Peterson University Flake

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I bought this tin while in SC. It is described as being VA and Burley with a light plum topping. This is a flake. The tin note was sweet VA. I did not detect the fruitiness. I had a bowl of this in SC in my straight Peterson and it burned well, and tasted sweet with a very mild spice. The spice did not show itself often but when it did it was just enough to keep the smoke from being one dimensional.

Since being home I have smoked this several times in most of my pipes. I probably went 5 days with smoking this alone. I wanted to get to know the blend. My cob did not like it at all. It smoked best when broken up and allowed to dry a bit. If not, it was very hard to get a full burn out of it. It’s good, but for me it is not an everyday smoke and it was a lot of work. I would recommend it. However, I would suggest working to find the best pipe and best packing method for you. I got bored with it, and more than that, I grew tired of fighting it. I know I have only been smoking pipes for 8 months, so my novice status may play a roll but I must say I have not had these issues with other flakes.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Peterson University Flake

Post by Del » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Peterson University Flake is Cigarson's all-time favorite blend. I buy some tins for him, every time I make a tobacco purchase.

He favors the fold-and-stuff method. He is particular about the orientation of the grain -- vertical grain tends to expand and clog the pipe. Horizontal grain just keeps blooming and blooming.

Light plum topping on virginia tobacco.... similar to Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake.

A hearty dose of Vitamin N. Not the hurling-stick whollop of Irish Flake, but plenty enough.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Del wrote:Peterson University Flake is Cigarson's all-time favorite blend. I buy some tins for him, every time I make a tobacco purchase.

He favors the fold-and-stuff method. He is particular about the orientation of the grain -- vertical grain tends to expand and clog the pipe. Horizontal grain just keeps blooming and blooming.

Light plum topping on virginia tobacco.... similar to Samuel Gawith Firedance Flake.

A hearty dose of Vitamin N. Not the hurling-stick whollop of Irish Flake, but plenty enough.

The clog was my problem as well. Reading some of the other reviews in tobaccoreviews.com I see we are not alone with this problem. I still have some left. I think I will try laying it sideways.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:52 pm

An interesting review, Jason. I have a soft spot for this one but not the version you have, which I haven't ever enjoyed. I have the JFR version straight from Belfast. :D I suspect (but don't actually know) that the German one, which you have, has similar tobaccos but the toppings are different. The Irish one is topped with a charming light but credible raspberry. Nevertheless it's probably true that both have a little more body to the smoke and it's a little stronger than medium. They are a little wet when opened but the flakes will dry down quite quickly. So lighting and keeping it burning shouldn't be a problem.

The extra body and strength makes it more satisfying but it's mild in flavour. So I usually add something darker to it. I think Stonehaven with it's wine flavours works extremely well with the raspberry and the Burleys. It's my idea of the perfect easy smoking summer blend. You could also add dark Virginia slices eg McCl #2035 or Dark Star and that would probably work with the Deutsch plum. Heil! Deutsch Plum, from KC.Yeah. Oooh boy. 8)

Anyway just break the flake into sticks as long as the depth of your bowl. Grab a bundle of the mixed sticks and drop it vertically in the bowl. Light and relax.

You never seem to notice strength so I think you may be impervious to it.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:56 pm

I have been doing the vertical method, which has worked well for me with other flakes. I get to about halfway with this University and things get clogged up. It's not as bad when the flakes are broken, but still a problem.

I think I'll let the remainder sit for a bit then come back to it. It is good, but it's work..at least for me.

EDIT TO ADD:

As to strength? I rarely notice the nicotine in any blend I have smoked so far.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm

mont974x4 wrote: As to strength? I rarely notice the nicotine in any blend I have smoked so far.
I suffer the same malady. I assumed it was because I was overgrown.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:01 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
mont974x4 wrote: As to strength? I rarely notice the nicotine in any blend I have smoked so far.
I suffer the same malady. I assumed it was because I was overgrown.
I also don't detect most of the subtle flavors. I figured my sinuses are jacked for the same reason nicotine from pipe tobacco has almost no effect on me. Years of cigarettes and working on vehicles of various types.

Food is in a similar arena. I need bold flavors or it's just "there".

I half jokingly suggested my taster is broken in another thread. It may very we'll be true.

Sent by pony express.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:19 pm

OK so bolder flavours and probably even more strength works. There are some very good tobaccos you should try. The next one up in Pete's consenting Adult tobaccos section is Irish Flake. That one is strong and Virginia/Burley/Fire Cured so it has bolder flavour and carries a big stick. Then another you must try is Samuel Gawith's 1792. That one is quite good. Any of the Lake District Flakes like Dark Flake, Coniston Cut plug, Bosun Cut plug. These have decent strength and pronounced flavour. They come complete with a trip back in time. So if you discover a leather paneled library with an obnoxious English fellow don't worry. It fades with the end of the bowl.

The other class you should try are the ropes and twists. They're mostly fire-cured so they have pretty good strong flavour and they're usually on the strong side. Check out the Lake District ropes and twists. And things like Brown Bogie, sliced rope etc You may just find that these are your huckleberry.

And then there are American goodies like C&D`s Burley Flakes, Old Joe Krantz, Billie Budd, Haunted Bookshop, Big`N Burley, Morleys Best etc...
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Rusty wrote:....The next one up in Pete's consenting Adult tobaccos section is Irish Flake. That one is strong and Virginia/Burley/Fire Cured so it has bolder flavour and carries a big stick. Then another you must try is Samuel Gawith's 1792. That one is quite good. Any of the Lake District Flakes like Dark Flake, Coniston Cut plug, Bosun Cut plug. These have decent strength and pronounced flavour. They come complete with a trip back in time. So if you discover a leather paneled library with an obnoxious English fellow don't worry. It fades with the end of the bowl.
Has anyone told you how much fun it is for us when you do this, Rusty?
Rusty wrote:The other class you should try are the ropes and twists. They're mostly fire-cured so they have pretty good strong flavour and they're usually on the strong side. Check out the Lake District ropes and twists. And things like Brown Bogie, sliced rope etc You may just find that these are your huckleberry.

And then there are American goodies like C&D`s Burley Flakes, Old Joe Krantz, Billie Budd, Haunted Bookshop, Big`N Burley, Morleys Best etc...
The ropes are fun.... playing with old-time tobacco tech. I like snipping off little disks with a cigar cutter, crumble them and pack them into my pipe.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I've enjoyed Irish Flake.

Sent by pony express.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:30 pm

I tried the horizontal packing method and that was one good smoke. :chili:

Thanks for the idea.

Del

Post by Del » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 am

mont974x4 wrote:I tried the horizontal packing method and that was one good smoke. :chili:

Thanks for the idea.
I will forward your thanks to Cigarson.

I was embarrassed that I did not think of this myself... Pack the flake so it expands out the top, instead of compacting against the sides. Seems obvious, right?

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Now in a round tin.

Heresy.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu May 11, 2017 11:42 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:49 pm
Now in a round tin.

Heresy.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS