Green Spots?

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Green Spots?

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I bought a big sampler from one of the online cigar retailers a while ago and last night I took out this Victor Sinclair Primero. I like it and it's low in vitamin N, but it has green spots on the wrapper. Like I said, I smoked it last night and I'm still here, so it can't be all that bad but I wonder if anyone has seen anything similar?

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Green Spots?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Looks like the wrapper isn't well cured or, if it is, is a lower grade of Claro. If it smokes fine then its just superficial.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:15 pm

You need to go see a doctor.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Has it been that way for four or more hours?

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 am

As usual, I was better of asking strangers on the internet for advice than doing it here. UB is closest to the responses from google - water spots on the leaf during curing. No harm. No foul.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:45 am

FredS wrote:As usual, I was better of asking strangers on the internet for advice than doing it here...
yer welcome
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:29 am

Green Spot is an excellent whiskey. Excellent.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:33 am

The green spots mean you need to send me the large Ford magnet from yer tool box.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:04 am

DepartedLight wrote:The green spots mean you need to send me the large Ford magnet from yer tool box.
That's actually a sticker on a big wooden cabinet I built when I was 14 years old. I had just talked my folks in to letting me move to the basement after sharing a room with my brother for 13 years. I needed a place to hang my clothes. I needed a woodworking project for 4-H. Badda bing, badda boom, I built a wardrobe. I used nice birch plywood that I remember costing an arm and a leg even 40 years ago. When I inherited it back from my father when he downsized 20 years ago, I painted it red (to match my toolboxes) and stuck it in the garage for chemical storage.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:26 pm

I think Its a bacteria and likely all the other cigars are infected and that Prince pipe with the white ring is also likely infected...just wrap them all up and send them to me and I will properly dispose of them for you...wouldn't want you to suffer any more....
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:46 pm

FredS wrote:As usual, I was better of asking strangers on the internet for advice than doing it here. UB is closest to the responses from google - water spots on the leaf during curing. No harm. No foul.
People in the Victorian Era paid more for the water spotted cigars. Many of the old brands referenced the presence of spotted wrappers.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:As usual, I was better of asking strangers on the internet for advice than doing it here. UB is closest to the responses from google - water spots on the leaf during curing. No harm. No foul.
People in the Victorian Era paid more for the water spotted cigars. Many of the old brands referenced the presence of spotted wrappers.
If I ever get the kinks worked out of my time machine I'm getting a case of green Hi-Lighters and going back to make my fortune.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:49 pm

FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
If I ever get the kinks worked out of my time machine I'm getting a case of green Hi-Lighters and going back to make my fortune.
damn skippy
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Egads man, what's up with the slobber?
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Jocose wrote:Egads man, what's up with the slobber?
This is Bill Hines. He's an old car customizer (they called him the Lead Slinger) and he's kinda one of my car guy idols. He worked in his shop up until he died a few months ago at age 94. Can you imagine all the lead and paint fumes that guy inhaled, not to mention the thousands of cigars he smoked? He was a hunch-backed crippled old man, but he still worked on cars. Google him - he almost always has a cigar in his mouth. Never in his hand. If keeping a cigar chomped in yer yap was good enough for Bill, it's good enough for me.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:10 pm

Jocose wrote:Egads man, what's up with the slobber?
It's called "moisture".

And yes, I've seen those exact same green spots on cigars ... many times. Particularly on the old Antonio y Cleopatra Grenadiers.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:02 am

I get these on my leaves in Hewa all the time b/c of the humidity. I've smoked them for years now there and no harm...you're good.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

JMG wrote:I get these on my leaves in Hewa all the time b/c of the humidity. I've smoked them for years now there and no harm...you're good.
Not a true test because you have an "Iron Constitution"....you have survived rebellion, bugs, snakes, general jungle life, and almost cutting your thumb off...nope you are not a good test subject...I'm thinking you could even survive exposure to Green Kryptonite...what fear have you of Green Spotted Tobacco.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JMG

Post by JMG » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 am

Bloodhound wrote:
JMG wrote:I get these on my leaves in Hewa all the time b/c of the humidity. I've smoked them for years now there and no harm...you're good.
Not a true test because you have an "Iron Constitution"....you have survived rebellion, bugs, snakes, general jungle life, and almost cutting your thumb off...nope you are not a good test subject...I'm thinking you could even survive exposure to Green Kryptonite...what fear have you of Green Spotted Tobacco.
Nah, I think my body is shutting down lately (maybe those green spots are so good for you after all!)
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad