TEXAS in the News

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: TEXAS in the News

Post by JimVH » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am

There was an old redneck who lived in a boot...

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:20 am

JimVH wrote:
There was an old redneck who lived in a boot...
His wife was bow-legged, by no means a beaut....

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 pm

Texas governor pledges to sign anti-sanctuary bill
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says he expects the Legislature to pass an anti-sanctuary city bill this year, opening a new front in the battle over “local control.”

Weighing in on the intensifying national immigration debate, the Republican governor pledged to sign Senate Bill 4, which would require municipalities to enforce migrant detainers at local jails and withhold state grants if they don’t comply.
Irony. TEE-haus gubbmint is always attacking the Federal Gubbmint for doing just this. Plus, the local State reps are always going on about "Telling Austin to mind it's own business and leave West Texas to West Texan know how".
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 am

Hunters fight so-called 'feral hog apocalypse' in Texas
Texas has a feral hog problem.

The state's agriculture commissioner said Tuesday that he has a solution: a human blood-thinner that proves especially deadly in swine.

Sid Miller, the commissioner, said there is only a “minimal” threat to other animals. Hunters will be able to see that the substance was consumed because the fat will be bright blue, MyStatesman.com reported.

“They’re so prolific, you can’t hardly keep them in check,” Miller told the paper. “This is going to be the hog apocalypse, if you like: If you want them gone, this will get them gone.”

The paper reported that the pesticide used is called “Kaput Feral Hog Lure,” which will be bait laced with warfarin—the human blood thinner.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:07 pm

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Excerpt from article wrote:"The record indicates not just a hostility toward Democrat districts, but a hostility to minority districts, and a willingness to use race for partisan advantage," U.S. District Judges Xavier Rodriguez and Orlando Garcia wrote in their opinion.
You think?
A party's use of gerrymandering should exceed their ability to win elections otherwise or what's control of a state house for?
(with apologies to Robert Browning)
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

G00se22
Congregation
Congregation

Post by G00se22 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Take me to bed or loose me forever!

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:10 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lame stunt by a pro-abort drawing false equivalencies to "spark discussion". Nothing new to see here. Let's call this one a "gimme" and let Del save his breath.
infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Bah, patents. Don't get me started.
infi-

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm

infidel wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm
It is odd, though, that Texas would host this kind of activity. Seems more like Oregon behavior.

:chili:

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:14 pm
infidel wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm
It is odd, though, that Texas would host this kind of activity. Seems more like Oregon behavior.

:chili:
Now THAT was an interesting article. To see venue relitigated would torture a whole new generation of law students.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 am

+JMJ+

Texas House approves Abbott-backed call for convention of states
State Rep. Rick Miller, R-Sugar Land, holds a copy of the U.S. Constitution while on the floor of the Texas House on May 4, 2017.(Bob Daemmrich for The Texas Tribune)

The Texas House on Thursday adopted a resolution calling for a convention of states to amend the U.S. Constitution — one of Gov. Greg Abbott’s four emergency items this legislative session.

Senate Joint Resolution 2, one of three pieces of legislation relating to the topic approved by the Senate in February, proposes amendments that would enact term limits for U.S. officials, impose spending limits on the federal government and limit its power. The resolution was approved on a party line vote, 94-51, with two House Republicans, state Reps. Geanie Morrison, R-Victoria, and Ron Simmons, R-Carrollton, voting against.

“This should not be a partisan issue,” said state Rep. Rick Miller, R-Sugar Land, who carried the proposal in the House. “Even with administration changes this past year, we still believe the federal government is out of control, and we’re standing up for states’ rights.”

The debate on SJR 2 was relatively mild, but the harshest opposition to the proposal came from state Rep. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, who said it was ironic House Republicans were discussing federal overreach after they passed a “sanctuary” bill last week that would allow local law enforcement to question a detained person’s immigration status.

“We’re talking about your so-called federal overreach, and yet your own party suggested last week to all of us that we want to have more of the federal government in our backyard,” Gutierrez told Miller. “Ronald Reagan is long gone and dead in the Republican Party, and he’d be rolling in his grave.”

A national convention could only happen if 34 states sign onto the idea. Texas would be the 11th to call for one, and if the state adopted SJR 2, Miller said another 10-12 states would follow, potentially bringing the tally to 23 states. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Fri May 05, 2017 12:14 pm

infi-

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

Post by wosbald » Sat May 13, 2017 6:23 am

+JMJ+

Texas bishops say ‘anti-sanctuary’ move will erode immigrants’ trust of police
Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, who is president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, opens Texas Advocacy Day with prayer at the Texas Capitol in Austin on April 4. (Credit: James Ramos/Texas Catholic Herald.)

AUSTIN, Texas - The Catholic bishops of Texas said the state’s move to prohibit cities and other jurisdictions from providing sanctuary to immigrants facing deportation “does not help peace officers build trust with the migrant community.”

On May 7, Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed into law the “anti-sanctuary” measure passed by the Texas Legislature.

In a May 5 statement, the Texas Catholic Conference of Bishops had urged Abbott to veto the bill, known as S.B. 4, saying they were disappointed lawmakers had voted for the bill and said it went beyond the governor’s goal “to ensure local sheriffs and police did not undermine the immigration laws enforced by the federal government.”

“The bill exceeds this goal, because it also allows local peace officers to inquire into the legal status of people who are detained, rather than just those who are arrested,” the bishops said. “With such a law, people who have done nothing to merit arrest or citation can be asked for their legal status. The bill will decrease trust from our immigrant community in our law enforcement officers.”

The new law bans cities and other jurisdictions from providing sanctuary to immigrants in the country without legal permission if they are facing deportation. It says police chiefs and county sheriffs who refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities would face jail time.

It also allows police officers to ask people they detain, including for a routine traffic stop, about their immigration status. …

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima