Cigar Recommendations

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Cigar Recommendations

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Lately, I've been thinking about gently wading into the cigar waters. But I am just not sure where to start. I'd really like to sample a variety of cigars simply to get my footing. I am also up to making my own tupperdor. Would anyone care to offer up some cigar recommendations to a complete novice? Also, I'd like to read your successful tupperdor stories and build ideas.

Thank you.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Cigar Recommendations

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm

plainview wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 pm
Lately, I've been thinking about gently wading into the cigar waters. But I am just not sure where to start. I'd really like to sample a variety of cigars simply to get my footing. I am also up to making my own tupperdor. Would anyone care to offer up some cigar recommendations to a complete novice? Also, I'd like to read your successful tupperdor stories and build ideas.

Thank you.
I'm not an expert bit I can tell you what I do and hope it helps, Sir. For a tupperdore, well, you just get a Tupperware container big enough for some cigars and get a couple of sheets of that thin cedar they line the boxes with. Put one on the bottom and one in between the layers of cigars. Buy a boveda packet at 65-70 percent humidity and throw it in. Close the lid. Open it every week or so for five minutes to let it breathe. Don't put acid cigars in with the others. Actually, don't buy Acid cigars.

As to sampler packs, the best deal I've found is the five in a bag things sold by cigar stockists. They put good cigars in em and knock off a few bucks on the price. Sometimes you even get a boveda packet in the bag. Perdomo seems to do this a lot around here.

Don't be shy about trying Henry Clays or Upmann Vintage Cameroon or plane Jane Romeo y Julietas, either. They're not fashionable, but they're just plain good.

Also, listen to the Menacing Dennis and Uncle Bob. They forgot more than I'll ever know. If you find a great cheapo stick, let us know.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 pm
I'm not an expert bit I can tell you what I do and hope it helps, Sir. For a tupperdore, well, you just get a Tupperware container big enough for some cigars and get a couple of sheets of that thin cedar they line the boxes with. Put one on the bottom and one in between the layers of cigars. Buy a boveda packet at 65-70 percent humidity and throw it in. Close the lid. Open it every week or so for five minutes to let it breathe.
Thanks for the ideas / build instructions for the tupperdore.
hugodrax wrote:

Don't put acid cigars in with the others. Actually, don't buy Acid cigars.
Roger that.
hugodrax wrote:

As to sampler packs, the best deal I've found is the five in a bag things sold by cigar stockists. They put good cigars in em and knock off a few bucks on the price. Sometimes you even get a boveda packet in the bag. Perdomo seems to do this a lot around here.

Don't be shy about trying Henry Clays or Upmann Vintage Cameroon or plane Jane Romeo y Julietas, either. They're not fashionable, but they're just plain good.

Also, listen to the Menacing Dennis and Uncle Bob. They forgot more than I'll ever know. If you find a great cheapo stick, let us know.
Do you have a favorite online vendor for samplers?

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:45 pm

FWIW, I have always thought the JR Alternatives from jrcigar.com were really good for the price.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm sorry, I dont. I've never had real good luck. Either the price is right, and it's going for a really good deal and it seems to be terrible, or you only save a dollar or two. That's been my experience and I just stopped. I can tell you that I always preferred JR and Cigars International.

I'm blessed, though. According to Rocky Patel, Pittsburgh is second in cigar consumption to Miami. I don't know how much I believe that, but you can get them everywhere here. Speaking of which, try all the variations of Patel's The Edge. Real satisfying and the Connecticut runs about 5 bucks each here.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm
Speaking of which, try all the variations of Patel's The Edge. Real satisfying and the Connecticut runs about 5 bucks each here.
The Connecticut does sound very nice. It's described as:

A mild-to-medium bodied cigar features a Connecticut wrapper tones down the Edge blend. Smooth & creamy with a nutty core accompanied with a hint of sweetness.

The Edge Habano reads like a nice cigar, too.

Thanks for the ideas.

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Good advice here. Edge Connecticuts are very nice. I usually like Connecticut shade grown wrappers; tho' I tried a Camacho CT yesterday and thought it was overpriced crap. They do better w/ full bodied punch in the face cigars like their Triple X Maduro. Brick House has just added a CT line and they are good and fairly priced. My favorite bundle CT is Casa Garcia. For just starting out, CTs are mild to medium and very nice. Branch out later; save the bands, and make notes.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 pm
Good advice here. Edge Connecticuts are very nice. I usually like Connecticut shade grown wrappers; tho' I tried a Camacho CT yesterday and thought it was overpriced crap. They do better w/ full bodied punch in the face cigars like their Triple X Maduro. Brick House has just added a CT line and they are good and fairly priced. My favorite bundle CT is Casa Garcia. For just starting out, CTs are mild to medium and very nice. Branch out later; save the bands, and make notes.
Much obliged. Appreciate the ideas and feedback.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm

I've sampled about 39 cigars this year. So far. Montecristo Classic is the best, followed by Alec Bradley American Classic robusto. Mark Twain connecticuts are ok for everyday cigars.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Also, DAN is right.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm
I've sampled about 39 cigars this year. So far. Montecristo Classic is the best, followed by Alec Bradley American Classic robusto. Mark Twain connecticuts are ok for everyday cigars.
Thanks for notes. I could see myself picking up a Mark Twain or two.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am

plainview wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am
Fainn wrote:
PS: That is, the price seems right. I feel most comfortable exploring cigars - as a novice - at the everyday price level, at least for starters.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm

plainview wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am
plainview wrote:
Fainn wrote:
PS: That is, the price seems right. I feel most comfortable exploring cigars - as a novice - at the everyday price level, at least for starters.
That's my biggest problem with cigars, Sir, and why I'm a little jealous of Dennis working in a tobacconist. Even the most expensive pipe tobacco is cheap on a per bowl basis. Cigars, you're lighting, at best, a five dollar bill and in reality, a ten dollar bill. If you smoke a cuban, make it a twenty. There is a level of consumption that is conspicuous.

This country needs a good nickel cigar.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 pm

That's my biggest problem with cigars, Sir, and why I'm a little jealous of Dennis working in a tobacconist. Even the most expensive pipe tobacco is cheap on a per bowl basis. Cigars, you're lighting, at best, a five dollar bill and in reality, a ten dollar bill. If you smoke a cuban, make it a twenty. There is a level of consumption that is conspicuous.

I've seen two cigar smokers converted to pipes on that very basis. I keep a handful of cigars around in case something needs to be celebrated with conspicuous consumption, but in the main, I just don't find them worth it. I can fill the bowl of either one of my two biggest pipes and enjoy a nice smoke every bit the equal in duration, and probably in quality, of any reasonably-priced churchill. In practical terms, it is darn near free.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:20 pm

DAN wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 pm

I've seen two cigar smokers converted to pipes on that very basis. I keep a handful of cigars around in case something needs to be celebrated with conspicuous consumption, but in the main, I just don't find them worth it. I can fill the bowl of either one of my two biggest pipes and enjoy a nice smoke every bit the equal in duration, and probably in quality, of any reasonably-priced churchill. In practical terms, it is darn near free.
Sitting in Milan's everyday, I get the side by side comparison. As I smoke a bowl at the tobacco bar and chat in the afternoon, my friends burn through $7-15 in the same time period. In over 25 years of smoking a pipe, I doubt I have averaged that $$ per month in pipe tobacco.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:22 pm
plainview wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 am
plainview wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Yes! It's a great part-time job! I knew that when I started in 2001 and knew I'd have to tough it out for 16 yrs doing the switch from 3rd shift to first on Saturdays! Pay's not great, but the fringe benefits are fantastic! Trying new cigars and first dibs on damaged ones. That and the bulk tobacco sample jars!

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:20 pm

I should add that if I didn't work in a tobacco shop, I'd very seldom buy a cigar. The price difference between really good pipe tobacco and even a low end bundle cigar is just crazy. That, and I actually prefer the taste of pipe tobacco and the whole history and culture of pipe smoking.

Dennis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I am going to recommend something odd... but it is a popular cigar in my family: The Toscanello, made in Italy.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/toscan ... s/1513307/

I am smoking one now.

These are the little cigars that Clint Eastwood smoked in his early spaghetti westerns. Hard little twigs of tobacco that are fun to smoke, taste great and don't need a humidor. They are already dry and hard, and keep forever at room conditions.

That is, if you don't mind looking like Clint Eastwood.

ImageImage
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm
I am going to recommend something odd... but it is a popular cigar in my family: The Toscanello, made in Italy.

I am smoking one now.

These are the little cigars that Clint Eastwood smoked in his early spaghetti westerns. Hard little twigs of tobacco that are fun to smoke, taste great and don't need a humidor. They are already dry and hard, and keep forever at room conditions.

ImageImage
You trying to kill him? Don't get me wrong, I love them, but even we don't call them cigars.

They're good, plainview, but the won't make you any friends. Also, Toscanello is a brand name, and a good one. Toscani sigari covers the genre. Look for aged versions.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 pm
Del wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I am smoking one now.

ImageImage
You trying to kill him? Don't get me wrong, I love them, but even we don't call them cigars.
They are fun smokes. But they are not Caribbean cigars. They definitely say, "I smoke what I want, and I don't care what you think about it."

Send me a PM, plainview. I will share a few sample cigars with you.

Our good friend bilder shared some cigars with me, got me interested enough to buy a humidor and stock it. I need to pay that forward.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4