35%
5 (best)
28%

Total votes: 57

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Lzrdlps wrote:Rumor has it that Morgan will no longer be making this for Dunhill...
I wonder if the quality will change.

BTW, its one of my favorites.
Does Morgan also make Dunhill EMP?
Current Superhero: FredS

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Lzrdlps wrote:Rumor has it that Morgan will no longer be making this for Dunhill...
I wonder if the quality will change.

BTW, its one of my favorites.
Does Morgan also make Dunhill EMP?
I thought it was Orlik... I think Morgan stepped off that train some years back.

But I could be wrong, too.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

GrabowGuy
I get no stars, and will like it.

Post by GrabowGuy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Nightcap, Royal Yacht, and Elizibethian Mixture have to be Dunhills Three strongest blends. All are heavy hitters and let you know you're smoking the real thing and not some wannabe.
COBS SUCK!

jj1015
Pastor
Pastor

Post by jj1015 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:28 pm

For some odd reason, Nightcap and I have never gotten along, and I love latakia. I always just found the taste disagreeable, although it's been a couple of years since I tried a bowl. I'm very much in the minority on this, though!

GrabowGuy
I get no stars, and will like it.

Post by GrabowGuy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

jj1015 wrote:For some odd reason, Nightcap and I have never gotten along, and I love latakia. I always just found the taste disagreeable, although it's been a couple of years since I tried a bowl. I'm very much in the minority on this, though!
I too am like that. I like it, but would much rather have Penzance or Frog Morton.
COBS SUCK!

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Ok, I'm halfway down my first bowl of Nightcap. It is strong, I'll give it that. I've been gingerly puffing at it and putting it down. I'm using a Comoy anniversary that has only had two coins of Escudo through it. I'm trying to burn off the Escudo because it smells like halitosis.

I can be said that the first bowl is not the best judge of character, but in this case I think I can venture some opinions. At match, we have the creamy, deep brown-sugar flavour of heavy latakia. A couple draws in and we have the bitter edge of black Columbian coffee, dark chocolate. My sense memory says Black Knight minus the burley. I'm also getting strong memories of Westminster.

I'm not going to say I like it or hate it yet. It's too soon. But I will say that there's no rushing this tobacco. You'll want a nice open airway so you don't puff too hard. I guess you could liken it to espresso. There's a reason they serve it in small mugs.
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Kirk1701 wrote:I'm not going to say I like it or hate it yet. It's too soon. But I will say that there's no rushing this tobacco. You'll want a nice open airway so you don't puff too hard. I guess you could liken it to espresso. There's a reason they serve it in small mugs.
You're going to hate it. You should give up now and send what's left to me . . . :wink:

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Kirk1701 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:39 pm

michigander wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:I'm not going to say I like it or hate it yet. It's too soon. But I will say that there's no rushing this tobacco. You'll want a nice open airway so you don't puff too hard. I guess you could liken it to espresso. There's a reason they serve it in small mugs.
You're going to hate it. You should give up now and send what's left to me . . . :wink:
Har har har
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

contrerasblends
Congregation
Congregation

Post by contrerasblends » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 pm

LOVE IT!

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu May 07, 2009 4:11 pm

UncleBob wrote:I read somewhere (dont you just love hearsay as fact) that Nightcap is only about 8% latakia. Most of its body comes from Oriental leaf. Until recently this was considered a rich latakia (7-12%) but many newer blends are 40% or higher. I think the Dunhill Apperitiff (sp?) is much richer, though sweeter.
Have you ever tried straight blenders latakia, it is truly and experience.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu May 07, 2009 4:53 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I read somewhere (dont you just love hearsay as fact) that Nightcap is only about 8% latakia. Most of its body comes from Oriental leaf. Until recently this was considered a rich latakia (7-12%) but many newer blends are 40% or higher. I think the Dunhill Apperitiff (sp?) is much richer, though sweeter.
Have you ever tried straight blenders latakia, it is truly and experience.
Nahhh. I don't believe a word of it. Nightcap is better than 50% Latakia - and always has been. Presbyterian might be 8% Latakia and it's vastly different than Nightcap. At less than 20% Latakia we might reasonably question whether it's an English Latakia blend at all. Check Loring's tobacco catalog... there is a comparison and xref of some blends.
http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/duntob2chart.htm

There are certainly blends today that have more Latakia than the Dunhill's did, but this isn't a reason to re-write history. Historically many of the Dunhill's probably had Syrian Latakia too. At some point in the 60's Syrian started to run low - there was no more available - and it's quite likely that the blenders were adjusting the blends. At first they probably started using an increasing dilution of the combined Syrian & Cyprian Latakia but within a decade or so the only Latakia was from Cyprus.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Re: Dunhill - Nightcap

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:37 am

I gave this a 4. It is very good. However, I need to revisit some of my earlier favorites before I determine if it is The Best.

This was a new tin purchased from P&C. Made in Denmark.
This is a ribbon cut blend of VA/Lat/Per/Oriental/Turkish. My initial impression is that this is a smooth, smoky, and mildly sweet blend. After trying this in several pipes I have found it is best in a smaller bowl. I also need to smoke it when I am not doing anything labor intensive. This is the first blend that I have tried that had enough nicotine to really hit me in the gut. Smoking this blend while puttering in the garage, or working in the yard, is not a good thing. Sit down. Enjoy it. Smoke it slowly and it will be a tasty treat that goes well with a cup of coffee and a book. I really like this blend, but must remember to respect it. I have smoked this before bed, and being careful with it, had a great smoke and slept as well as I can on any other night.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:55 am

One of my very favorite blends. Makes me want to smoke it all day.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:54 pm

I love Nightcap. It was the first real tobacco; tinned tobacco I ever smoked. Gave me heartburn after the first bowl and I left it sit for some time, but then the 2nd bowl was blissful.

Have more than a pound of bulk stored in 1/2 pint Kerr jars and it seems to mellow and get better.

Some say it is a Latakia bomb, but I don't get that. The sweet Virginias are foremost to me, and the Latakia and however much Perique there is, gives it a lot of body, and full, round delicious flavor
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis