Cigar Recommendations

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Cigar Recommendations

Post by plainview » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:41 am

Great discussion on the thread, gentlemen.

It's interesting, I used to guffaw and moan when I had to pay $14 or so dollars for a tin of Dunhill Navy Rolls. Can you imagine, $14? Now, after exploring cigars and the cigar world, I think that very same tin of Dunhill is a bargain.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm
I am going to recommend something odd... but it is a popular cigar in my family: The Toscanello, made in Italy.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/toscan ... s/1513307/

I am smoking one now.

These are the little cigars that Clint Eastwood smoked in his early spaghetti westerns. Hard little twigs of tobacco that are fun to smoke, taste great and don't need a humidor. They are already dry and hard, and keep forever at room conditions.

That is, if you don't mind looking like Clint Eastwood.

ImageImage
You trying to kill him? Don't get me wrong, I love them, but even we don't call them cigars.
They are fun smokes. But they are not Caribbean cigars. They definitely say, "I smoke what I want, and I don't care what you think about it."

Send me a PM, plainview. I will share a few sample cigars with you.

Our good friend bilder shared some cigars with me, got me interested enough to buy a humidor and stock it. I need to pay that forward.
PM on the way, thanks!

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:23 pm

The cigar recommendations from this thread:

Alec Bradley American Classic Robusto
Brick House Connecticut
Camacho Triple Maduro
Casa de Garcia Connecticut
Henry Clay Cigars
H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon
Jane Romeo y Julieta
JR Alternatives to the classics
Mark Twain Cigars
Montecristo Classic
Rocky Patel The Edge, Connecticut
Toscanello Cigars

Thanks.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm

You might also look for the PUNCH "Rare Corojo" This is a very flavorful smoke with cinnamon and cedar and leather. Not dark but not mild either.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm
You might also look for the PUNCH "Rare Corojo" This is a very flavorful smoke with cinnamon and cedar and leather. Not dark but not mild either.
Interesting. I used to buy the Punch Londres all the time. I shall give these a shot.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm

plainview wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Lately, I've been thinking about gently wading into the cigar waters. But I am just not sure where to start. I'd really like to sample a variety of cigars simply to get my footing. I am also up to making my own tupperdor. Would anyone care to offer up some cigar recommendations to a complete novice? Also, I'd like to read your successful tupperdor stories and build ideas.

Thank you.
To get a quick look at what your pallet likes try these:

Macanudo Portifino

Partagas torpedo, maduro,

Arturo Fuente Opus X.

If you can get Cubans, I highly recommend Romeo y Julieta and Punch.

This will give you a good starter flavor peek. As well as overdraw your checking account.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm
plainview wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Lately, I've been thinking about gently wading into the cigar waters. But I am just not sure where to start. I'd really like to sample a variety of cigars simply to get my footing. I am also up to making my own tupperdor. Would anyone care to offer up some cigar recommendations to a complete novice? Also, I'd like to read your successful tupperdor stories and build ideas.

Thank you.
To get a quick look at what your pallet likes try these:

Macanudo Portifino

Partagas torpedo, maduro,

Arturo Fuente Opus X.

If you can get Cubans, I highly recommend Romeo y Julieta and Punch.
Excellent, thanks for ideas.
DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 pm
This will give you a good starter flavor peek. As well as overdraw your checking account.
I've noticed! Danger zone. :lol:

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm
That cigar does sound nice. Thanks.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am

For your tupperdor, I would look into Boveda packs for humidity control. They are fairly cheap and contrary to what some tell you- they can be recharged once they dry out. Couple of those in an airtight container and you are set. I like the 69% humidity packs.

As to cigars, the above sticks are all good and you will enjoy trying them out. I would also consider Rosa Cuba if you are on a budget. You can get them for under a buck a stick and they are quite good. You can also score factory seconds from makers like Rocky Patel and Olivia from most of the online retailers. You do not have to spend 10 bucks to get a decent cigar. Many can be found in the 1-3 dollar range that are pretty good. Most cigar snobs will talk trash about cheap cigars, but you should smoke what you like, not what someone else says you should like.

I smoke more cigars than pipes these days. In fact I have not lit a pipe in nearly a year now that I think about it. I will do penance later.

Smokes I am currently enjoying are:

CAO Amazon Basin
Famous Smoke Shop Nic 3000's
CAO Brazilla
Rosa Cuba
Padilla Fumas
Brick House Fumas
Rocky Patel Cameroon
H. Upmann Cameroon

I buy 99% of my sticks online due to the crazy taxes and lack of a decent cigar store nearby. Holt's, Famous Smoke Shop, and Cigars International are my go to shops. Avoid Thompson Cigars at all costs!

If you are daring, you can visit cigarbid. Be careful though, many guys on there end up paying more than they should. Cigarbid is owned by Cigars International. I go over there and see what their prices are before I place a bid just to make sure I am not ripping myself off.

There are some deals for new smokers that offer a humidor, lighter, cutter and 5-10 cigars for a crazy price (like 20 bucks crazy). The cigars are usually decent, but the humidors are less than stellar. Think Cigars International calls it combo 451 or something like that.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 am

Lot of good advice there from Bilder. By the way, good to see you, Sir. Avoiding Thompson's might be the best advice you'll ever get about a business. Aggressive doesn't even begin to describe their sales strategy--prepare for phone calls out the wazoo. Although I'm a lawyer, I've never personally sued anyone. They're one of the few companies I've ever taken the time out of a day to write a formal nastygram to tell them to back off.

And hey, Bilder? How do you recharge a Boveda packet. This is intriguing.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:13 am

bilder wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am
For your tupperdor, I would look into Boveda packs for humidity control. They are fairly cheap and contrary to what some tell you- they can be recharged once they dry out. Couple of those in an airtight container and you are set. I like the 69% humidity packs.

As to cigars, the above sticks are all good and you will enjoy trying them out. I would also consider Rosa Cuba if you are on a budget. You can get them for under a buck a stick and they are quite good. You can also score factory seconds from makers like Rocky Patel and Olivia from most of the online retailers. You do not have to spend 10 bucks to get a decent cigar. Many can be found in the 1-3 dollar range that are pretty good. Most cigar snobs will talk trash about cheap cigars, but you should smoke what you like, not what someone else says you should like.

I smoke more cigars than pipes these days. In fact I have not lit a pipe in nearly a year now that I think about it. I will do penance later.

Smokes I am currently enjoying are:

CAO Amazon Basin
CAO Brazilla
Rosa Cuba
Padilla Fumas
Brick House Fumas
Rocky Patel Cameroon
H. Upmann Cameroon

I buy 99% of my sticks online due to the crazy taxes and lack of a decent cigar store nearby. Holt's, Famous Smoke Shop, and Cigars International are my go to shops. Avoid Thompson Cigars at all costs!

If you are daring, you can visit cigarbid. Be careful though, many guys on there end up paying more than they should. Cigarbid is owned by Cigars International. I go over there and see what their prices are before I place a bid just to make sure I am not ripping myself off.

There are some deals for new smokers that offer a humidor, lighter, cutter and 5-10 cigars for a crazy price (like 20 bucks crazy). The cigars are usually decent, but the humidors are less than stellar. Think Cigars International calls it combo 451 or something like that.
Great notes, thanks for the reply.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 am

Updated list of recommendations from this thread:

Alec Bradley American Classic Robusto
Arturo Fuente Opus X.
Brick House Connecticut
Brick House Fumas
Camacho Triple Maduro
CAO Amazon Basin
CAO Brazilla
Casa de Garcia Connecticut
H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon
Henry Clay Cigars
JR Alternatives to the classics
Mark Twain Cigars
Montecristo Classic
Macanudo Portifino
Padilla Fumas
Partagas torpedo, maduro
Punch Rare Corojo
Romeo y Julieta Cigars
Rocky Patel Cameroon, The Edge, Connecticut
Rosa Cuba
Toscanello Cigars

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:54 am

There was a time when toscanelli sigari could be purchased just about everywhere. There are enough of us in the states we made them here. Parodis, DiNobilis, and Avanti (anisette) cured, and rum soaked crooks coild be purchased at any gas station or grocery store. They're still pretty common and ruinously cheap.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm

The tupperdor is prepped and ready for some cigars.

Image: Sistema container lined with Spanish cedar cigar box inserts/dividers. A Boveda pack and a small hygrometer are located inside.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I second the Boveda packs. Try the 69 and 72 to see how moist you like your sticks. Personally I prefer the 72

Partagas makes wonderful cigars all thru the flavor and body range, try the Partagas Black for a full bodied smoke.

Diesel makes the worlds finest cigar called "The Unholy Cocktail" Both available from CI.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Here is a link to a nice starter sampler at Holt's:

http://www.holts.com/promo/10-cigar-sup ... all%20geos
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

bilder wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 pm
Here is a link to a nice starter sampler at Holt's:

http://www.holts.com/promo/10-cigar-sup ... all%20geos
That's a nice assortment - and at a buck fifty per cigar, a fine deal. Thanks for sharing the link.