RAW Pipe Tobacco

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

RAW Pipe Tobacco

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:26 pm

One of my local discount tobacco type stores has been carrying RAW pipe tobacco. It was shelved next to the typical pipe tobaccos found in this sort of establishment, but I didn't pay it much attention. I figured it was just another shag cut cigarette blend posing as pipe tobacco to circumvent the higher tax rate. During my last visit, curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the pouch from the shelf to read the back. The description told the tale of how much time and effort was put into curing this Virginia and Burly blend. blah blah blah. The toppings were also noted: Canadian maple sugar, Belgian dark chocolate, English liquorice, cane sugar from Guyana, and cocoa powder from Venezuelan beans. The other item of note on the package was, "Made by Mac Baren Tobacco Company." I figured for the small price of five dollars, why not? I paid the man and walked out to the car. I opened the pouch and was very surprised to find a tobacco in a pipe cut. It was typical of Mac Baren's ready rubbed tinned blends; nice long ribbons, some remnant of flake here and there, and a lovely fermented hay aroma. I packed a bowl and put fire to it. The smoking experience was also a surprise. It's not renamed Virginia no. 1 in a pouch, but it's fairly close. The topping is light and adds nicely to the sweet, ripe hay flavor of the Virginias. I didn't pick up on the Burley, but it may be there just enough to round the taste off. I have no complaints. It's an affordable blend that I can get easily. It smokes well and tastes pretty good to a lover of Virginia blends.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis