Villiger 1888 Cocktail Hour

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Villiger 1888 Cocktail Hour

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:15 am

I received about an ounce of Cocktail Hour from FOP. He asked that I post some reviews of the blends he sent.

First of all, I apologize for not being able to offer comparison to Three Nuns, as I have never smoked Three Nuns.

I do not know the age of this sample; it was not overly dry, but not wet as some described the package in reviews on TR.

At first, I was confused as I packed the bowl. What looked like a ribbon cut, was mixed with coins. Then I read some reviews and found that this is the way it is packaged.

I copied a portion of a review from TR: " ...produces nice amounts of creamy white smoke. On the other hand, it really has no flavor or body. It is so mild that it is hard to even find ways to describe what it tastes like. Of course, it has a little sweetness, from the VA's..." While I would not dismiss the tobacco as having "no flavor or body," otherwise I agree with the statements. I would add that from my limited experience, it tastes like someone added some burley to Mac Baren's Club Blend. For some of you, that would seem like a dandy combination. However, for me, the burley mutes some of the Virginia flavor (or at least dilutes it).

Overall, it is a pleasant smoke. It might burn a bit hot for an all day smoke, but my sample produced only mild bite.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Re: Villiger 1888 Cocktail Hour

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:44 pm

As popular as this was/is, I didn't expect to hear it was bland. I still want to try it, but still surprised.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 pm

It's an interesting contrast to Three Nuns in the past. There is no way anyone could describe that as bland. There was also a very noticeable topping.

The only question is how it might have changed after the tin was opened. We don't know how it was treated by FoP. It might be that he received it as a sample in a ziplock from somebody else. The history is missing. There is a thread about Three Nuns as Cocktail hour returning here on the forum so one could date the tin.

STG made that. And STG was making BAT's export Three Nuns after 1990. It did change quite dramatically but it wasn't bland.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:53 pm

That's the thread that got me curious about it.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Rusty wrote:It's an interesting contrast to Three Nuns in the past. There is no way anyone could describe that as bland. There was also a very noticeable topping.

The only question is how it might have changed after the tin was opened. We don't know how it was treated by FoP. It might be that he received it as a sample in a ziplock from somebody else. The history is missing. There is a thread about Three Nuns as Cocktail hour returning here on the forum so one could date the tin.

STG made that. And STG was making BAT's export Three Nuns after 1990. It did change quite dramatically but it wasn't bland.
Bland was not in my description. Also, please recall that I am reluctant to like Burley and as a former Noob, I am not that experienced with Burley interactions and reviews. As I stated, Burley folks may say that it pushes the right buttons.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:As popular as this was/is, I didn't expect to hear it was bland. I still want to try it, but still surprised.
I think it wasn't that popular in the US even in the old days. You guys connected it to CS Lewis. It's currently #34 on Smoking Pipes top 100 list. Is that popular? I think that #34 makes it more popular now than it was in the past. I dug out surveys of top selling US blends from the 60's through to the 80's some time ago and Three Nuns was always down in the weeds with many other blends long since discontinued. By contrast Three Nuns was usually at the bottom of the top ten in Britain. Condor and St. Bruno were #1 & #2. So popularity depends upon country and perhaps date. Curiously the Danes dropped the export St. Bruno because it's not in the set anymore. I suspect that the European market preferred Three Nuns and Capstan to St. Bruno. There were others of that set that they dropped too.

Three Nuns is a Virginia not a Burley. If it ever had pushed any buttons for a Burley mix it would very likely have been much more popular in America in the past.

"it really has no flavor or body. It is so mild that it is hard to even find ways to describe what it tastes like." That's a pretty good description of bland.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Tasted like Senior Service cigarettes to me.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:33 pm

I do have to wonder about what you said Rusty, about not knowing the parameters of how FoP stored it in the first place. I might even have a tin of it somewhere in a box. Time to go looking.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:26 am

Well, I'll finish my last tin of this one today. I opened it a couple weeks or so ago, and it's been my duck-blind and all-around "outdoors" smoke, and a good one. Sort-of fitting I suppose, that the end of the last tin coincides with the end of the duck and woodcock seasons. I looked around on line and found no more.

The original description always cracked me up ..."notes of chocolate and pineapple", etc. It wasn't that, but it sure wasn't bland, either, as some tried to say. It was just a simply good smoke, especially for the outdoors. Another good tobacco gone.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

So they're not making 1888 anymore???

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm
No. Massive failure on the market, according to my tobacconist. But don't take that as the Gospel.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:58 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
No. Massive failure on the market, according to my tobacconist. But don't take that as the Gospel.
Glad I have a tin then. Actually, I have the whole set. I have a grand idea in my head to open them all when we move into the new house and follow the regiment of smoking each blend at its appropriate time of the day. I'll probably forget, but it's a good idea anyway.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:58 pm
Irish-Dane wrote:
Glad I have a tin then. Actually, I have the whole set. I have a grand idea in my head to open them all when we move into the new house and follow the regiment of smoking each blend at its appropriate time of the day. I'll probably forget, but it's a good idea anyway.
Hope you enjoy! I never got tins of the entire series. I did try one of the others besides CH, I forget which one; but basically I never got past CH and bought several tins at close-out prices at the Briar Shoppe in Houston. This last tin was the best, of course. The last one always is.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)