Germain's Plum Cake

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Michael Kindt
Congregation
Congregation

Germain's Plum Cake

Post by Michael Kindt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:16 am

Of my most recent TAD purchase, I am finding Germain's Plum Cake a very nice smoke. I asked for advice before pulling the trigger from fellow CPSers and even took some of it. I also broke my self-imposed limits on TAD purchases, and my wife was totally fine with it.

Seriously, I have the greatest wife. Hang on, I'm gonna go kiss her.

. . . . .

Ok, I'm back.

Plum Cake is a delicate ribbon cut of mostly lighter colored tobaccos. Tin note is delightfully fruity with a darker hint of wine. Delicious smelling, like a high-end dessert. The smoking differs from the tin note quite a bit. It is rich and dark with hints of fruit popping in and out, certainly more tobacco forward than the tin note suggests it will be. It's a surprisingly complex and subtle smoke. Floral, fruity--dark, dried fruit, noticeable Virgina sweetness, an intriguing spiciness, which with the dark fruit, suggests perique. Very intriguing.

The Germain website says the mixture is four Virginas blended with cavendish and a "specially prepared black tobacco". Hmmm.

Nicotine-wise, it's on the medium to mild side (YMMV). It is weaker than Grousemoor, which also came in my shipment, but stronger than most American-style burleys, which I've also been smoking quite a bit of.

A civilized, fascinating, and well-done pipe tobacco, it certainly goes on my ORDER SOME MORE WHEN I RUN OUT list.
"Mediocrity is the hallmark of popularity." --Niles Crane

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: Germain's Plum Cake

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 am

A perfect example of how different tastes are... I hated the stuff. Hated it. Couldn't get it to pack correctly, couldn't keep it lit, it burnt the roof of my mouth, had little to no taste, etc. So funny how the same tobaccos react so differently to different people. Glad you liked it MK.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Michael Kindt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael Kindt » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:28 pm

There's no accounting for taste!
"Mediocrity is the hallmark of popularity." --Niles Crane

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:49 am

So there's red wine in this tobacco?

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:20 pm

I don't know what's in it but I'm sure enjoying it too. I think it's a great winter tobacco for folks who don't care much for latakia blends. At least it is for me. I'll definitely keep it around. I'll bet it ages well too.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:10 pm

I wonder, SlowToke, if you're conflating Mac Baren Plumcake with Germain Plum Cake? TR doesn't list latakia as an ingredient in Germains Plum Cake.

I've never tried the Germain & Sons stuff, but I enjoy the Mac Baren blend.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 pm

FredS wrote:I wonder, SlowToke, if you're conflating Mac Baren Plumcake with Germain Plum Cake? TR doesn't list latakia as an ingredient in Germains Plum Cake.

I've never tried the Germain & Sons stuff, but I enjoy the Mac Baren blend.

No, that's what I'm saying Germain's Plumcake doesn't have latakia. A lot of folks like latakia blends in the wintertime. I don't smoke much latakia but this tobacco seems to work nicely in the winter for me for some reason.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:15 am

This stuff is fantastic. Delightful shag cut, exquisite taste, easy pack, easy light, stays lit.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:32 am

Michael Kindt wrote:Seriously, I have the greatest wife. Hang on, I'm gonna go kiss her.
much win
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:21 am

I've always thought Plum Cake was rather nice as well. Something about tobaccos that implement wine into the blend I've always found agreeable, such as Peretti's Scottish Flake.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS