McClelland’s Bulk No. 5115 Old World Classic Cake

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 am

Manufactures description: A matured cake blend of the finest lemon and orange red Virginias, enhanced with natural fruit essences. It is lightly sweet, satisfying, smooth but with a little zest.

As I continue my walk through Virginia this blend was suggested to me by CPS’ own, Rusty.

The blend presents as basic broken flake of darkish browns with lighter highlighted flecks throughout. It has a milder form of the classic McClelland’s VA tin aroma. I have played with the rub and I enjoy leaving this one just a little bit chunky. I also enjoy this in a more densely packed pipe.

I have read reviews where people talk about the complexity of pipe tobaccos and use all sorts of wine or food or spirited analogies trying to describe their heavenly pipe smoking experience. I always laugh at these reviews because I have found them to be most pretentious. I have always thought that when I have a pipe I’d like to have a smoke and not have 12 midgets pile out of a circus car and start tumbling, juggling bowling pins, and breathing fire in my general direction just so I will say, “Wow, how complex.”

But this is a complex tobacco. An exceptional flavored blend that is easy to smoke and tastes great. I have experienced a little bit of heat on the initial charring match. But I let it sit for maybe a minute and then puff slowly and it is smooth and dry as can be. The flavor does change and enhances as the bowl progresses. The last third of the bowl is the most flavorful and I do get several puffs of dried fruitiness mixed in, which I like a lot.

So conjure up your favorite complex smoke fantasy and insert it, now go get some 5115 and try it. I highly recommend this blend.

I rate this as 4 out of 5 stars just because I rarely hand out 5 stars unless I’ve tried a blend over several years. So in a few years I might upgrade this to the full Monty, we’ll have to wait and see.
Last edited by DepartedLight on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: McClelland’s Bulk No.5115 Old World Classic Cake

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 am

DepartedLight wrote:I have always thought that when I have a pipe I’d like to have a smoke and not have 12 midgets pile out of a circus car and start tumbling, juggling bowling pins, and breathing fire in my general direction so I say, “Wow how complex.”
:lol: Best line in a tobacco review, ever. :lol:
Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sola Deo Gloria

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:34 am

DepartedLight wrote:McClelland’s Bulk No.5115 Old World Classic Cake

Manufactures description: A matured cake blend of the finest lemon and orange red Virginias, enhanced with natural fruit essences. It is lightly sweet, satisfying, smooth but with a little zest.
I like this one.

Highly recommended for anyone who loves the sweet-n-sour flavor of bright virginias.

Bright virginias will bite, so smoke slowly. They taste better that way, anyhow.

I prefer the zestiness of fresh bright virginias. They mellow with aging, but I prefer zing to mellow. I buy this one in small batches and smoke it first.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 am

Gabriel wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:I have always thought that when I have a pipe I’d like to have a smoke and not have 12 midgets pile out of a circus car and start tumbling, juggling bowling pins, and breathing fire in my general direction so I say, “Wow how complex.”
:lol: Best line a tobacco review ever. :lol:
Both these quotes are horribly constructed. I get the drift, but the grammar needs work. I'm not going to dock any points, but I will need you to resubmit your assignments by next class. As you rewrite please refer to the chapter on punctuation in your texts.

Mr. Kirk.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

MrKirk
Congregation
Congregation

Post by MrKirk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 am

DepartedLight wrote: I always laugh at these reviews because I have found them to be most pretensions.
Did you mean 'most pretentious'? Please proof-read your work before submitting.

Thank you,

Mr. Kirk

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 am

MrKirk wrote:
DepartedLight wrote: I always laugh at these reviews because I have found them to be most pretensions.
Did you mean 'most pretentious'? Please proof-read your work before submitting.

Thank you,

Mr. Kirk
Uh oh, the grammar nazi has arrived... QUICK! Hide your prepositions in the attic while there's still time!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 am

Kirk1701 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
:lol: Best line in a tobacco review, ever. :lol:
Both these quotes are horribly constructed. I get the drift, but the grammar needs work. I'm not going to dock any points, but I will need you to resubmit your assignments by next class. As you rewrite please refer to the chapter on punctuation in your texts.

Mr. Kirk.
:oops:
Sola Deo Gloria

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:01 am

edited the OP
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: McClelland’s Bulk No. 5115 Old World Classic Cake

Post by Rusty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 pm

DepartedLight wrote:McClelland’s Bulk No. 5115 Old World Classic Cake

So conjure up your favorite complex smoke fantasy and insert it, now go get some 5115 and try it. I highly recommend this blend.

I rate this as 4 out of 5 stars just because I rarely hand out 5 stars unless I’ve tried a blend over several years. So in a few years I might upgrade this to the full Monty, we’ll have to wait and see.
Another very nice review.
I suggest that people buy and jar different batches of this one over time. Whatever size works for you. The batches vary a little but not enough to become a different blend. It's more like variations on a theme or different vintages of the same wine. And they are really interesting. Some are more complex, some are more fruity, some have a sort of salty edge to them. This is one of the most worthwhile blends to cellar.

Oh and do the same thing with #2010. #5115 & #2010 are different enough that you'll really enjoy the change-up going from one to the other.

#5115 is a poorly understood sleeper, #2010 is more appreciated. Both are as good as any tinned Virginia, esp with a little age. As little as a year makes quite a difference.

TwentyNine
Congregation
Congregation

Post by TwentyNine » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 am

Thinking about getting an ounce or two of No. 5115. I really like Old Gowrie and OGS. How will 5115 compare to these two?

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:09 am

I hope you plan to post this in TR. Some of the reviewers in there need a reality check. Goes to show you can do good review without BS'ing people into believing you tasted a hint of peat moss, anise, lavender in the background while tasting anchovies, raisins, black currants, muscadines and kumquats just over the top of the frankincense and patchouli.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:37 am

TwentyNine wrote:Thinking about getting an ounce or two of No. 5115. I really like Old Gowrie and OGS. How will 5115 compare to these two?
Initially the McClelland style (ie a vinegary nose) may obscure anything else. This is the ketchup that you referred to before. There is a quite a difference in style between McClelland and Euro Virginias. It does represent a bit of a challenge to those new to it and new smokers. If you already enjoy some of their tinned Virginias than none of this applies and you won't be surprised at all by #5115. McClelland Virgnias are much more natural and redolent of a fermented matured Virginia with that acetic acid nose that many think is ketchup. More like Salsa with sweet and sour flavours than a smooth sweet toffee, hay, or fresh bread experience typical of Euro Virginias.

We've mostly lost the Scottish style Virginias except in America. McClelland, C&D, and GLP esp have preserved it much better than the Euro manufacturers who now own the brands. For example if you want to experience something that is more like the Hal o The Wynd that used to be then try GLP's Fillmore or GLP's Laurel Heights. They're not identical but much closer than the current Hal o The Wynd. I was amazed at how good the three red VA blends in the Fog City series really are. They don't have an acetic acid 'nose' either.

The Euro's tend to artificially sweeten & subdue the bright lively Virginias much more than McClelland does. It's very rare to find any hint of fermenting Virginia with them. Old Gowrie in the past, when Rattray & CE McConnell made it, was more like McCl bulk #2010 in that it was mostly a golden Virginia which had a lot of flavour but could bite like a mad weasel because it was lively naturally sweet stuff. No topping discernible at all. It had not been subdued by Euro processing. The Scottish blenders tended to use the lively American Virginias without sauce much more so than the Brits did. So it's perhaps expected that more natural American Virginia is closer to the old ones made in Perth and Glasgow. If one let them age they did develop an acetic acid fermented flavour as well. Marlin flake did this with very little age. The name 'Old World Classic Cake' is suggesting that this is a fine old Scottish Virginia cake. And it is. When Kohlhase Kopp got the Rattray brand back in '89-'90 they really changed them to a sweet Euro style that isn't what they were at all. I think there has been an evolution in their style, and there is a sort of compromise that everybody accepts today. They're enjoyable but they're not like they were originally. But Kohlhase Kopp also introduced German light aro's into the Rattray line that have no history before their acquisition. So that may have made the compromise more successful.

The current Old Gowrie is much closer to the current Hal o The Wynd so it's darker (brown) & much more subdued than the original. But it's sweet and much smoother & many like that. OGS is sweet stuff that is typically Danish. It has a place and it is one of the good ones. Fresh #5115 is much more tangy and has obvious sweet orange red Middle belt leaf. It's a ride when it's new. :lol:

Also the McCl bulk blends are not held to age as a blend at all, unlike their tinned blends. So if you're buying fresh bulk it will be really lively and maybe even a little one-dimensional. Like plugging your mouth into an electrical plug. If you like lively tangy stuff this is good. It's amazing how many think the absence of tang ie sweet smoothness is a real virtue. So the reviews on TR for #5115 are different than this thread. Many on TR apparently have trouble distinguishing #5115 from #2010 and they're quite different. With a few to 6 months in a jar #5115 is much more rounded. With more time this stuff is treasure. It ages to a fruitiness often that is very natural and very good. It's a sleeper that goes unheralded by many that have been seduced by the sweet Euro stuff. But do try it new and then try it after a few months of age. We'll win you over. :lol:
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 pm
DepartedLight wrote:McClelland’s Bulk No. 5115 Old World Classic Cake

Another very nice review.
I suggest that people buy and jar different batches of this one over time. Whatever size works for you. The batches vary a little but not enough to become a different blend. It's more like variations on a theme or different vintages of the same wine. And they are really interesting. Some are more complex, some are more fruity, some have a sort of salty edge to them. This is one of the most worthwhile blends to cellar.

Oh and do the same thing with #2010. #5115 & #2010 are different enough that you'll really enjoy the change-up going from one to the other.

#5115 is a poorly understood sleeper, #2010 is more appreciated. Both are as good as any tinned Virginia, esp with a little age. As little as a year makes quite a difference.
Not having smoked it lately, I just had a bowl of this w/ morning coffee, and it is good. And right down to the bottom of the bowl. Well, that is, down to the Sharrow Philtpad chalk insert. :D

I am glad I took Rusty's advise many months ago, and have gotten a couple good sized bags to jar up. They are in my hall closet ready to sing again.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:01 pm

I included some 5115 in an order just last week. Looking forward to trying it again.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 pm

I really like this one but it has a tendency to bite me.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 pm
I think that's one of its characteristics that it shares with Old World Virginias. And it definitely is similar. Of course Old World Virginias is referring to Scottish Virginias eg things like Rattray Old Gowerie. But the Scots tended to use American Virginias vs. the Brits who used Empire Virginias from other places. So really they're New World Virginias. They tend to be naturally sweeter than the African and Indian leaf that the Brits tended to use. So yes, they can bite. These are American Virginias and the Cake preparation is typical of the Scots. The real Old Gowrie used to bite me like a mad weasel. I doubt that it would anymore. Its colour was much more gold, but a mixture of caked Virginias, so I think it had a significant amount of bright gold New Belt from Eastern NC. That's the sweetest biter that there is. You'll never find it used for Xmas Cheer. Instead McClelland uses it to heat press to sweet dark flakes. The sugar rich gold caramelizes to a very dark flake. This is what Dark Star & #2035 is.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:35 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:27 pm
Jocose wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 pm
I think that's one of its characteristics that it shares with Old World Virginias. And it definitely is similar. Of course Old World Virginias is referring to Scottish Virginias eg things like Rattray Old Gowerie. But the Scots tended to use American Virginias vs. the Brits who used Empire Virginias from other places. So really they're New World Virginias. They tend to be naturally sweeter than the African and Indian leaf that the Brits tended to use. So yes, they can bite. These are American Virginias and the Cake preparation is typical of the Scots. The real Old Gowrie used to bite me like a mad weasel. I doubt that it would anymore.
Interesting, I never knew what they were referencing in the name but I knew I liked it from first light.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Goose sent me some of this and I found it much as herein described. I look forward to trying it and its recommended brethren soon.

Now for the rest of the story:

I was recently smoking through some aged McClelland 25. As I packed my pipe bag for the day last week, I had a bowl or three left of 5115 left and had about 1/2 a bowl of 25 remaining. So, into the same ziplock bag they went.
That made for a very satisfying, slightly sweeter, three bowls.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm
Goose sent me some of this and I found it much as herein described. I look forward to trying it and its recommended brethren soon.

I was recently smoking through some aged McClelland 25. As I packed my pipe bag for the day last week, I had a bowl or three left of 5115 left and had about 1/2 a bowl of 25 remaining. So, into the same ziplock bag they went.
#25 is a red and black Virginia so it tends to prune and raisin if I remember, it's been a while. 5115 is fruity too because of its mixture (I think it's the red Va that is doing it) but it's not down in the raisin flavour spectrum. Goose mixes #5115 with #2010 and I think one loses the attributes of both that make them interesting as Virginia mixtures on their own. The 2010 has very similar tobacco constituents as PS LTF. So both tend to have harmonic flavours that suggest things like caramel and butterscotch. That's the mixture that comprises them doing that. The Danes push it even harder by topping LTF so that it screams these flavours. But you may notice that the mixture itself is producing an interesting underlying flavour. There is/was another one in this game that was also very similar to 2010 & LTF in constituent tobaccos and that was Buffleheads Wood Duck. BTW this was also the flavour space of the original Old Gowrie (but not the current one). All of them are really good Virginias because of the natural mixture. I think it's worth getting to know them individually rather than give in to docile & sweet without the characteristic flavours that make them interesting themselves. I've even seen folks (not here) suggest that #5115 & #2010 are similar. They're quite different in flavour because of their different mixtures. They are subtle so you have to spend the time with them so that you can enjoy their interesting flavours. If you're normally enjoying a large variety, bowl-to-bowl, then the flavour are too subtle to find. And if you often smoke much larger flavour mixtures, eg just about any English, then the subtle flavours are much harder to find. DL posted recently about #24 Virginia, and that has some Oriental in it. But you wouldn't notice it if you interleaved smoking that much 'louder' (flavour) Latakia blends or even some aromatics.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm

#25 is a red and black Virginia so it tends to prune and raisin if I remember, it's been a while. 5115 is fruity too because of its mixture (I think it's the red Va that is doing it) but it's not down in the raisin flavour spectrum. Goose mixes #5115 with #2010 and I think one loses the attributes of both that make them interesting as Virginia mixtures on their own. The 2010 has very similar tobacco constituents as PS LTF. So both tend to have harmonic flavours that suggest things like caramel and butterscotch. That's the mixture that comprises them doing that. The Danes push it even harder by topping LTF so that it screams these flavours. But you may notice that the mixture itself is producing an interesting underlying flavour. There is/was another one in this game that was also very similar to 2010 & LTF in constituent tobaccos and that was Buffleheads Wood Duck. BTW this was also the flavour space of the original Old Gowrie (but not the current one). All of them are really good Virginias because of the natural mixture. I think it's worth getting to know them individually rather than give in to docile & sweet without the characteristic flavours that make them interesting themselves. I've even seen folks (not here) suggest that #5115 & #2010 are similar. They're quite different in flavour because of their different mixtures. They are subtle so you have to spend the time with them so that you can enjoy their interesting flavours. If you're normally enjoying a large variety, bowl-to-bowl, then the flavour are too subtle to find. And if you often smoke much larger flavour mixtures, eg just about any English, then the subtle flavours are much harder to find. DL posted recently about #24 Virginia, and that has some Oriental in it. But you wouldn't notice it if you interleaved smoking that much 'louder' (flavour) Latakia blends or even some aromatics.
I had mixed #5115 with #2010, but no more, because you deterred me from being led astray by myself. And for that I am grateful! Now, if I mix anything with 5115, it is McCl's 5100, as both are red virginias
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis