What does a pipe smoker look like?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
freebird
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by freebird » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Thar be pipesmokers:

Col F.W. Benteen 7th Cav.

I like my pipes bent and my razors straight.
.... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- --..-- / -. --- - / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. --- .-. / --- .-.. -.. / -- . -. / .- -. -.. / ..-. .-. . --.- ...

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:23 am

Your point was well written Morley, if not a bit self-congratulatory in and of itself. I wonder though, at your obvious anger and rudeness at the idea of this post.

My original comment and question had to do with what our pre-pipesmoker impressions were of pipesmokers, and do you feel about those thoughts now. Sure, that could be an invitiation for bragging about our better-than-others mentality, but it was also an honest attempt at a conversation starter. The idea of a forum is for people to talk and share opinions. Even if those opinions aren't the same as your's, they have a
right to share them.

The thing I find humorous is that were only 2 or 3 [out of 20] people who actually answered the questions I asked. Some people looked at the subject and answered only that question using pictures and didn't bother to read the post. The rest just bantered around in typical junior-high antics. [The latter making me wonder if my attempt at having an adult conversation in a forum of adults was a bit too much to ask.] And then there was the holier-than-thou comment by yourself Morley. You made fine points, thank you for contributing. Your knowledge and wisdom have astounded all. [Sarcasm intended!] Next time you don't feel like being bothered to comment on a post you find beneath you, follow your gut and save us the agony of your angst.

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 am

To match rudeness with rudeness seems unwise, ID.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:20 am

Then my point was made.

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 am

I don't think you get my meaning. Ahwell.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:53 am

If your meaning was that I was being just as selfish and rude as what I what complaining about, then yes I get it. And if that makes me look foolish, or rather 'unwise', then yes I get it. Or if your point is that A_Morley is a much stronger literary opponent that I shouldn't be going up against, then yes I get it.

Or was there something else?

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:13 am

Irish-Dane wrote:If your meaning was that I was being just as selfish and rude as what I what complaining about, then yes I get it. And if that makes me look foolish, or rather 'unwise', then yes I get it. Or if your point is that A_Morley is a much stronger literary opponent that I shouldn't be going up against, then yes I get it.

Or was there something else?
I hesitate to reply, but lest you think I'm ripping you up here... All I meant was that your initial reply seemed slightly on the rude side; which, given it was a protestation against such behavior, seemed counter-productive.

Nothing more nor less should be insinuated.

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:22 am

dennisthemenace wrote:Oh c'mon AMJ! SHARE your feelings! Enlighten us!
I thinks Dennisthemenace is to blame!
From Thunktank Sig: Hail! John Boy, the chief moderator and title changer. :pipe3:

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 am

Along some of the topics discussed in your Matthew 18 thread, it's very hard to extend tone and inflection when typing words. I was fully aware of my counter-productive comments, and they were intended. I find it interesting when people are so wrapped up in themselves that they can't see the 'pot vs. kettle' in the words they're writing. So at my own expense, I was poking some fun. Whether certain people get it or not is irrelevant. It just needed done. I take no offense at you or your comments on the situation. 8)

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: What does a pipe smoker look like?

Post by John-Boy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 am

Irish-Dane wrote:before you smoked a pipe, what was your image of a pipe smoker?
Don't think I thought about pipe smoker as a kind of person - other than being a grown up.
Irish-Dane wrote:And how do you feel about those thoughts now?
I think I'm still right. :D
Irish-Dane wrote:Are any of them accurate in relation to you or your pipe smoking friends?
Uh... maybe I'm not so right...
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 am

MDPiper wrote:
Agreed. The menace strikes again.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

gospeldj
Pastor
Pastor

Post by gospeldj » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:50 pm

My pre-pipesmoking thoughts on the typical pipesmoker?

Maybe a well dressed gent (not foppish by any means), contemplative, given to sincere consideration of others' opinions, and slow to anger. Cleanshaven or no, careful in his appearance.

This was a picture of my great-grandfather, the first person I ever saw smoke a pipe. Since then, of course, I've come to see that pipesters come in all varieties. And that's a good thing.

Mike
I'm not coming down out of this tree until you say you'll play football for the Methodists.

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:20 pm

John-Boy wrote:
MDPiper wrote:
Agreed. The menace strikes again.
Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

"I'm a baaaaad boy!" - the late great Lou Costello
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:07 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:The rest just bantered around in typical junior-high antics. [The latter making me wonder if my attempt at having an adult conversation in a forum of adults was a bit too much to ask.]
As though this were not a shabby enough trick to play in that it castigates the behavior of not a single individual but of the entire forum; whenever such a sentiment a this:
Irish-Dane wrote:Your knowledge and wisdom have astounded all. [Sarcasm intended!] Next time you don't feel like being bothered to comment on a post you find beneath you, follow your gut and save us the agony of your angst.
Is thought to trump a stated fact such as this:
Irish-Dane wrote:Your point was well written Morley
Then I begin to believe that perhaps my time and efforts are better spent elsewhere and at other endeavors.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:54 pm

"Then I begin to believe that perhaps my time and efforts are better spent elsewhere and at other endeavors."

Well that's true enough for all of us. My wife castigates me for spending so much time on this and other forums. But heck AMJ, ain't it fun?
Also the forum wasn't nearly as enjoyable during your hiatus.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:57 pm

I'll second that.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:21 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:Also the forum wasn't nearly as enjoyable during your hiatus.
Oh that it were so, Dennis. For you see, such is not in fact the case or, at least such soon will not be the case, for you see, I am but a malign presence in this place and my contributions, however well written, are in fact distasteful to the majority. This is indubitably demonstrated in the following:
Irish-Dane wrote:Next time you don't feel like being bothered to comment on a post you find beneath you, follow your gut and save us the agony of your angst.

There you have it. He speaks for you all, as I very much doubt that anybody would have the audacity to go so far as to presume that his own sentiments mirror exactly those of the greater group. Even if he did not receive this precept of my iniquity directly from any of you, it matters not. For you see, the good Mr. Id is a prophet in our midst and thus can plumb the depths of all of our inmost thoughts. Further demonstration comes in the fact that all thoughts and opinions of his as well as any threads started by him cannot be questioned or criticized, even by an experienced tobacconist and pipe smoker of nearly a decade in spite of his being, by his own admission, both inexperienced in the realm of pipe smoking as well as on this board in general. This condition of being above and beyond the constraints of human experience as bind the rest of we mere CPS members serves only to well to cement in the precept of even the most dim-witted that we truly have been here granted an oracle.

Please note: the above was accomplished without having to resort to the words 'sarcasm intended' appearing in brackets for some reason or employing the always mature and professional exclamation point.

In all seriousness and finality, I have, throughout my life, seen the original, the witty, the slightly off-beat, be passed over and give way to the conventional, the homogenized, and the 'nice' enough to know when the hand is writing on the wall. To see wit and eloquence forced to bow to a plebian understanding of good conduct and 'what's easiest for everybody' is something to which I am opposed four-square and this is a principle which I shall not remit, else I see Walker Texas Ranger replace the works of Shakespeare and a Starbuck's opened in Westminster Cathedral. I struggle to uphold this principle daily, and I believe that I do not labor in vain, but to have to continue that struggle in a place where I go to enjoy myself is intolerable. I would rather depart now and on this note, howsoever it may be seen by the rest of you, than to see a forum that I have devoted so much time and affection to become whitewashed and stripped of any of its true humor and humanity because a newcomer or two may find my comments, however well written, to be self-congratulatory and agony inducing. Such seems to be a representation of the new generation and, for once, this former Brother of the Briar will err on the side of judgment and bow out. It is a condition of this modern world, I know, that a banker thinks it prudent to chastise an actor and broadcaster on just what is acceptable for his audience, but that does not mean that I must accept it.

I am sorry that it had to end in this way, but perhaps I was just born in the wrongcentury.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 am

I find it interesting that you chastise my career while at the same time defending your position and opinions by esteeming your career. Did I ever use my career as a justification for my comments? Is one better than the other?

And I wonder why you feel slighted by comments aimed at you in a place you go to enjoy yourself, but you don't mind jabbing at me in the same manner. Do I not enjoy this place? Do I have to be a member of this forum for 3 or 4 years before I can call it a place I go to enjoy myself? Or further yet, do I have to hold my tongue until I get the proper title beside my name? Are honest opinions reserved only for those with many posts to their credit?

I am amazed at the lengths you went to find out all you could about me to use it against me, even if only used private jokes. Why do you repeatedly attack/demean me instead of just addressing the original issue? Before this little rambling between us, I thought of you quite highly. You seemed knowledgeable and experienced. And I know I'm not alone in those thoughts. And for those reasons I have to wonder why some two-fold inexperienced newcomer can rattle the feathers of an experienced tobacconist and pipe smoker of nearly a decade? And an eloquent linguist on top of that? What is it about me that makes you threaten to turn tail and run? Are you just not as good at taking it as you are at giving it?

I think I need to be the bigger man here and apologize. I apologize for not being quick enough on the draw to get your weird sense of humor. I have no desire to whitewash and strip this place of humor or any humanity. Despite not feeling that my comments, which mirrored your very tone, were either of those things, I will attempt to try to figure you out. When you use words like dare and stupid to describe and respond to my posts, I'll try to weed through the subtext and not take offense. Hopefully this won't make you leave. No one wants to see that.

ScoJo
Prodigal Thong-Boy
Prodigal Thong-Boy

Post by ScoJo » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:34 am

Months away from CPS and I come back to threads like this?

<redacted_emoji>

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:41 am

O wouldst that Alastair had a skin half so thick as the cake within his burley-hallowed billiards! That his fraternal wit and beloved insight were not so fitfully imperil'd by the rash slings of impetuous youth!

Doth the vintner raze his grapes and bury his cellar merely because the thronging masses prefer a cold Pepsi? Fie! Doth the parson fly to exile at the first murmur of discontent? May it never be!

Serenity, man! Stay, and be not moved by every breath of wind. Stay, and instruct by stern charity and patient repose what mere retort cannot but inflame.