hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Skip wrote:I've been meaning to ask this: mining for Pete's what? Who the hell is Pete? And why are you after his stuff?
He has cool pipes.
Pete's Peterson pipes are priority purchases.
Precisely!
Pipe-perfection personified.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 pm

I have more of these somewhere.. But don't care at this moment. A Fraternity a Brother of mine was in Dublin and visited the Peterson's store. He snagged me two Ebony systems (a 303 and a 304) with the P-lip for a rather decent price! The folks at the store even threw in a nice glass and Pewter tamper - Traditional Sherlock head casting in the Pewter.

The collection I had available to Welcome the new pair:

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:50 pm

I have a couple of unsmoked Petes I'll be selling in a few days. And a nice Peterson army mount that DL sent my way to clean up. (Sorry man, the POY made me forget I even had that one. :oops: )
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Pepik wrote:I have more of these somewhere.. But don't care at this moment. A Fraternity a Brother of mine was in Dublin and visited the Peterson's store. He snagged me two Ebony systems (a 303 and a 304) with the P-lip for a rather decent price! The folks at the store even threw in a nice glass and Pewter tamper - Traditional Sherlock head casting in the Pewter.

:chili:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Jocose wrote:
Pepik wrote:I have more of these somewhere.. But don't care at this moment. A Fraternity a Brother of mine was in Dublin and visited the Peterson's store. He snagged me two Ebony systems (a 303 and a 304) with the P-lip for a rather decent price! The folks at the store even threw in a nice glass and Pewter tamper - Traditional Sherlock head casting in the Pewter.

:chili:
Wonderful pipes, Joe.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 pm

I thought it might be nice to update this thread and see everyone's Pete's again.
A lot of new members since the last posts, and I imagine some of the new members have some Petes to show.

I just gathered mine together (brought some home from work for the summer) and made a family portrait:

From top to bottom right
Donegal Rocky 268 with nickel band
Donegal Rocky B5 with nickel band
Donegal Rocky XL264 with hallmarked sterling band
Dublin Edition 999 with nickel band

Top to bottom left
Kapet 150 with nickel band
Donegal Rocky 106 with hallmarked sterling band

Managed to forget to include this one, recently acquired, in the photo:

Flame Grain B10 with a hallmarked sterling band and Cumberland stem.

All fishtails, nary a P-Lip among them.

Many of these pipes go back and forth to work where I typically smoke aromatics - usually Trout Stream, 1Q + BCA or Best Brown Flake with some BCA added.

The 106 and XL264 stay home and are filled with Virginias. I'm still breaking in the B10, which will also stay home, mostly with Virginia flakes.

I'm not smoking nearly as much Latakia as I did. I'm sure the urge will return. I mostly smoke blends with Latakia in my old Comoy's and Orliks - English tobaccos in English pipes. It helps an old, absent-minded guy keep things straight.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 pm

I sold all of my Pete's except one and I haven't smoked it in over a year.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:23 pm

From top to bottom right
Donegal Rocky 268 with nickel band
Donegal Rocky B5 with nickel band
Donegal Rocky XL264 with hallmarked sterling band
Dublin Edition 999 with nickel band
I'm a sucker for the Pete 999 shape. One of my favorites in all of pipedom. You have a beautiful one.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Since last posting, I've acquired my first Rosslare Classic - a 150 bulldog. I think it's a lovely pipe.
I spent the week smoking mostly Petes at work and my fondness for them has grown as a consequence.

I've made and posted photos of all of them but the Rosslare.
I hope to have some time to get a photo made and up tomorrow.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:25 pm

Here it is . . .

Whatever quality control issues Peterson may have been having in the recent past, they seem to have been resolved, at least as far as this Rosslare goes. The drilling is spot on. The fit and finish are excellent, and there was no stain inside the shank.

I may well look for another.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:25 pm
Here it is . . .

Whatever quality control issues Peterson may have been having in the recent past, they seem to have been resolved, at least as far as this Rosslare goes. The drilling is spot on. The fit and finish are excellent, and there was no stain inside the shank.

Eight!

8O You're doubling the size of your Pete collection every year! You need to start one of these threads for Tinsky pipes.

Next year's target: 16

We're watching you. LOL!

I have 16 Petes and it'll probably never grow beyond that. Even ID has more Pete's than that. My Pete purchases span from the early 70's through to the late 90's and a couple in the 2000's.

Actually, aside from the dip staining - which they stopped, their quality is better than we saw in the 70's and 80's.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

durangopipe

Re: Mining for Pete's - Whatchya

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:06 pm
Eight!

8O You're doubling the size of your Pete collection every year! You need to start one of these threads for Tinsky pipes.

Next year's target: 16

We're watching you. LOL!

I have 16 Petes and it'll probably never grow beyond that. Even ID has more Pete's than that. My Pete purchases span from the early 70's through to the late 90's and a couple in the 2000's.

Actually, aside from the dip staining - which they stopped, their quality is better than we saw in the 70's and 80's.
I need to go into the PADness protection program. :baghead:

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm

Rusty wrote:
The rustication on the current Donegal Rockies kind of sucks - at least the ones I've seen.
My older rusticated Petes look like the craftsmen had more skill, more pride in their work and took more time.

There are a lot of pieces that make up "quality." I'm no expert on Petes, but I won't buy a new Donegal Rocky until and unless the rustication starts to show signs of talent, pride and effort again.

But I wouldn't kick a current Flame Grain or Rosslare out of bed for eating crackers.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm
Rusty wrote:
The rustication on the current Donegal Rockies kind of sucks - at least the ones I've seen.
My older rusticated Petes look like the craftsmen had more skill, more pride in their work and took more time.

There are a lot of pieces that make up "quality." I'm no expert on Petes, but I won't buy a new Donegal Rocky until and unless the rustication starts to show signs of talent, pride and effort again.

But I wouldn't kick a current Flame Grain or Rosslare out of bed for eating crackers.
Last year I had to break in a Peterson Deluxe that was dipstained and ordered through the distributor. U don't buy that the Time of Troubles is over, but it's worth the pain

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am

durangopipe wrote:
Here it is . . .

I have this same pipe, band an all except it has a black stem
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:16 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm
Rusty wrote:

Touchy, cranky bastard, isn't he?
You just prefer an older rustication style. It's ok but this is the art of pipe making. Rustication styles change over time mostly because the pipe makers change. Go back and look at some of them from much earlier. It might be that they're using a machine now as well. I don't know. Soulless, manifolds in lace without domain walls. Now that's quality.
Give a man three pipes and he's as pleased as punch. Give him a hundred and he starts whining. :lol:
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 am

Since this thread was last seen hanging out on the front page, I've acquired about 10 more Petes and sold 4 or 5. The Missus did a count the other day, to prove some point I can't remember now because I was too excited to see how many I had, and she came up with a number that she said was more than one per day for a month. Seemed about right. Until I remembered that one box I hadn't opened since the move. :-D
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am

Rusty wrote:You just prefer an older rustication style. It's ok but this is the art of pipe making. Rustication styles change over time mostly because the pipe makers change. Go back and look at some of them from much earlier. It might be that they're using a machine now as well. I don't know.
Exhibit A (a lovely, older Donegal Rocky - from the web):

Exhibit B (one of my older Donegals that I rather like):

Exhibit C (a not entirely atypical current Donnegal Rocky):

I suppose this might be a simple matter of preference or taste, but the older Rockys appear to me to have required more time and skill in the rustication as well as a more refined aesthetic sensibility - i.e. a talented, experienced craftsperson who cared deeply about his or her work. I see little evidence of that in the rustication on the current range of Rockys.

The loss off the hallmarked silver band is another suggestion of, for want of a better word, frugality on the part of the maker.

If you like the current version, Rusty, by all means enjoy them. De gustibus non disputandum est, and all that.
I bought one of the current models. I'm not pleased with it. I'll buy estates in this range that appeal to me, at least for now.

More likely, as I said, another Flame Grain or Rosslare.
Irish-Dane wrote:Since this thread was last seen hanging out on the front page, I've acquired about 10 more Petes and sold 4 or 5. The Missus did a count the other day, to prove some point I can't remember now because I was too excited to see how many I had, and she came up with a number that she said was more than one per day for a month. Seemed about right. Until I remembered that one box I hadn't opened since the move.
My Pete's are on a desk in my office at home (except for the ones I leave at work now). My wife just smiles and shakes her head, God bless her.

Love to see photos of yours, ID!
Last edited by durangopipe on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am

durangopipe wrote:
Here it is . . .

Beautiful pipe. I've been looking for the Rosslare in a 120 for a long time. I saw one once at smokingpipes, but didn't have the coin. Been on a steady search since.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am

JimVH wrote:I've been looking for the Rosslare in a 120 for a long time. I saw one once at smokingpipes, but didn't have the coin. Been on a steady search since.
This one, Jim?

Gorgeous pipe!
Good luck with your search.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown