DL Jake’s 5050

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

DL Jake’s 5050

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:50 pm

So it seems that I should be more concise and cut the crap until I’m a bit more sure of my impressions, reviewing is perhaps a learning process, so anyway your very own hipster douche back to give it another go!

First impressions: The baggie note was straight dark chocolate to me, and first light more chocolate. Through out the bowl a roughness grew, I smoked this one like I would many english, big puffs, so it got a little hot and bitey, but still good, some spiciness/earthiness and the chocolate faded a bit in the middle, but still left a lasting impression in my mouth. Definitely rougher than the others, that’s all I have for now, more next time. Also very cold tonight, that seems to have an effect on the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: DL Jake’s 5050

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:24 pm

5050 is no loner in production. Special orders still accepted while ingredients last.

When I stumbled upon the making of 5050 in the basement of The Tobacco Fairy’s Secret ‘bakky Laboratory, I thought it was da poo! I’ve come to think it’s more like maybe; not so great. I don’t smoke it anymore. Upgraded to 328. I strongly encourage you to search your feelings. Reach deep, Johnny. Tell it on a mountain! Go for it, man! 328 v 5050 all Johnny HeMan! Ya know, that style you had before you got married, got a kid and a steady job. We all wanna see you make an ass out of yourself! Don’t deny your followers, Johnny!!!!!!!!! Steady job be damned, man! Speak your mind!
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

DL Jake’s 5050

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 am

So, the thing is I am perhaps not the best reviewer when it comes to flavored tobaccos, until recently I could not even taste about 90% of all aromatic flavorings in tobaccos, I feel like my pallet has changed recently and all of a sudden I can pick up probably more like 60% but it’s still hit or miss whether I can even detect the aromatic flavor when actually smoking the tobacco, most aros just taste like hot air to me.

With that said, I was able to pick up chocolate in 5050, I could not taste any flavoring at all in 328, doesn’t mean it’s not there, but it could just be that I can’t detect it. I’ll have to smoke it again, try some different pipes in case it’s a ghosting issue, but perhaps I’m not the best person to weigh in on such a debate, I would be curious to hear other’s impressions. I will keep at it and report back.

Ha if you are referring to the days of drunken garage smoke sessions on Google Hangout, those will not be returning haha... one bad night on too much rum and I was done with that. The wild man has been tamed somewhat.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 am

Hey, have you ever had Carter Hall? You should try a pouch of Carter Hall. As a matter of fact, if you're reviewing Jake's blends, trying Carter Hall is imperative.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

DL Jake’s 5050

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 am

hugodrax wrote:Hey, have you ever had Carter Hall? You should try a pouch of Carter Hall. As a matter of fact, if you're reviewing Jake's blends, trying Carter Hall is imperative.

I had a sample once, but I don’t make a practice of spending money on drugstore tobaccos when I have a 30+ pound cellar of tins and bulks that are in danger of aging out... I went nuts on TAD from about 2009-2012 so now I rarely buy tobacco at all unless it is something that I’m super interested in.

If you want to send me some Carter Hall I will be more than willing to give it a shot, I’m sure it would be an educational experience.

Of the popular drugstore blends I like half & half best of the ones I’ve tried. Good for mowing the lawn, fishing, and kayaking.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 am
hugodrax wrote:Hey, have you ever had Carter Hall? You should try a pouch of Carter Hall. As a matter of fact, if you're reviewing Jake's blends, trying Carter Hall is imperative.

I had a sample once, but I don’t make a practice of spending money on drugstore tobaccos when I have a 30+ pound cellar of tins and bulks that are in danger of aging out... I went nuts on TAD from about 2009-2012 so now I rarely buy tobacco at all unless it is something that I’m super interested in.

You know, it's all very well to smoke your unobtanium tobacco in your special, special pipes that mark you out as a real connoisseur if you know the difference between good and bad. You might, for all I know, too---in fact, I'd bet on it. But denigrating entire genres of tobacco as not worth your time is the mark of the hipster. Did you ever notice Jake loves Carter Hall? Smokes a shite-ton of it, he does. Never had one blend from him yet where I couldn't taste the heavy presence of Carter Hall. Unmistakeable deep, earthy cocoa.

And I'd be glad to send you some Carter Hall and some Prince Albert, if you like. :lol:

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

You know, it's all very well to smoke your unobtanium tobacco in your special, special pipes that mark you out as a real connoisseur if you know the difference between good and bad. You might, for all I know, too---in fact, I'd bet on it. But denigrating entire genres of tobacco as not worth your time is the mark of the hipster. Did you ever notice Jake loves Carter Hall? Smokes a shite-ton of it, he does. Never had one blend from him yet where I couldn't taste the heavy presence of Carter Hall. Unmistakeable deep, earthy cocoa.

And I'd be glad to send you some Carter Hall and some Prince Albert, if you like. :lol:
So I did give PA a run years ago, I know I don’t like that one, for sure, but Carter Hall I’d take you up on, always willing to try something new. Like I said, I like Half & half, and 1Q is ok although I didn’t care for the other variations of Capt Black besides the blue. I just don’t care for them enough to pay money for them. As you know I’m a fanboy of GLP and C&D unabashedly, as much as Jake likes CH I like pretty much everything GLP makes, different strokes you know? But I am going through a new phase where I’m starting to widen my horizons to some aromatics here and there, so I welcome the suggestion. It’s not so much the unobtanium factor that makes me pick up tobacco, it’s the fact that a blender I love and appreciate the work of putting out a new blend. There are lots of rare tobaccos that I could care less about, but if it says pease on the label I want to smoke it because his blends are phenomenal to me. If I had to smoke one tobacco for the rest of my life it would be Chelsea Morning, it isn’t rare, I just like it because I like it. I understand why you think that about me, but I don’t think it is necessarily true. Maybe we should exchange samples so you can understand what I’m talking about, I’ll send you some Chelsea and you send me some Carter Hall and we can compare notes.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

DL Jake’s 5050

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Also He has made me aware of the fact that CH is in most of his blends, but I am choosing to evaluate each blend independently based on my own experience as if I did not know that fact. It’s like reading the label before you smoke something and it says it tastes like fig, your brain is going to automatically say, “oh, I taste fig” I try to steer clear of that.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

So I did give PA a run years ago, I know I don’t like that one, for sure, but Carter Hall I’d take you up on, always willing to try something new. Like I said, I like Half & half, and 1Q is ok although I didn’t care for the other variations of Capt Black besides the blue. I just don’t care for them enough to pay money for them. As you know I’m a fanboy of GLP and C&D unabashedly, as much as Jake likes CH I like pretty much everything GLP makes, different strokes you know? But I am going through a new phase where I’m starting to widen my horizons to some aromatics here and there, so I welcome the suggestion. It’s not so much the unobtanium factor that makes me pick up tobacco, it’s the fact that a blender I love and appreciate the work of putting out a new blend. There are lots of rare tobaccos that I could care less about, but if it says pease on the label I want to smoke it because his blends are phenomenal to me. If I had to smoke one tobacco for the rest of my life it would be Chelsea Morning, it isn’t rare, I just like it because I like it. I understand why you think that about me, but I don’t think it is necessarily true. Maybe we should exchange samples so you can understand what I’m talking about, I’ll send you some Chelsea and you send me some Carter Hall and we can compare notes.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. I was honestly playing. I tease you because you went for the luxury immediately. That isn't a bad thing. If it matters, I kind of respect it.

The reason I'm adamant about Carter Hall is because it's all I taste in these things. It's a unique tobacco with a real sense of self.

You do know most of what I smoke is tinned VA flakes, right? I'm hardly the poster child for plebian tobacco. My favorite, hands down, is Key Largo. Forgive any personalities you might think I'm up to--honestly, I wouldn't do that to you.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm

I smoked Carter Hall in a Teipen Prince while driving a Ford this afternoon.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

DL Jake’s 5050

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

And I'd be glad to send you some Carter Hall and some Prince Albert, if you like. Image

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve. I was honestly playing. I tease you because you went for the luxury immediately. That isn't a bad thing. If it matters, I kind of respect it.

The reason I'm adamant about Carter Hall is because it's all I taste in these things. It's a unique tobacco with a real sense of self.

You do know most of what I smoke is tinned VA flakes, right? I'm hardly the poster child for plebian tobacco. My favorite, hands down, is Key Largo. Forgive any personalities you might think I'm up to--honestly, I wouldn't do that to you.
Oh no, it’s all in good fun, I just wanted to quibble. Anyhow, I actually did smoke stokkebye highland whiskey and 1Q for a couple of years before I discovered 965 and then GLP Blackpoint, developed a taste for VA later. In the beginning I just smoked whatever the B&M carried, sometimes I look back fondly on the days of smoking out of baggies, but I started smoking pipe after cigars so I never did the pouch thing.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:

And I'd be glad to send you some Carter Hall and some Prince Albert, if you like. Image

Oh no, it’s all in good fun, I just wanted to quibble. Anyhow, I actually did smoke stokkebye highland whiskey and 1Q for a couple of years before I discovered 965 and then GLP Blackpoint, developed a taste for VA later. In the beginning I just smoked whatever the B&M carried, sometimes I look back fondly on the days of smoking out of baggies, but I started smoking pipe after cigars so I never did the pouch thing.

I'm so glad you took it that way. The very first tin of tobacco I ever purchased was Early Morning Pipe. I tried to return it because I thought it had gone off and nobody would smoke that. The tobacconist laughed and took pity on me and decided to train me. :mermaid:

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:49 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I smoked Carter Hall in a Teipen Prince while driving a Ford this afternoon.
You sir, are a true American!