What does a pipe smoker look like?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

What does a pipe smoker look like?

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:10 pm

Chip and I met up with some fellow CPS members last Sunday for dinner. We arrived before them, and as we waited we pondered how we'd know them when they came in since we'd never met them. A group of 4 guys were led to their seat and they looked like they could be pipe smokers. Two of them had beards, one guy was very gruff looking, and the other was somewhat dignified. They turned out not being our dinner partners, but it did spark up the conversation.

To people that don't smoke a pipe, there must be a stigma about those that do; it's human nature to stereotype people. Things like bikers have long beards and tattoos, pastors wear suits and backwards collars, college kids have constant bed-head and smell of beer. Even though those might be accurate descriptions of some people in those clans, we all know they don't describe every individual who partakes of those things.

So my question is, before you smoked a pipe, what was your image of a pipe smoker? And how do you feel about those thoughts now? Are any of them accurate in relation to you or your pipe smoking friends?

GScott
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:23 pm

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 pm

:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Gregor
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Gregor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm thinking on your question, but had to ask, since I was one of them coming to meet you. Did any of us fit your mental picture? There, put you on the spot.

PhilioG
A Mïnïstër
A Mïnïstër

Post by PhilioG » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 pm

My initial image, back to when I didn't smoke a pipe, of a pipe smoker, was usually an older gentleman, could have facial hair but not a must, with a mere look of wisdom in their eyes. Not necessarily educated wisdom, but that they had the ability to know the right thing to say at the correct moment.

After having been a smoker for going on just a year now, that image is just blown completely out of my mind. Every walk of life and culture has men, (and women), that smoke pipes. I would have never pictured a women with a pipe. However, I have seen quite a few now that I have settled into the pipe smoking world. Not in person mind you, but picures of them.

My my friends that smoke pipes are no different than myself. Ordinary everyday guys that just love to sit and enjoy a bowlful.

Pipes, smoking pipes
What kind of people like smoking pipes?
Big people, little people, people who climb on rocks,
Fat people, skinny people, even people with chicken pox
Love pipes, smoking pipes,
It's pipes we love to smoke.
"God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny."
Garrison Keillor

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:41 pm

mountainman wrote:Image
Yer nose is brown!
From Thunktank Sig: Hail! John Boy, the chief moderator and title changer. :pipe3:

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:53 pm

well md, i was gonna use your pic, but i thought "nahhhh too ugly"
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:56 pm

mountainman wrote:well md, i was gonna use your pic, but i thought "nahhhh too ugly"
Funny, thought that was why you didn't use your own!
From Thunktank Sig: Hail! John Boy, the chief moderator and title changer. :pipe3:

kendrck
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ

Post by kendrck » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 pm

MDPiper wrote:
mountainman wrote:well md, i was gonna use your pic, but i thought "nahhhh too ugly"
Funny, thought that was why you didn't use your own!
he didn't use his own because it doesn't have enough butt in it ... that and he's a big fan of highland clutter

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:02 pm

I knew this topic was gonna get ugly. :)

Gregor, if you'd asked me that question 4 or 5 years ago, the answer would have been no. I agree with PhilioG that the image most have is an old guy with nothing better to do than sit in his rocking chair and smoke his pipe. In fact, I was certain I was the only young guy smoking a pipe. I was obviuosly wrong. But the stereotypical impression is still out there. So when you walked in I thought, why not? I now know pipe smokers come in all forms and from all walks of life.

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:04 pm

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://w ... rfc7K5wmM=

Like my dad when I saw him as a kid. Distiguished, refined.
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. - Calvin

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Perhaps I should bring up that--no, nevermind. I really should stay out of this one.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Gregor
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Gregor » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:I knew this topic was gonna get ugly. :)

Gregor, if you'd asked me that question 4 or 5 years ago, the answer would have been no. I agree with PhilioG that the image most have is an old guy with nothing better to do than sit in his rocking chair and smoke his pipe. In fact, I was certain I was the only young guy smoking a pipe. I was obviuosly wrong. But the stereotypical impression is still out there. So when you walked in I thought, why not? I now know pipe smokers come in all forms and from all walks of life.
And what political office are you running for. Just kidding, I know how I look and at least you didn't run screaming from the restaurant, with the two I walked in with! (I wonder why people always ask, "are you guys friends"?)

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Oh c'mon AMJ! SHARE your feelings! Enlighten us!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:02 pm

No, as it would appear that two others have weighed in for me already, for some reason.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

StevoMcK
Congregation
Congregation

Post by StevoMcK » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:19 pm

And what political office are you running for. Just kidding, I know how I look and at least you didn't run screaming from the restaurant, with the two I walked in with! (I wonder why people always ask, "are you guys friends"?)[/quote]

I resemble that remark! Just cause I'm the only one with no facial hair!? BriarTuck is really going to take issue with this.
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. - Calvin

adauria
Don't Need No Fancy Title
Don't Need No Fancy Title

Post by adauria » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:13 pm

<---------------------- Not this.

But, yeah, never thought a pipe smoker could be under 50... 45 the youngest. Distingued, pensive... probably a professor, certainly English. Maybe this is from some photo I'd seen of C. S. Lewis.

-Andrew

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:45 pm

Alright, I'll put forward my thoughts.

I am often accused of being the stereotypical pipe smoker. I think that this is stupid and does a disservice to the very notion of pipe smoking, as does this entire thread, which is pointless and self-congratulatory in that it seems to be only an opportunity for persons to brag about either how much the defy a stereotype or how much of a stereotype the fulfil. This is dumb. You might as well start a thread entitled "What does a Christian Look Like?" See how far you get with that one, I dare you.

The wonder of pipe smoking is that anybody, anybody with the time and inclination can take it up and enjoy themselves thoroughly. I know this because I worked in a tobacco shoppe for a number of years and I am more observant than most people. A few of my better customers were bearded men in conservative clothes, yes, but the same would have been true if I worked in a Deli, I imagine. One of my most regular patrons seemed to smoke a pipe even more often than did I. He was a dumpy guy who always had on shorts and dirty sneakers. Ho bought Vanilla Cavendish in five pound increments and I never once say him without a pipe in his mouth. Another regular was a Mexican construction worker of about twenty-five. He favoured corncobs and Captain Black Gold.

My own grandfather, the man who raised me and the first person I ever knew to smoke a pipe wore cowboy shirts and ballcaps with humorous slogans on them. He never grew a beard and only had a high school diploma. To me, though, he always looked like a pipe smoker--and this is because he smoked a freekin' pipe!

To insinuate that there is a kind of look or an attitude that goes along with pipe smoking does a great pastime a petty disservice. Ours is a hobby that is already relegated to cliquishness and foppery by the majority of America. Start talking about the "right" sort of appearance and mannerisms and you make it seem all the more freakish. Think back to better times when pipes were not seen in such a light. These were times when there was no stereotypical pipe smoker. Street cleaners, teachers, longshoremen, the President of the United States, all that they had to do to fit the image was to smoke a pipe. I know that the only way the pipe will endure is to liberate it from the constraints of the professorial and give it back to the people.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Beatifully put, Alastair. And there, I believe, endeth the thread.

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:37 pm

I'd rather the thread ended here.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."