Peterson Irish Oak

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Peterson Irish Oak

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 am

The contents of the tin are quite different from when I first tried this blend 18 years ago. I do distinctly remember that the older version had a very appealing look with strands of black, orange, yellow and brown. Now the whole blend is a homogenous medium brown and it’s hard to distinguish the various components. I don’t recall anything other than that and thought the note may be of interest. This review is concerned with the newest version of Irish Oak and not a trip down memory lane of something unavailable.

As noted the tin contents are of a pretty uniform brown color. Digging deep into the pile of medium cut strands and taking a big whiff brings out notes of hay, honey, a certain sweetness that is hard to place along with some fruitiness that is faint. Interestingly enough I do not get any Sherry or wood notes as I would have expected. The cut is quite handy since it is uniform, needs no drying time, and does not require any further rubbing out. There were no stems or large uncut chunks present. After a quick pack and initial lighting, which takes minimal false lights, the hay and honey notes come out from the Virginias and there is a very light start to the bowl. The flavors mentioned intensify a bit and right around finishing the first third and the perique makes an entrance with pepper and a faint figgy/fruity flavor. This continues to build to the bottom of the bowl and throughout there is an interplay of the initial hay and honey with pepper, figgy and fruity along with a very slight woody/earthy note. A very enjoyable blend with no tongue bite to speak of and a full flavor with a solid medium nicotine hit. There are no hints of bitterness and a very gentle sweetness throughout. Room note is enjoyable and not heavy at all although non-smokers may disapprove since perique can have a unique aroma.

This blend is a solid three out of four stars and if you like Vapers at all then I would definitely give it a try. The blend seems to appeal to many pipe smokers since it seems to cross a few boundaries between Virginia, Vaper, and burley lovers. I tend toward burley, Virginia and perique blends so this fits nicely into my bailiwick. Don’t expect an aromatic with this one and those who are die hard latakia lovers may tend to shy away but if you’d like a diversion I would definitely give it a try.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Peterson Irish Oak

Post by parson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks for the review! I tried Irish Oak several years ago and liked it. Then I bought a tin that was absolutely flat and tasteless. I heard from a few others that there was some kind of quality control problem. I left it alone though I do have a couple of tins in the cellar. I did try a sample tin a few months ago and found it tasty but different from what I remembered. That could very well be a memory problem.