Sir Walter Raleigh

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
nuance910
Elder
Elder
Location: Sittin' on the bank of Ol' Man River in Western Forgottonia.

Post by nuance910 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

I generally keep a pouch of SWR lying around, and enjoy the occasional bowl. Just had one yesterday in fact. It's a good, economical smoke. But I like PA a bit better.
Sometimes I don't finish things that I sta

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm

First, I didn't realize that JRuegg had been around these parts since '09.

But anyway, w/regard to SWR, several of the "old" guys where I worked just out of college smoked it, and so did an uncle, and so did the owner/operator of the old Gulf gas station in the small town where I grew up ... funny how I remember who smoked what in their pipes so many years ago. But I remember enjoying the room note. I can't believe I've never tried it; I need to remedy this. Maybe this weekend in the duck blind will be a good time to try it ... see how it goes with strong coffee and gun powder.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Not a codger Burley per se, but a Burley none the less--
Peter Stokebbeye Cube Cut

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: Sir Walter Raleigh

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 am

Sir Walter Raleigh
This was a new pouch purchased from P&C. This is a burley with what is described as a course cut. It seems to be s mix of cubes and small ribbons. It is fairly dry. According to tobaccoreviews.com it is flavored with sugar and anisette. It is produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group. I admit after trying Prince Albert, and not liking that, I was a bit skeptical about trying this one. JimVH talked me into giving it a chance. I am glad he did. This is a simple blend that burns well and requires almost no maintenance. I have mainly been smoking it while driving a forklift, loading trucks, and giving direction to a group of volunteers over the last few days.

It will not bite, no matter how hard I puff. However, it does give a slight sour taste if it gets over-worked. This goes away after a minute if I let it rest briefly. A slower puff produces a slight sweet taste that is not over powering and is, in fact, quite enjoyable. It does well in all my pipes, but is best enjoyed in my cob. I can see this providing a nice bit of variety in my rotation and wouldn’t complain if this was all I had to smoke for a while. SWR is a simple, honest tobacco that I would recommend others to try.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 am

It's been forever since I've had any SWR. But what stood out in your review was:
mont974x4 wrote:It is produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.
STG (alone) normally means made in Denmark. It's still Lane making it, which means it's still made in the US. But Lane is an STG company. Is there a Lane in that description? These Danes are irritating. I wish they'd stop making anonymous STG claims.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 am

Rusty wrote:It's been forever since I've had any SWR. But what stood out in your review was:
STG (alone) normally means made in Denmark. It's still Lane making it, which means it's still made in the US. But Lane is an STG company. Is there a Lane in that description? These Danes are irritating. I wish they'd stop making anonymous STG claims.
Lane is mentioned on the pouch.

Under a small pic of Sir Walter Raleigh it says:
Made in USA
Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane LTD
Tucker, GA 30084

I'm guessing this is the date/time stamp:
1Y0181 14:45

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:36 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Rusty wrote:It's been forever since I've had any SWR. But what stood out in your review was:

Made in USA
Tucker, GA 30084

Ah well that's better than I hoped for. They didn't do anything so nice for Orlik. So you'll know to distinguish Lane from STG Denmark, maybe as STG Lane? Or you could just say Lane. :D
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 am

Rusty wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Made in USA
Tucker, GA 30084

Ah well that's better than I hoped for. They didn't do anything so nice for Orlik. So you'll know to distinguish Lane from STG Denmark, maybe as STG Lane? Or you could just say Lane. :D
Or we could just buy it and smoke it.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:59 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Made in USA
Tucker, GA 30084

True but it doesn't share anything on a forum. Buying & smoking it turns out to be a private experience. When we talk about them, and btw kudos to you for mentioning the manufacturer, we're going beyond experience. Talking about the experience alone doesn't go very far. But talking about their context, history, culture etc is huge. Lots of room for interesting discussion.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Rusty wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:

Made in USA
Tucker, GA 30084

True but it doesn't share anything on a forum. Buying & smoking it turns out to be a private experience. When we talk about them, and btw kudos to you for mentioning the manufacturer, we're going beyond experience. Talking about the experience alone doesn't go very far. But talking about their context, history, culture etc is huge. Lots of room for interesting discussion.

Honestly, I mentioned it for you. I know you like those tidbits of data. I suspect they add greatly to the experience.

FireDragon
Congregation
Congregation

Re:

Post by FireDragon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:50 am

I just recently opened up a one year old pouch of this stuff, I got it at a cigar shop in a nearby town (Casselberry), Old Time Cigars. Very expensive compared to what we used to pay for pipe tobacco (3 bucks vs. 8.50). I have to say as far as aromatics go its very good stuff, my understanding is that its been handed over to a new company compared to the older stuff. It reminds me of a danish aromatic.

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 am

This thread reminded me that I ought to pick up some of this. I don't remember the flavor specifically, but I do remember liking it.

My paternal grandfather (before he quit the pipe). Smoked SWR out of a black, bent smallish pipe. I would assume that this was a Dr. Grabow, at least the one I remember. I say this because they were both inexpensive and available locally. I can remember that he had a tub of SWR, his pipe, and an ashtray sitting beside his chair. I also remember his smoke smelling better than my parent's cigarettes. Years later, while smoking SWR in my dad's garage (circa 2010) my dad said that the smell reminded him of his dad. He also told me that my grandfather would sometimes purchase Carter Hall as a change of pace, but that he usually smoked SWR.

I'd like to get a black bent Dr. Grabow as well. I sometimes wish that life could have been different and my grandfather was mentally of good health as I entered my 20's. He wasn't the greatest with kids (even though he had 4) but I think I would have liked him better when I was older. At the end of his life, he was certainly a man from a different time, and he would be someone that I would love to get started on stories from times past and just let him talk.

spiritfilled
I dun got CobZone'd!
I dun got CobZone'd!

Post by spiritfilled » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:01 pm

This was my FIRST pipe tobacco I ever bought, to smoke in my FIRST estate pipe. No tamper, no tecnique, no experience. I think I used about 15 matches since I couldn't keep it lit. And I got a pretty good tobacco buzz. Not my brightest decision. Now that I've accomplished all of the above, I'm going to go out & buy some more & try it again. I let it sit too long & it all dried out & I threw it away. WHAT A NOOB. :facepalm:
"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain." Phil 1:21

"Hamboning will save your LIFE one day!!" - Rigby

"Shut your mouth, you mediocre clarinet player."- Plankton

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:45 pm

venator260 wrote: I'd like to get a black bent Dr. Grabow as well... At the end of his life, he was certainly a man from a different time, and he would be someone that I would love to get started on stories from times past and just let him talk.
I have several pipes that I bought over the years just because they remind me of my grandpa. Most of them see PA or SWR smoked in them for the same reason. Nothing would make me happier as a grown man than to share a smoke with him and hear what he has to say.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:55 pm

If the pipe was a Grabow and had a black finish, it was probably an Eldorado, Commodore or Sculptura. These would have rustic finish. These come up on ebay pretty often so you can certainly get one if you want.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

sweetandsour

Re:

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm

But anyway, w/regard to SWR, several of the "old" guys where I worked just out of college smoked it, and so did an uncle, and so did the owner/operator of the old Gulf gas station in the small town where I grew up ... funny how I remember who smoked what in their pipes so many years ago. But I remember enjoying the room note. I can't believe I've never tried it; I need to remedy this. Maybe this weekend in the duck blind will be a good time to try it ... see how it goes with strong coffee and gun powder.
I got sidetracked. But I plan to buy a pouch tmrw, and it will be my afternoon smoke.

sweetandsour

Re: Re:

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:29 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:33 pm

I got sidetracked. But I plan to buy a pouch tmrw, and it will be my afternoon smoke.
Regular, that is. Not the arom. BTW, my take from this thread is that the current SWR (regular) should be close or the same taste as the SWR ca. '70s, '80s.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

It was the pouch of SWR that JimVH had sent me that prevented another failed pipe smoking quest in early 2016. After nearly two 14 ounce tubs of Captain Black, my palate was fried & I no longer tasted it. A bowl of SWR helped me re-discover flavor.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am

My uncle Bill smoked cigars mostly, but when he got home from work for lunch or for the day he would fill one of his two pipes and sit at the kitchen table and smoke with coffee if at lunch or a Bud if after work. He would smoke one of three tobaccos, Prince Albert, Borkum Riff Bourbon or Sir Walter Raleigh. When I was over visiting my cousin, I always liked it when he smoked SWR as I liked the red and black foil pouch and the smell of the smoke.

I smoke SWR when I am in the hills/mountains. It is my early morning with some coffee in the high country smoke. Great to sit and enjoy the view with a pipe.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am
My uncle Bill smoked cigars mostly, but when he got home from work for lunch or for the day he would fill one of his two pipes and sit at the kitchen table and smoke with coffee if at lunch or a Bud if after work. He would smoke one of three tobaccos, Prince Albert, Borkum Riff Bourbon or Sir Walter Raleigh. When I was over visiting my cousin, I always liked it when he smoked SWR as I liked the red and black foil pouch and the smell of the smoke.

I smoke SWR when I am in the hills/mountains. It is my early morning with some coffee in the high country smoke. Great to sit and enjoy the view with a pipe.
Yes, indeed, Blood. Well said.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis