Your Top Five Pipe Tobacco Blends

Review your favorite tobaccos here.
Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:13 am

I still collect tins in addition to all the lifetime supply gathering so I'm not trying to say one is superior to the other. But they are different, both in intent, investment requirements, and their sizes.

My point is just that trying to build a lifetime supply when one is older (less lifetime remaining) is actually achievable in some cases. It's much harder for the younger smoker and there are better places for his money.

The perceived threat to tobacco (and pipe tobacco, specifically) is driving some of this discussion and my comments on fuzziness are part of that so it's worth talking about that.

Most of us have experienced smoking bans. They always apply equally to all smoked tobacco products across the board, even in the US. Outside the US the tobacco control and taxation threats apply equally to all tobacco products too. There is no preferential treatment for any tobacco. But that's not the case at all in the US.

The first thing one notices about US tobacco control and taxation is that it isn't applied equally to all forms of tobacco. There is a long standing, significant bias toward applying controls with specific forms of tobacco. One can see the unequal treatment as early as 1949 with the US Federal Jenkins Act. This was among the first modern tobacco control initiatives in the US and, other than excise, it was virtually the only Federal tobacco control for many years. This has had significant impact right through to today. The fact that any of you can legally order cigars & pipe tobacco online today is due solely to the diff. in handling of forms of tobacco in the Jenkins Act. The Jenkins Act was also used to support significant action against online cig sales that really accelerated in 2005. And this is a really good example:
http://www.atf.gov/press/fy05press/0317 ... iative.htm
The PT industry would be very different today if the Jenkins Act had applied to PT & Cigars.

The US Federal Jenkins Act established reporting requirements (for tax purposes) for cigs & smokeless tobacco in cross-State sales, but, interestingly, not for cigars nor pipe tobacco. There was no Federal support for States collecting taxes on inter-state sales of pipe tobacco or cigars - none at all. The first major overhaul of the Jenkins Act is in HR 1676/S.1147 and is called, euphemistically, The PACT (Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking) Act. The bias continues. HR 1676 has passed Congress with approval and is in the Senate's hands. In it they are changing the reporting of inter-State sales of cigs etc to outright ban of remote sale of those forms of tobacco using delivery via the mail/courier etc. Did they ban or change the reporting requirements to explicitly include pipe tobacco & cigars in cross border sales? No. And this is really peculiar. Why the difference in treatment? Instead they used age of majority as an issue to justify a complex and very awkward notification to the consumers State. They want you paying your State tobacco taxes on PT and cigars but they are unwilling to subject cigars and PT to the same treatment as cigs.

Since the FDA figures large in the perception of threat let's look at the bill giving them authority and esp. FDA's previous efforts in tobacco control.
In the mid-1990s, the FDA claimed authority under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to regulate cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products as "delivery devices for nicotine, an addictive drug". The agency’s 1996 tobacco regulation was invalidated by the U.S. Supreme Court in March 2000. The Supreme Court’s decision made it clear the Congress would have to enact legislation giving FDA statutory authority over tobacco products in order for the agency to assert jurisdiction.

Again we saw the lopsided treatment of certain tobacco products. The FDA focused on cigs and smokeless tobacco, just like the Jenkins Act. And in fact there were some at the time who challenged the FDA to justify it's lack of regulatory attention over pipe tobacco and cigars. The FDA formally replied as part of the Congressional record in 1996 essentially saying that neither pipe tobacco nor cigars had any attraction for the young and therefore did not warrant FDA attention but that they would monitor. Amazing.
I commented at length about this, complete with quotes from the record, in the following thread:
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=246851

The 2009 FDA Regulatory Authority legislation comes as a consequence and a result of all this history. And I challenge you to find anything in the bill that has changed the lopsided treatment biased to certain forms of tobacco. The industry analysts in the IPCPR dismissed the FDA bill as having no relevance to cigars or pipe tobacco and they said so on their legislative page. The industry lobbyists in Washington were quiet too.

What do we conclude? The threat to PT and cigars is not yet apparent. It's fuzzy still. If you're a pessimist or just poorly informed then you can make yourself crazy with "what if" questions. Yup, there are a lot of whatif's but none are concrete. There's not only no explicit threat but for someone watching from outside the US it looks uncannily like US Federal politicians have always had a special affection for PT and cigars. Most of us envy pipe smokers in the US. The history here is pretty clear - the most rabidly anti-tobacco Congress in history is still unwilling to subject PT or cigars to the full weight of US tobacco control.

Certainly there is no threat to PT to warrant investment in a lifetime supply. Cigs? Oh yes go cellar cigs and flavoured cigs - they're doomed.
Last edited by Rusty on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 pm

Thank you, once again, for a wealth of information. You never fail to impress, Rusty. In relation to our (non)argument, I think you summed up your thoughts when you said...
Rusty wrote:My point is just that trying to build a lifetime supply when one is older (less lifetime remaining) is actually achievable in some cases. It's much harder for the younger smoker and there are better places for his money.
That is close to 7formy's thought on the topic, and I am in full agreement as well. It is most likely too-large an endeavor, in time and resources, as well as a potential waste of tobacco(?) to try and save 50, 60, 70 years worth of tobacco. Of course it's easier and more feasible for a middle to late aged person to save a 20 year supply. I don't think we were ever in disagreement there.

My only reason for even commenting, was that I don't think it a lost cause for the young-uns here on CPS to start saving. The experience they'll gain and good aged baccy they'll get to enjoy down the road are good enough reasons to not dissuade them. As long as they stay smart in relation to their usage and income, they could also enjoy the same benefits you do.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:38 pm

yea, I was kinda kidding, I'm not going to start stowing away five gallon buckets of tobacco or anything, but I do have about a dozen tins stashed away and some jars, so that when I am in my 30's 40's I'll have some well aged tins of blends that I enjoyed during college, I like that prospect, but that's about all, I'm not stashing away for the tobacco holocaust or anything... although time will tell if it may prove necessary for some. I'm not really worried about it too much. I tend to agree with Rusty in all seriousness, at my age a small cellar is sufficient, a large one unnecessary esp. since I need that money elsewhere. :wink: Although I would be annoyed if I hit 45 and tobacco is either no longer available or unaffordable.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:30 pm

So to bring this thread back to it's original content, my top five as of late: (changes constantly)

1 MC Honeydew
2 GP Maltese Falcon
3 GP U***n-Square
4 GP Blackpoint
5 DH My Mixture 965
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 pm

McC Frog Morton
GLP Blackpoint
GLP Maltese Falcon
McC Honeydew
McC Royal Cajun Ebony

I'm really enjoying all five of these as of late, more so than I would normally enjoy any five given blends that I may be smoking.

BrianinFL
Congregation
Congregation

Post by BrianinFL » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 pm

In no particular order of preference:

SG's 1792 Flake
PS's Luxury Bullseye
C & D's Purple Cow
C & D's Bayou Night
My personal blend based on Edward's Special Balkan
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

SpeedOfLig

Post by SpeedOfLig » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Alabamajama wrote:1-Q, captan black royal,captan black white,borkum riff whisky and atlantis wild cherry.
i still like the Q-1 but i got tired of the wild cherry so i now want to change it to rlp-6

Walkman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Walkman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Walkman wrote:Orlik Golden Sliced
SG Best Brown Flake
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe
PS Balkan Supreme
Prince Albert
Unchanged.
“The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs; So should a praying heart of yours, With ardent cries, Surmount the skies. Thus think, and smoke tobacco.” Ralph Erskine

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Alabamajama wrote:
Alabamajama wrote:1-Q, captan black royal,captan black white,borkum riff whisky and atlantis wild cherry.
i still like the Q-1 but i got tired of the wild cherry so i now want to change it to rlp-6
just a side note, Lane 1Q and Captain Black Royal are the exact same thing, just distributed differently.

CharisPiper
Congregation
Congregation

Post by CharisPiper » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi everyone! Couldn't resist making this my first post:

Ashton Artisan's Blend

S & G Squadron Leader

S & G Full Virginia Flake

Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium

Anniversary Kake

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Tough question. I might answer differently a month from now, but...

Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Stokebye Bullseye
Ashton Brindle Flake
Ten year old Escudo
McCranie's 1983 Red Flake

I can think of others that could have made the list.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:29 am

In the last few months mine has changed:

Prince Albert
Margate
Epiphany
Walnut
Brown Rope #4
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

SFC
Usher
Usher

Post by SFC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:12 pm

Yellow Star Blend (Rum-Vanilla)
Lane Ltd 1Q
MB Mature Virginia
Briar Fox
DSK

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:15 pm

My current top 5 are as follows, and in order.

Artisan’s Blend
(My favorite so far)

Squadron Leader
(A really good smoke)

London Mixture
(Too bad it isnt made any longer)

Dark Birds Eye
(Just discovered)

Westminster
(Even though I dont really like GL Pease blends)
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

chazman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by chazman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm

my faves (so far) in no particular order:
solani white and black
1792 flake
macbaren origional choice
ruins of isengard
pueblo organic tobacco
"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27:17 (King James Version)

ATexanLostinVirginia
i will pee on you
i will pee on you

Post by ATexanLostinVirginia » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 pm

CharisPiper wrote:Hi everyone! Couldn't resist making this my first post:

Ashton Artisan's Blend

S & G Squadron Leader

S & G Full Virginia Flake

Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium

Anniversary Kake
Glad he felt like he could stick around...
+1836+

"On land, on sea, at home abroad
I smoke my pipe and worship God."
-Johann Sebastian Bach

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1024

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm

As of late my favorites have shifted, there are all time favorites that I'm not currently smoking and then current favorites that are in the rotation.

All time faves include:
GLP Blackpoint
McC Katerini Classic
GLP Piccadilly
DHL Elizabethan Mixture
McC Honeydew

Current Fav's:
SG FVF
McB Dark Twist
GLP U***n-Square (surprisingly after it dried out)
GLP Stratford
McC Christmas Cheer 06

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Right now it is

Full Virginia Flake
Blackpoint
Kendal Flake
Marlin Flake
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Here are the unofficial leaders (top 10 and ties):

SG Squadron Leader 11
GLP Westminster 10
Prince Albert 10
SG Full Virginia Flake 10
Dunhill’s EMP 8
Mc FMOTT 8
Escudo 7
GLP Haddo’s Delight 7
Penzance 7
Dunhill 965 5
Mc Blackwoods Flake 5
Mc Frog Morton 5
Orlik Golden Sliced 5
PS Balkan Supreme 5
SG 1792 Flake 5

I say unofficial because I about went blind trying to count and weed out folks voting multiple times.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Dewey
Weedy wed Dewy Ye
Weedy wed Dewy Ye

Post by Dewey » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:Here are the unofficial leaders (top 10 and ties):

SG Squadron Leader 11
GLP Westminster 10
Prince Albert 10
SG Full Virginia Flake 10
Dunhill’s EMP 8
Mc FMOTT 8
Escudo 7
GLP Haddo’s Delight 7
Penzance 7
Dunhill 965 5
Mc Blackwoods Flake 5
Mc Frog Morton 5
Orlik Golden Sliced 5
PS Balkan Supreme 5
SG 1792 Flake 5

I say unofficial because I about went blind trying to count and weed out folks voting multiple times.
Wow. I have only tried 3 on that list.
Love Dewey.