Your Last Cigar Purchase/smoked

Even cigar smokers are welcome here
SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 pm

I picked up a few hard to come by cigars over the Christmas break. I had one, a Hemingway (Arturo Fuente line) Work of Art maduro last night. Outstanding (of course, I'm a Hemingway superfan; both writing and the cigar series)! I also got a few Ashton VSG's (Virgin Sun Grown), which I plan on sharing with friends this week. For the price, I expect great things from them as well...
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:56 pm

The Hemingway Short Story is my favorite small cigar.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

Gregor
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Gregor » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:47 am

SandPiper wrote:I picked up a few hard to come by cigars over the Christmas break. I had one, a Hemingway (Arturo Fuente line) Work of Art maduro last night. Outstanding (of course, I'm a Hemingway superfan; both writing and the cigar series)! I also got a few Ashton VSG's (Virgin Sun Grown), which I plan on sharing with friends this week. For the price, I expect great things from them as well...
Love the Hemingway stuff. Have the Work of Art Maduro to try. I had a VSG and it was good, but not for the price IMHO. Fuente makes lots that are as good at much better prices (Chateau Maduro).

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 am

Yesterday a friend gave me a Padron 1926 robusto. My but that's a good smoke!

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:Yesterday a friend gave me a Padron 1926 robusto. My but that's a good smoke!
Must be a good friend as well! I love the '26s; they are just a little hard to come by. Having a Cusano 18 maduro at the moment...very good, and an outstanding value (around here, anyway).
-Kip, aka SandPiper

anixi
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by anixi » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Had a LGC Serie R the other day. It was milder than I thought it would be. It was a little spicy at the end, pretty tasty.

One thing that disturbed me was a bit of crud on the lighting end, it was gray and ugly so I cut it off. I hope I wasn't supposed to toss it!

lmk,

--Michael

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:51 pm

anixi wrote:One thing that disturbed me was a bit of crud on the lighting end, it was gray and ugly so I cut it off. I hope I wasn't supposed to toss it!

lmk,

--Michael
I'm pretty sure there's no crud that forms on cigars that can be harmful to you. It could have been some mold, which may not taste great and can ruin a humidor's worth of cigars, but isn't dangerous to consume that way.

Now if it didn't form on the cigar than it could be... well, whatever. Use your imagination (or, better yet, don't). I imagine some cyanide "crud" on a cigar wouldn't be too healthy. But, it seems you survived the experience and liked the cigar to boot, so I wouldn't sweat it.

I also like LGC cigars in general.

-Andrew

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:37 am

Just had two R&J #1 Tubos on saturday....one for me and one for my friend. Tasted good and smelled good. but wrapped way to tight. Barely could draw at all. I will never spend that much money on a cigar again. I thought Havanas were supposed to be top notch. Next time I will just stick with a good honduran or nicaraguan.
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 am

alchemyhunter wrote:I will never spend that much money on a cigar again. I thought Havanas were supposed to be top notch.
It can sometimes be hit or miss. I've had several habanos...the RyJs have been great. By the same token, I've had some Cohibas (not the dominican ones) that have been not-so-great. And, some "Los Statos de Luxe" that were absolute garbage. There are great cuban cigars, and trashy cuban cigars...just like any other country of origin. The label that I am most loyal to, and after hundreds of examples have never had a truly bad cigar, is a Dominican company - Arturo Fuente. I've pretty much covered their lines (even the Anejo...tasty), and like them all. They do produce some pricey cigars, but some that are not so. For the money, though, I wouldn't go for the Opus or Anejo. The Hemingway and Don Carlos lines are my favorite. They have the same filler and binder as the opus, but a different wrapper. And, they're considerably cheaper as well. I highly recommend both their Hemingway and Don Carlos lines, in pretty much any size/shape. I also like (lower on the pricing scale) that 8-5-8 maduros.

I guess what I'm saying is you can't just rely on price...I've paid a lot for trashy cigars, and gotten some good ones cheap (Cusanos were cheap until recently). The opposite is also true...I've paid a lot of money for cigars that I thought were outstanding, and still a good value.
-Kip, aka SandPiper

adauria

Post by adauria » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:37 am

I enjoy a good or great Habano from time to time. I can't spend that kind of money, though, except on the rare occassion I'm in a foreign country on vacation or business travel, etc.

I've heard quite a bit of grumbling about a steady decline in construction quality of Cuban cigars. Excessively tight draw is a very common complaint. It's a shame. Some of this can be blamed on excess demand and limited supply, some of it on that horrendous oppressive government. In any case, it's a real shame.

Hopefully the political scene will change there sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can get those cigars here in the US market. Why is that good, given that I think the increased demand for them will further hurt their quality? Because it will bring down the price (and possibly raise the quality) of good smokes from Nic, Hon, and DR. Sort of an opposite effect from the cigar boom of the mid-90's.

Still, a good Habano RyJ... spectacular!

-Andrew

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 am

It can sometimes be hit or miss. I've had several habanos...the RyJs have been great. By the same token, I've had some Cohibas (not the dominican ones) that have been not-so-great. And, some "Los Statos de Luxe" that were absolute garbage. There are great cuban cigars, and trashy cuban cigars...just like any other country of origin. The label that I am most loyal to, and after hundreds of examples have never had a truly bad cigar, is a Dominican company - Arturo Fuente. I've pretty much covered their lines (even the Anejo...tasty), and like them all. They do produce some pricey cigars, but some that are not so. For the money, though, I wouldn't go for the Opus or Anejo. The Hemingway and Don Carlos lines are my favorite. They have the same filler and binder as the opus, but a different wrapper. And, they're considerably cheaper as well. I highly recommend both their Hemingway and Don Carlos lines, in pretty much any size/shape. I also like (lower on the pricing scale) that 8-5-8 maduros.

I guess what I'm saying is you can't just rely on price...I've paid a lot for trashy cigars, and gotten some good ones cheap (Cusanos were cheap until recently). The opposite is also true...I've paid a lot of money for cigars that I thought were outstanding, and still a good value.
It is funny you say that...I have a box of cusano 18 robusto and a couple of their churchills in my humidor, and the other side has a couple of Hemingway short stories and an Opus X. My next purchase is most likely going to be some of those Punch Oscuros. Did you say that you like the 8-5-8 by Fuente?
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:15 am

A customer gave me a Padron 4000 maduro yesterday which I smoked after lunch. A nice standby cigar.

Dennis

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Today at the shop I smoked a Gurkha perfecto. A wonderful old fashioned shape. I'd say a medium bodied cigar, nice flavor, well made.

Dennis

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:14 pm

Punch Rare Corojo...very, very tasty. To date, I have not smoked a Punch I didn't like, but I stay almost exclusively with the darks.
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. - Calvin

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:23 pm

Ah, the Rare Corojos! My favorite of the Punch brand.

Dennis

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Mine too, Dennis! I noticed anixi likes the La Gloria Series R. Great cigars, but I love the Series L (Maduro) which tastes a bit like the rare corojo.
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. - Calvin

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:36 pm

Mine too, Dennis! I noticed anixi likes the La Gloria Series R. Great cigars, but I love the Series L (Maduro) which tastes (to me) a bit like the rare corojo.

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 pm

lousy connection!!!

adauria

Post by adauria » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:07 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:Today at the shop I smoked a Gurkha perfecto. A wonderful old fashioned shape...
Perfectos are fun, aren't they? They make me feel like I'm in an old cartoon or something.

-Andrew

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:31 pm

You're right Andrew, perfectos are fun!

Yesterday smoked a La Unica #400 natural. My favorite bundled cigar. Love those Connecticut wrappers!

Dennis