Matchbox VS Hot wheels

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.

Matchbox VS Hot Wheels

Matchbox
29%
Hot Wheels
71%

Total votes: 28

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:40 am

That won't spare yer. Hold me coat a minute.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

james-owen
Minister of Whippersnappery

Post by james-owen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 am

huddsbaggie wrote:That won't spare yer. Hold me coat a minute.
I understood that bit.
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:43 am

Good lad. But wait yer turn.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm

huddsbaggie wrote:I have shoed bigger blerts than you, Lushious and will spark any bugger on here who steps out of line. Tellin yis. Badly. Wear a carnation so I know who to banjo and form an orderly line. If you want to be spared, bring a note from yer mom.
That was almost like poetry.

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 pm

The difference between poetry and prose?

A healthy young Scot from Greenock
Waded into the sea way up to his knees.

That was prose. Another few yards of wading and it would be poetry.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

james-owen

Post by james-owen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:08 pm

huddsbaggie wrote:The difference between poetry and prose?

Classy.
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb   http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1571

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

james-owen wrote:
huddsbaggie wrote:The difference between poetry and prose?

Classy.
That's the way they teach it at Oxbridge.

I went to Wolvo.....
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by tuttle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 pm

My favorite is Hot Wheels.

And huddsbaggie.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 pm

I call them all "Matchbox".

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re:

Post by hugodrax » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 am
hogleg wrote:
huddsbaggie wrote:Consider yourself absolved from youthful idiocy on this occasion, Thoth.

That Hoglad's one bad bell.
Appears it is you who is the child.
I now pronounce you two man and wife. Hud and Hudd.
This quote won CPS.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Matchbox VS Hot wheels

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 pm

hogleg wrote:
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:Hot Wheels had the best tracks hands down, and while I can't speak to earlier years, in the 90's Hot Wheels were much better quality and cooler looking cars. Matchbox frequently had plastic bottoms and they didn't roll as far, where Hot Wheels were all metal save windshields or decorative extra pieces. I loved my hot wheels! It was a special day when my mom would say, okay, you can pick three. Ahh the simple pleasures of being a kid! :)
Matchbox didn't even have track until after Hot Wheels came out (15 years after Matchbox was intro'd). Matchbox wasn't about racing.
Probably why I mostly had Hot wheels... I do remember having a matchbox of an ice cream truck and a plain old 90's thunderbird though...

I actually still have about 30 or so of my old cars actually, I should pull 'em out. Who knows maybe I'll have a son in like 7 months...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Re: Matchbox VS Hot wheels

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Warning.: Geeze Alert.

Around 1973 my family of 4 lived in this rental house that had been converted from a chicken coup. No shower. A single community wash tub. Jerusalem Beatles were often seen. Bees enjoyed living in the eaves. W shared a drive way with a Cabinets Company in th back. I pointed out to my brother, 4 yrs my senior, that the wording on the mail box for the business read, "J.P. Canibets" instead of "J.P. Cabinets." It took him a little bit to see it. That's when I knew I was a lot smarter than he was. And I used that to my advantage for all the school years to follow.

This rental chicken coup was awesome. I loved that place. I know it was a poop hole by most adult standards but as a 10 year old kid? Fahgetaboiutit.

My brother had a dif bio-pops than I. And bio-pops was in the regular every 3rd weekend and this and that holidays summer off school thing for visitation that was common for the time.

My brother had Hot Wheel heaven. The Saturday afternoons dedicated to building and running that orange track all over Chichen coop from his room on out with us picking our single car for The Final Race after it was built, and then added to or changed due to engineering flaws not commonly know to even smart 10 years olds and their idiot 14 year old brothers.

I had a lot of matchboxes. But Hot Wheels was the money, in my memory.

ps. Same house in 1974. My brother leaned into the door jamb of his bedroom door that lead into the kitchen and his thumb pierced the paint that had been hollowed out by termites. We put some packing tape over the hole. The next day the hole seen through the tape was black from the inside. Come to find out termites user their own poop to plug light holes that appear from time to time in their work and God given purpose on the planet.

We moved in late spring 1975.

I miss that place. It was awesome.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Warning.: Geeze Alert.

Around 1973 my family of 4 lived in this rental house that had been converted from a chicken coup. No shower. A single community wash tub. Jerusalem Beatles were often seen. Bees enjoyed living in the eaves. W shared a drive way with a Cabinets Company in th back. I pointed out to my brother, 4 yrs my senior, that the wording on the mail box for the business read, "J.P. Canibets" instead of "J.P. Cabinets." It took him a little bit to see it. That's when I knew I was a lot smarter than he was. And I used that to my advantage for all the school years to follow.

This rental chicken coup was awesome. I loved that place. I know it was a poop hole by most adult standards but as a 10 year old kid? Fahgetaboiutit.

My brother had a dif bio-pops than I. And bio-pops was in the regular every 3rd weekend and this and that holidays summer off school thing for visitation that was common for the time.

My brother had Hot Wheel heaven. The Saturday afternoons dedicated to building and running that orange track all over Chichen coop from his room on out with us picking our single car for The Final Race after it was built, and then added to or changed due to engineering flaws not commonly know to even smart 10 years olds and their idiot 14 year old brothers.

ps. Same house in 1974. My brother leaned into the door jamb of his bedroom door that lead into the kitchen and his thumb pierced the paint that had been hollowed out by termites. We put some packing tape over the hole. The next day the hole seen through the tape was black from the inside. Come to find out termites user their own poop to plug light holes that appear from time to time in their work and God given purpose on the planet.

Cool story

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Warning.: Geeze Alert.

Cool story

Outstanding, DL. Thanks.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 pm

DL, I think you and my dad would have a good time swapping childhood stories, he grew up in a trailer with 7 kids and then they moved to a house with no running water and an outhouse. He tells some crazy tales about picking tobacco at my great grandparent’s farm over the summer as a kid, and how my grandfather was a moonshine runner before WWII and all the shenanigans they used to get into.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 pm

In 1968 my family had been living at 1708 N Concord Santa Maria, CA since before I was born. Our across the street neighbors were The Herds. Husband. Wife. 3 boys in the 4 - 10 yo range, same as my brother and I.

One day, my brother and I were sitting on the front stoop and we heard Helen Herd completely lose it. Quiet street, but still hearing her going completely bat poo was alarming and intriguing all the same. We sat affixed at the Herd House as it was the silver screen come to life.

Helen Herd, the mom, was a moo-moo wearing large lady. In the 1960's moo-moos looked a lot like Hawaiian shirt or formal curtains. On this day she wore orange with some sort of lighter pattern mixed in. But, I am getting ahead of myself. I cannot recall distinct words, only a sense that all hades was breaking out over there. The only Herd kids name I remember is Bobby. He was my older brothers age, but he was slow. So me at 5 or 6 thought he was cool enough.

About 3 seconds after the audible Bat-s*** Bomb, I saw Bobby roll out of his bedroom window in his pj's. His room faced the street. I remember my eyes widening and nothing else existed in the world other than the poop I was witnessing right then and there.

The orange in Helen's moo-moo was more rust and far less orange that is the unmistakable hot wheel track orange we all know and love. I then saw her massive girth rip open the front door, closest to Bobby. Who was now scrambling to his feet while looking extremely terrified. In the peripheral I recall the other brothers were beating feet to the back yard.

Helen was yelling. I have no idea what she yelled. She was just yelling. Then Bobby said something, I dont know what but, she heard him.

I was like watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

So, Helen starts in his direction. We're talking girthy mom in a moo-moo holding a hot wheel track in her hand like a sword, or belt more likely, stepping into the grass of the front yard. Bobby jumped up, did a 180 and beat feet to the back yard from his side of the house.

Helen yells a little more and then makes her way into the house and slams the front door. Hard.

Then it was silent. I remember thinking how eerie that was. Then after a short while my brother gave me the, let's go nudge and look. Soon as the front door closed we both just started laughing our asses off.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 am

We need a new thread titled “Childhood Stories”

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:01 pm
We're talking girthy mom in a moo-moo holding a hot wheel track in her hand like a sword, or belt more likely...
It's "muumuu" and if you want to sound like a cultural appropriationist it's pronounced "moo oo moo oo" :cheese:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:29 am

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 am
Found: A 5,000-Year-Old Toy Chariot

Did they find the dad's petrified corpse at the bottom of the stairs?

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima