H&H Fusilier's Ration

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

H&H Fusilier's Ration

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:55 am

A nice deep english flake with some kind of slight lakeland topping. It seems to prefer a narrower shallow bowl. It's supposed to be similar to bengal slices. Anybody else tried it that would care to comment.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I just searched for Fusilier's Ration on here and got this.

Saw a self promoting write up in pipes & cigars and wondered if y'all had tried it.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: H&H Fusilier's Ration

Post by Gabriel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:14 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:A nice deep english flake with some kind of slight lakeland topping. It seems to prefer a narrower shallow bowl. It's supposed to be similar to bengal slices. Anybody else tried it that would care to comment.
Whoa! really? hm.... similar in what way? Saw an ad for this in the latest pipesandcigars.com catalog and wondered about it.
Sola Deo Gloria

SimeonTurner
I've got wood!
I've got wood!

Post by SimeonTurner » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:34 am

I did it a disservice in Vegas. Russ was giving it away at the show, and I tried it but wasn't too excited about it. The problem for me, however, is that the night before a collector shared a tin of 25 year old Bengal Slices with me, so my palette was a bit skewed. Haha!

jj1015
Pastor
Pastor

Post by jj1015 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Gabriel wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:A nice deep english flake with some kind of slight lakeland topping. It seems to prefer a narrower shallow bowl. It's supposed to be similar to bengal slices. Anybody else tried it that would care to comment.
Whoa! really? hm.... similar in what way? Saw an ad for this in the latest pipesandcigars.com catalog and wondered about it.
It's Russ Oulette's attempt to replicate the original Bengal Slices, in much the same way that Black House was his attempt to replicate the old Balkan Sobranie.

I never had the chance to smoke the original Bengal Slices, but my first couple of bowls of Fusilier's Ration have been very, very nice. It's a medium-strength, oriental-forward English flake with a light floral topping. The latakia isn't the center of attention here. I was quite impressed with the blend's complexity. The blend's presentation is very close to that of Classic Burley Kake.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:27 pm

jj1015 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
It's Russ Oulette's attempt to replicate the original Bengal Slices, in much the same way that Black House was his attempt to replicate the old Balkan Sobranie.

I never had the chance to smoke the original Bengal Slices, but my first couple of bowls of Fusilier's Ration have been very, very nice. It's a medium-strength, oriental-forward English flake with a light floral topping. The latakia isn't the center of attention here. I was quite impressed with the blend's complexity. The blend's presentation is very close to that of Classic Burley Kake.
This is a good description along the same lines with my experiences
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:27 pm
jj1015 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

This is a good description along the same lines with my experiences
I really enjoy it as well, but don't get any hint of a floral topping at all. It's very similar to a McClellan blend that I just can't seem to put my finger on, and my guess is that it's actually blended for P&C by McC.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Does P&C outsource? I was under the impression that they did their own thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:52 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm not looking at the label at the moment, but it says "blended for P&C", etc. In fact the actual blender may be listed on the label, but it sure tastes like a McC blend to me. Good Lat, tanginess, no bite (to me). It's a great smoke, and by the way thanks for sending it to me. :)
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm

My dog loved it. Ate the whole sample bag.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 am

Nice blend, but exceptionally dry out of the tin.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:05 am

plainview wrote:Nice blend, but exceptionally dry out of the tin.
Just needs a little dog slobber...

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:08 am

hugodrax wrote:My dog loved it. Ate the whole sample bag.
You’ve heard of that coffee Kopi Lukak? Maybe you’ve stumbled on something...

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
hugodrax wrote:My dog loved it. Ate the whole sample bag.
You’ve heard of that coffee Kopi Lukak? Maybe you’ve stumbled on something...

Merde de Fusilier: a tantalizing blend fermented in a dog’s belly discovered by our very own.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm not looking at the label at the moment, but it says "blended for P&C", etc. In fact the actual blender may be listed on the label, but it sure tastes like a McC blend to me. Good Lat, tanginess, no bite (to me). It's a great smoke, and by the way thanks for sending it to me. :)
No problemo, I won a whole bunch of it in a silent auction a few years ago, I’ve smoked a couple tins of it, I’ll probably smoke a couple more, but it’s handy for box passes and such!

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:31 pm

I was introduced to this blend by FredS last year at Christmas...Since then I have gone through 4 tins and have cellared a bunch more. I really like it. I was thinking the topping had an anise flavor to it. what ever it is I like it

PS I snagged the tin out of the Summer box pass. It is in a different form than what is being sold now. It is a broken flake/cake/nugget...what I am getting from P&C is 3 flat cakes that are very hard and dry.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Al_S_
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Al_S_ » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm

I need to add this to my list of stuff to try. How does it compare to the new Bengal Slices (Russ' newer attempt at the old BS)? I've really enjoyed that, but it is becoming hard to find in its own right.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am

Al_S_ wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm
I need to add this to my list of stuff to try. How does it compare to the new Bengal Slices (Russ' newer attempt at the old BS)? I've really enjoyed that, but it is becoming hard to find in its own right.
I haven't tried the new Bengal Slices...to compare...the local shop is getting $15.95 for the tin. Fusilier's Ration was $7.50 a tin last time it was on sale, even with shipping...Yup I am a bargain shopper
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD