Ordering cigars online

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
Post Reply
User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3360
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Ordering cigars online

Post by Fainn » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:36 pm

I rarely treat myself to a good cigar, but am interested in buying some Mark Twain memoirs. Been reading some stuff online, but have no idea how accurate it is. Is it true cigars need to rest after being shipped? How long? Will I be okay with a mason jar and a humidfying disk?
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19934
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

I've burned through a couple of boxes of of the Twain Churchills. For what was then about $2.10 per smoke they were a great - mild and smooth - but I've not had the Maduro Memoir. I'm interested to hear what you think of them.

I'm not aware of any need or benefit to resting them. Mason jars will hold the moisture well - too well if you introduce much moisture. I made some really unique mold sticks out of some cigars once using a canning jar.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35704
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Del » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

If you like cigars, you can spend a little money to save a lot of money.

Here is what I recommend:

1) Buy a tabletop humidor for under $50.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidors/

2) Add a humidifying system and a hygrometer.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/accessori ... ification/

3) Buy a box of likely cigars on clearance.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/garage-sale/

4) Set up your system, invite some friends, and share.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3360
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Fainn » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 am

Del wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm
If you like cigars, you can spend a little money to save a lot of money.

Here is what I recommend:

1) Buy a tabletop humidor for under $50.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidors/

2) Add a humidifying system and a hygrometer.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/accessori ... ification/

3) Buy a box of likely cigars on clearance.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/garage-sale/

4) Set up your system, invite some friends, and share.
There's a nice humidor forr $29.99, but I don't have the funds just yet. Birthday is coming up though.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35704
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Del » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:46 am

Fainn wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 am
Del wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm
If you like cigars, you can spend a little money to save a lot of money.

Here is what I recommend:

1) Buy a tabletop humidor for under $50.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/humidors/

2) Add a humidifying system and a hygrometer.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/accessori ... ification/

3) Buy a box of likely cigars on clearance.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/garage-sale/

4) Set up your system, invite some friends, and share.
There's a nice humidor forr $29.99, but I don't have the funds just yet. Birthday is coming up though.
Cigars are a luxury, so they really should come out of "spare funds." That is prudent.

But if you enjoy having and sharing cigars, then the $30 humidor is a one-time investment. You will need a hygrometer and a humidification system... add another $15. The cheap ones work well.

After that, you can buy boxes of 20 good cigars on clearance for about $40, and they will keep as long as it takes you to enjoy them. When your buddy gifts you with a dried-out stick, you can toss it in the humidor for a few weeks and let it gently come back to smokability.

My favorite, when I can get them:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/cigars/90 ... -elefante/
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3360
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Fainn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 pm

The Mark Twain arrived and it is yuge! 8O
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35704
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Del » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:48 pm
The Mark Twain arrived and it is yuge! 8O
More tobacco than I can usually enjoy at one sitting.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mark-t ... s/1503080/
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

saltedplug
Usher
Usher
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by saltedplug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Hope you don't mind, but I disagree with most of what's in this thread. My opinions are just mine and do not really matter. I respect your opinions, but I do disagree.

Cheap humidors typically don't hold moisture, and correct moisture is the single biggest cause of a correct burn, burning evenly without running, and having to torch the unevenly burned tobacco to reestablish a straight line is a chore and wastes tobacco. Moisture is also essential to fermentation, and when the moisture is too low the tobacco won't age properly, or at all. The two moisture problems are a lid that has gaps and doesn't close. The second factor is that a cheap humidor more than likely has little cedar, and cedar holds moisture much better than other woods.

Humidification is achieved first by seasoning, and few do this properly. Once the wood is wet, proper humidification is maintained by a variety of means. I used beads for a long time, but they wear out after a few moisture loads. Boveda humidity packs are the only reliable source of humidity. Like everything else in the cigar world, they are expensive. I threw away my beads and hygrometer, the latter made so cheaply that they never worked. If you go with Boveda and are sure your humidor has been properly/adequately seasoned, you may never have humidity problems again.

As regards the prices of cigars themselves, one likes what they like, but I'd never spend a couple of dollars on a cigar and expect to be satisfied. Most of the cigars sold, except the OTC cardboard/aromatics, are in the $3-$5.00 range. People complain about their cost, but tending to the tobacco in the curing barn ranges, I suppose, from months, and for years for fine cigars. While it ages it must cared for daily, managing the stacks, and rotating them from low to high, and back, depending on the temperature inside the barn. It's labor intensive.

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3360
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Fainn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:48 pm

saltedplug wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm
Hope you don't mind, but I disagree with most of what's in this thread. My opinions are just mine and do not really matter. I respect your opinions, but I do disagree.

Cheap humidors typically don't hold moisture, and correct moisture is the single biggest cause of a correct burn, burning evenly without running, and having to torch the unevenly burned tobacco to reestablish a straight line is a chore and wastes tobacco. Moisture is also essential to fermentation, and when the moisture is too low the tobacco won't age properly, or at all. The two moisture problems are a lid that has gaps and doesn't close. The second factor is that a cheap humidor more than likely has little cedar, and cedar holds moisture much better than other woods.

Humidification is achieved first by seasoning, and few do this properly. Once the wood is wet, proper humidification is maintained by a variety of means. I used beads for a long time, but they wear out after a few moisture loads. Boveda humidity packs are the only reliable source of humidity. Like everything else in the cigar world, they are expensive. I threw away my beads and hygrometer, the latter made so cheaply that they never worked. If you go with Boveda and are sure your humidor has been properly/adequately seasoned, you may never have humidity problems again.

As regards the prices of cigars themselves, one likes what they like, but I'd never spend a couple of dollars on a cigar and expect to be satisfied. Most of the cigars sold, except the OTC cardboard/aromatics, are in the $3-$5.00 range. People complain about their cost, but tending to the tobacco in the curing barn ranges, I suppose, from months, and for years for fine cigars. While it ages it must cared for daily, managing the stacks, and rotating them from low to high, and back, depending on the temperature inside the barn. It's labor intensive.
I do think I've found a few better humidors on cigarbid, but they are out of my price range until July. I have been doing some research on seasoning though.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

saltedplug
Usher
Usher
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by saltedplug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

It's the cedar, that holds onto the moisture, that provides the primary humidity. The Boveda packets feed not only the cigars but the cedar.

I learned about seasoning from the elders on Cigar Asylum:

1. Remove everything from the humidor except the tray and a calibrated hygrometer.
2. Directions for calibration are widely available. Recalibrate several times until you're sure of the result. Hygrometers, though not cheap, are notoriously unreliable.
2. Wet a sponge and place it in a bowl, and place it and the calibrated hygrometer in the humidor.
3. Close the lid and leave it closed for two weeks. Do not open the lid for two weeks.
4. Open the lid and note the rH.
5. Remove the sponge, close the lid and wait for about an hour.
6. Reopen the lid and read the hygrometer.
7. You're looking for the rH to only fall within 5 points from the calibrated value

I haven't seasoned a humidor in a few years, and you might want to check my steps from the cigar elder of your choice. There's a ton of information on Cigar Asylum, some of it contradictory, especially the approach that advocates wiping down the interior of the humidor with water, and some advocating doing so with a PG solution. I read that it's possible to warp the wood or inadequately season using this technique.

Hope this helps.

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35704
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Del » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 am

So I ran to check the humidity in my cheap humidor... which was holding in the perfect range.

One thing led to another, and now I am on the porch enjoying an inexpensive handmade Nicaraguan.

YMMV

I agree that patiently seasoning a new humidor is vital to good performance.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Myrtle Point, OR
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by bilder » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Buy a cheap rubbermaid, sterilite, or tupperware container with an airtight seal, a couple Boveda humidity packs and you are good to go.

I have a container that holds about 300 cigars that i put together for less than 30 bucks. Keeps humidity spot on and does not require all the fuss of a wooden humidor. Container was 12 bucks and I have 18 bucks worth of boveda packs in it.

It is also a good idea to rest your cigars for a week or two (I do two weeks) after they arrive. Your cigars have been out of a climate controlled humidor for the trip and a variety of weather/climate/temperature/humidity changes in order to get to you. Let them rest and recover for best flavor.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35704
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Del » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 pm

bilder wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm
Buy a cheap rubbermaid, sterilite, or tupperware container with an airtight seal, a couple Boveda humidity packs and you are good to go.

I have a container that holds about 300 cigars that i put together for less than 30 bucks. Keeps humidity spot on and does not require all the fuss of a wooden humidor. Container was 12 bucks and I have 18 bucks worth of boveda packs in it.

It is also a good idea to rest your cigars for a week or two (I do two weeks) after they arrive. Your cigars have been out of a climate controlled humidor for the trip and a variety of weather/climate/temperature/humidity changes in order to get to you. Let them rest and recover for best flavor.
300 cigars? Hmmm....

Mac Maps tells me that it is 33 hours drive time from my home to the Ace Hardware Store in Myrtle Point.

How close are you to the hardware store?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Myrtle Point, OR
Contact:

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by bilder » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm

About a quarter mile. Other side of hwy 42 behind Fat Alberts Deli Mart.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

User avatar
Jester
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Ordering cigars online

Post by Jester » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 am

I received an email from Cigar International yesterday. They gave me a $10 coupon with activation code at checkout. You all may want to check your email.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Post Reply