands to myself on the first date! Now...the rest of the parts of my body...... :P

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:55 pm

micah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
2- Sytem Standard 317
3- Donegal "Rocky"

Micah

I always keep my hands to myself on the first date! Now...the rest of the parts of my body...... :P
You use your knee? EIIIIYA! I can't look.