Well aged Carter Hall

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Well aged Carter Hall

Post by bilder » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:39 am

I recently aquired a tub of Carter Hall in a trade (thanks Judge Rusty!) with a good 6 years of age on it. The label from the store where purchased was from 2008 and who knows how long it was sitting around before it got tagged.

One thing I did notice is that the tub is not as moist as the pouches. I usually find the pouches to be a bit too moist where the tub is just about spot on. Saved me the trouble of leaving it to air out for a bit before packing. Not sure if this is normal for tubs (I have never had a tub before) or if it just dried out a little over the years.

I loaded up a pipe and went for a morning stroll around my little town yesterday to savor my favorite codger blend. It is a nice burley base with just a hint of virginia and possibly a little casing on it.

I do not know about aged burley, but the age on the wee bit of virginia in this blend was noticeable (I think). Made this mixture a bit more complex than I am used to in a very good way. Added some nice flavor notes that I have not encountered with this blend before. Not entirely sure if it is the age on the virginia, the age on the burley or just the fact that this is a tub and not a pouch. Whatever it is, I am pretty sure I will be sad when the last of this tub is gone.
"Welcome. Please post things that make no sense." -Onyx

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Well aged Carter Hall

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

here here! Carter Hall is a DL Jake approved OTC baccy.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

Carter Hill is one of the OTC blends I haven't tried, and now I want to.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:12 am

Irish-Dane wrote:Carter Hill is one of the OTC blends I haven't tried, and now I want to.
My pipe mentor, Father Rick from the Gatlinburlier calls Carter Hall the comfort food of pipe tobaccos.

I have never tried it either; it was difficult to leave it sealed before shipping to Bilder.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Carter Hall is the one otc codger blend that I really like. Would like to see what is like with some age on it.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:37 pm

bilder wrote:I recently aquired a tub of Carter Hall in a trade (thanks Judge Rusty!) with a good 6 years of age on it. The label from the store where purchased was from 2008 and who knows how long it was sitting around before it got tagged.

One thing I did notice is that the tub is not as moist as the pouches. I usually find the pouches to be a bit too moist where the tub is just about spot on. Saved me the trouble of leaving it to air out for a bit before packing. Not sure if this is normal for tubs (I have never had a tub before) or if it just dried out a little over the years.

I loaded up a pipe and went for a morning stroll around my little town yesterday to savor my favorite codger blend. It is a nice burley base with just a hint of virginia and possibly a little casing on it.

I do not know about aged burley, but the age on the wee bit of virginia in this blend was noticeable (I think). Made this mixture a bit more complex than I am used to in a very good way. Added some nice flavor notes that I have not encountered with this blend before. Not entirely sure if it is the age on the virginia, the age on the burley or just the fact that this is a tub and not a pouch. Whatever it is, I am pretty sure I will be sad when the last of this tub is gone.

I may have made a mistake.

I know one bowl does not an opinion make, but ...

I just lit my first bowl of Carter Hall ever. It happens to be from a sample out of a well aged tub. THANKS BILDER for tithing back.
The scent from the bag was much like Hershey's cocoa to me.
It is a very fine cut and packs accordingly.
It lit easily and produces a lot of smoke.
This is really tasty and produced a mild hit of nic at first.
I do not find it similar to PA at all.
A particular flavor is hard to describe; there is a bit of nuttiness but sweeter than the normal burley nutty flavor--like nuts baked into a coffee cake maybe. Mainly just pleasant tobacco taste.
BIlder--have you decided if there is much difference between aged and non-aged Carter Hall? My grocery store has replaced the tub I purchased and sent to you (I doubt it is as old).
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:42 pm

I have not done a side by side comparison as of yet. I do have one pouch that I may open and see if there is much difference.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Imagine my surprise when I got home from work yesterday, to find a padded envelope in the mailbox from none other than Bilder. In said envelope, a hearty offering of the Carter Hill from this thread. Thanks friend!!! What an awesome and unexpected gift.

Tonight it shall be smoked. :dance:
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Imagine my surprise when I got home from work yesterday, to find a padded envelope in the mailbox from none other than Bilder. In said envelope, a hearty offering of the Carter Hill from this thread. Thanks friend!!! What an awesome and unexpected gift.

Tonight it shall be smoked. :dance:
+1 yesterday. I suppose someone overheard us when we said we would like to try some.

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:32 am

Got a couple days off and decided it was time to do some comparison between old and new Carter Hall.

I opened my last pouch to compare to the tub and found a few differences. Not sure if these differences are because of the age of the tub or because I am comparing a pouch with a tub.

The tub tobacco is slightly lighter in color than the pouch, yet the aroma from the aged tub is much stronger than the pouch tobacco. The tub blend is drier than the pouch as well.

I packed some up and gave them a smoke. The taste is certainly different between them with the tub stuff being a bit more flavorful. Not much, but enough to notice. I would say the tub stuff is a bit more sweet than the pouch. Not sure if the higher moisture level in the pouch stuff diminished the flavor or if age brought out some more of the sweetness in the tub, but there is a difference between the two.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:39 am

I like Prince Albert, but Carter Hall is a better smoke. The idea of age enhancing an OTC blend has always seemed a little picky to me, but c'est la pipe, I suppose.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:16 pm

I've always thought I noticed an apple-ish taste in Carter Hall.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

bilder
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by bilder » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Steverino wrote:I've always thought I noticed an apple-ish taste in Carter Hall.
I always thought of it as an anise type note.

FireDragon
Congregation
Congregation

Post by FireDragon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 am

I discovered Carter Hall a year ago, bought on a whim at a downtown Orlando smoke shop (the ones with lots of bubblers and glass pipes). It was the only pouch they had left. And it turned out to be a really nice "get back into pipe smoking" smoke.

I always thought the fruit topping reminded me of plums or prunes.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 am

I purchased the tub of Carter Hall that the grocery store replaced the one I bought for Bilder.

I normally smoke flakes or broken flakes and I know they smoke slower, but ...

a bowl of Carter Hall smokes faster than anything I have ever smoked. Pipes that I usually get 45 minutes+ out of each bowl are lasting 20-30 minutes. I have tried packing a bit tighter, but no real change.

Everything else about the smoke is as expected and I do enjoy it a bit more than PA (this is my first try with CH).

Does Carter Hall require a much tighter pack?

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:21 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:I purchased the tub of Carter Hall that the grocery store replaced the one I bought for Bilder.

I normally smoke flakes or broken flakes and I know they smoke slower, but ...

a bowl of Carter Hall smokes faster than anything I have ever smoked. Pipes that I usually get 45 minutes+ out of each bowl are lasting 20-30 minutes. I have tried packing a bit tighter, but no real change.

Everything else about the smoke is as expected and I do enjoy it a bit more than PA (this is my first try with CH).

Does Carter Hall require a much tighter pack?
Yeah, the flavor of CH is good but it burns very fast, pack it too tight it'll start to bite.

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:37 pm

Ribbon Cut tobaccos like Carter Hall naturally burn faster than the more dense flakes. Since Carter Hall consists of short cut ribbons it pours easily into the bowl. Use a larger 7/8" wide or larger chamber and gently pour CH into the bowl filling it clear to the top of the rim. Gently with the force of a feather tamp with little pressure until you begin to feel resistance. Top off the bowl again and gently tamp again using the same light as a feather force. Continue doing this until you have loaded the bowl within 1/8th of an inch or so from the top of the bowl.
Light and then gently tamp (light as a feather) periodically as ash forms on top to maintain good combustion.
The beauty of CH is that it lights and stays lit easily and it is best to be gently sipped. Gently sipping this mixture will make a medium size bowl last at least 30 to 45 minutes and keep it from burning too hot and causing tongue bite. Too tight a draw will cause you to want to puff it like a freight train and too loose a draw will cause you to do the same in order to keep it lit. Both will cause over heating...a fast burn...and tongue bite.
Pack it just snug....sip it gently and lightly tamp occasionally to keep from getting too thick of an ash, and slowly savor the moments with CH.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:44 pm

I have tubs side by side of Prince Albert and Carter Hall. There's a lot of similarities, but I prefer Prince Albert. They're both pleasant and mild smokes, but there's ano earthy note to the cocoa sweetness that I prefer in Prince Albert. That said, I would buy Carter Hall again.

The funny thing is that I tried both of these tobaccos twenty years ago when I didn't know what I was doing and thought they both were acrid, cheapo blends. I stuck with Sugar Barrel. But once you know what you're doing, there's a lot of goodness in both blends.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:I have tubs side by side of Prince Albert and Carter Hall. There's a lot of similarities, but I prefer Prince Albert. They're both pleasant and mild smokes, but there's ano earthy note to the cocoa sweetness that I prefer in Prince Albert. That said, I would buy Carter Hall again.

The funny thing is that I tried both of these tobaccos twenty years ago when I didn't know what I was doing and thought they both were acrid, cheapo blends. I stuck with Sugar Barrel. But once you know what you're doing, there's a lot of goodness in both blends.
My dad smoked PA when I was a kid and I loved the room note. Funny thing...I've never tried PA all the years of smoking a pipe. I think the thing that attracted me to CH is the fact that it consists of both Burly and Virginia and some Cavendish; which I thought would make CH a little more dimensional than the PA which I believe is only a straight Burly. I guess I should not judge the PA based only on that. I guess I'm going to have to pick up some PA and give it a shot. Have you noticed any difference between the pouch and tub PA?

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 pm

harkpuff wrote:
hugodrax wrote:I have tubs side by side of Prince Albert and Carter Hall. There's a lot of similarities, but I prefer Prince Albert. They're both pleasant and mild smokes, but there's ano earthy note to the cocoa sweetness that I prefer in Prince Albert. That said, I would buy Carter Hall again.

My dad smoked PA when I was a kid and I loved the room note. Funny thing...I've never tried PA all the years of smoking a pipe. I think the thing that attracted me to CH is the fact that it consists of both Burly and Virginia and some Cavendish; which I thought would make CH a little more dimensional than the PA which I believe is only a straight Burly. I guess I should not judge the PA based only on that. I guess I'm going to have to pick up some PA and give it a shot. Have you noticed any difference between the pouch and tub PA?
The pouch is very porous. But unless you leave it a hot car all day, there won't be much of difference as far I can tell.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image