Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Pipe and other hardware related discussions
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:38 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:43 am
Rusty wrote:You just prefer an older rustication style. It's ok but this is the art of pipe making. Rustication styles change over time mostly because the pipe makers change. Go back and look at some of them from much earlier. It might be that they're using a machine now as well. I don't know.
Exhibit A (a lovely, older Donegal Rocky - from the web):

Exhibit B (one of my older Donegals that I rather like):

Exhibit C (a not entirely atypical current Donnegal Rocky):

I suppose this might be a simple matter of preference or taste, but the older Rockys appear to me to have required more time and skill in the rustication as well as a more refined aesthetic sensibility - i.e. a talented, experienced craftsperson who cared deeply about his or her work. I see little evidence of that in the rustication on the current range of Rockys.

The loss off the hallmarked silver band is another suggestion of, for want of a better word, frugality on the part of the maker.

If you like the current version, Rusty, by all means enjoy them. De gustibus non disputandum est, and all that.
I bought one of the current models. I'm not pleased with it. I'll buy estates in this range that appeal to me, at least for now.

More likely, as I said, another Flame Grain or Rosslare.
Irish-Dane wrote:Since this thread was last seen hanging out on the front page, I've acquired about 10 more Petes and sold 4 or 5. The Missus did a count the other day, to prove some point I can't remember now because I was too excited to see how many I had, and she came up with a number that she said was more than one per day for a month. Seemed about right. Until I remembered that one box I hadn't opened since the move.
My Pete's are on a desk in my office at home (except for the ones I leave at work now). My wife just smiles and shakes her head, God bless her.

Love to see photos of yours, ID!
I see the changes. I understand but....
That modern one is a doozy. Look at it. Don't enlarge the pic; just look at it. Do you see Indian Corn? It's a Cob rusticated finish. That's cool. It has repetition in the pattern. But then if you enlarge it seems to become something like snake scales. The tree of knowledge. It's the snake in the Garden of Eden. Where is the apple? Squeeze your eyeballs up against the monitor... you see lace. Holy smokes. Way down at Planck scale (well it pixelates before that) it's probably something else.
How can you not be interested? The others are noise. Nice noise, but it's not organized like the modern one. That thing is sending messages. 8O They may be selecting Americans.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Mining for Pete's - Whatchya Got?

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:53 am
JimVH wrote:I've been looking for the Rosslare in a 120 for a long time. I saw one once at smokingpipes, but didn't have the coin. Been on a steady search since.
This one, Jim?

Gorgeous pipe!
Good luck with your search.
That's the ticket!
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS