Ennerdale Flake gift from God, reports Michael Kindt

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Michael Kindt
Congregation
Congregation

Ennerdale Flake gift from God, reports Michael Kindt

Post by Michael Kindt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Michael Kindt, a bald guy with a beer belly who lives in South Dakota recently reported (like, right now, in this very post) that Gawith Hoggarth's Ennerdale Flake pipe tobacco is a veritable gift from God.

"It's simply delicious," he said to his dog, Duke, who didn't even look up from his nap on the couch. "Your loss, Dukey," Kindt told the dog, shrugging his shoulders.

Kindt had thought he'd tried Ennerdale Flake before, years ago, but now he is quite sure he is mistaken about that.

"Seriously, I thought I had it before, one time, from a sharing friend, but this stuff is so unique, I'm certain I would've remembered it. This is a pipe tobacco earthquake and one doesn't readily forget earthquakes."

When Kindt first received his tin of Ennerdale Flake in the mail, he wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

"It was so perfumey, so unlike anything I had ever smelled before, I was left scratching my bald head."

Being a brave man (Kindt is a 25 year veteran of the food service industry, who escaped with only a minor drinking problem.), he loaded a bowl and puffed away. The results were mixed.

"It was an intriguing, but not exactly a pleasurable experience. I simply folded and stuffed the flake, and that turned out to be the problem. I found when fully, completely rubbed out, the unique scent of Ennerdale Flake enhances and enriches the underlying tobacco, which are Virginias and burleys. Instead of smoking flavored or scented tobacco, you find you are smoking seasoned tobacco. I mean seasoned from a culinary standpoint."

No one likes bland food, added Kindt. "I am finding that I don't like bland tobacco."

As he nears the end of the tin, Kindt finds himself quite enamored with Ennerdale Flake, which is named after Ennerdale Water in Cumbria, England. Here is a picture of it:

Although the flavoring of Ennerdale Flake is stated by the manufacturer to be almond, fruits, and vanilla, Kindt gets none of that.

"I can't really put my finger on it. It's rich, robust, dark, bittersweet with a stout nic hit. Certainly a cool weather/end of the day type of smoke. It should be savored and pondered, not smoked haphazardly."

When asked if he would purchase Ennerdale Flake again, Kindt nodded emphatically, nearly hurting his neck.

"I have my credit card poised at the ready."
"Mediocrity is the hallmark of popularity." --Niles Crane

Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Ennerdale Flake gift from God, reports Michael Kindt

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm

Don't stop sampling as if you're going to live at Ennerdale. You have lots more to go. The buttery Brown Flake #2, Brown Flake scented and unscented, Glengarry flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Bob's Square Cut, Bob's wife (sorry Bob), the indomitable Bosun Cut Plug which btw comes complete with a 17th C. library and oddly dressed gentlemen in sense alone, Coniston Cut Plug, Kendal flake, Louisiana flake, Scotch Flake, a number of very nice mixtures, Curly cuts, twists, the formidable Dark Flake, Birds Eye, and there are more... It's a nice journey so don't dally in Ennerdale. You haven't begun to plumb the depths yet.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Michael Kindt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael Kindt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm just getting started, my dear Rusty. I will always have a tin of Ennerdale on hand, though, I suspect. Love the stuff.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Ennerdale is in the top three for me. I love the stuff. Jocose got me started on it.

Like you, I fully rub it out, not so much for the taste but for the better burning qualities. I never could get folded and stuffed flake to burn to my satisfaction.

What did you think of nicotine strength?

=============================
You can try all the other Lakelands. After Ennerdale, I tried my share. Nothing is as over the top and strangely satisfying as Ennerdale, IMO. Bosun Cut Plug was pretty good. It was clove flavored, if I recall. Black X rope was good in a strange, burnt BBQ chicken sort of way. Brown rope, well it floored me before I could even taste it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Michael Kindt
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Michael Kindt » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Cleon wrote:What did you think of nicotine strength?
Appreciable. Noticeable, but not really devastating. I get a lump in my throat and a slight tremor in my hands if I smoke it on an empty stomach (which I no longer ever do). It's really an after-dinner smoke for me, or a big lunch. Also enjoy with it an adult beverage or two. At those times, the nic is purely relaxing and enlightening. Never felt the urge to smoke it early in the day, when I prefer lighter fare.

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Had me some Ennerdale a few nights ago. One of my better pipes, and certainly my most expensive pipe, is now set aside as my Ennerdale pipe. Good stuff. Nay, Great stuff!

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

What happens to this tobacco after time in an air tight Kerr jar?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm
It develops a bloom of sugary powder and smokes wonderfully.

The perfume scent does not degrade or depreciate by any noticeable amount.

Aging does not dramatically change Ennerdale, not like the red virginia blends that we love to age so much.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Fri May 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I was gifted some aged Ennerdale (If I remember right it was 8 years old). Smoked a little softer than fresh but like Del said the flavoring didn't seem to diminish any.
Official London Fatberg Finder

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Del wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Aging does not dramatically change Ennerdale, not like the red virginia blends that we love to age so much.
Mine certainly lost flavouring. The flavouring didn't last in tobacco cellared for 3 - 5 years. It was nothing like it was new.
But you can try it and find out. It really depends upon the constituents of the topping.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Mine certainly lost flavouring. The flavouring didn't last in tobacco cellared for 3 - 5 years. It was nothing like it was new.
But you can try it and find out. It really depends upon the constituents of the topping.
You tinned some away when this thread started, right?

You knew someone would ask about aging.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sat May 27, 2017 3:59 pm

Del wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm
Rusty wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm
Del wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

You tinned some away when this thread started, right?

You knew someone would ask about aging.
Long before. I stopped buying in 2008. That Ennerdale loses topping was known to me by at least 2010, and I mentioned it some four years before this thread. Not news.
Del, you may not realize this but I only smoke old tobaccos. And it's rather disappointing to tell you the truth. Not all but certainly most lose flavour with aging. You've seen my opinion on aging tobacco change if you've been paying attention. I think all my Ennerdale is gone at this point. But that was just one of the GH tobaccos that really lost flavouring quite quickly when stored in a jar. I concluded that they're not for the cellar. The others include Bosun Cut Plug, Kendal Flake, Broken flake #7 (which I smoked last in the fall and amended it with some Lane BCA to boost the Vanilla flavouring which was all but gone), Best Brown #2, and Rum flake. Rum flake changes dramatically. That one goes from a heavy sort of Christmas plumcake tobacco to something quite reminiscent of Troost Slices! That was a surprise. The two couldn't be more different when new. But it really does depend upon the constituents of the flavourings, I think. They don't necessarily persist. Even the unscented ones, like Brown Flake, are not nearly as good (flavourful) with long age. None of the flavourings on GH tobaccos persisted at anywhere near the level that is there on new tobacco. That was unexpected. I think they're best smoked young off the shelf. They're fantastic then. One interesting exception is Bob's Chocolate flake which is still quite good at a decade old. By contrast Erinmore is still noticeably flavoured after almost 20 years in the cellar so of course that one will also persist in pipes. But as I've said before, most of the GH flavouring in flakes doesn't persist very long in the cellar nor in pipes. I've spoken up about this before so this is hardly news. I rather enjoyed the GH flavourings, esp. with McClelland Virginias, so I loved the ghost (as you call it) but it doesn't persist. There is a relation between persistence in the cellar and persistence in the pipe, I think.
Last edited by Rusty on Sat May 27, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat May 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I smoke a lot of Ennerdale. I have loads of it aging as well. Ennerdale definitely loses some of its topping after a short time in a mason jar.

One can still discern that it's Ennerdale but it's noticeably different than when something new.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS