TEXAS in the News

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: TEXAS in the News

Post by Cleon » Mon May 16, 2016 12:05 pm

Texas pastor who accused Whole Foods of gay slur on cake drops suit, apologizes
“I want to apologize to Whole Foods and its team members for questioning the company’s commitment to its values, and especially the baker associate who I understand was put in a terrible position because of my actions,” Brown said in a statement.

“I apologize to the LGBT community for diverting attention from real issues. I also want to apologize to my partner, my family, my church family, and my attorney.”
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon May 16, 2016 2:04 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 19, 2016 2:42 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm glad that didn't turn into an attack piece on the Oxford comma.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Cleon wrote:
LOL!

You know, JimVH will most likely say that it was written by some Okie.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri May 20, 2016 1:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:
LOL!

Okie, this whole deal is pretty funny.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 20, 2016 1:27 pm

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Cleon wrote:
LOL!

Okie, this whole deal is pretty funny.
I see what you did there.

Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Sid.Stavros » Sun May 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Armed and Vigilant: In Fear of a Muslim Uprising in Texas

https://youtu.be/4c7AWS4Bc-M

:wink:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:36 am

Arabic weather term ‘haboob’ is apparently troubling for some Texans
A wall of dust raced toward Lubbock, Tex., on Sunday, and the National Weather Service threw out a word of caution on its Facebook page. “A haboob is rapidly approaching the Lubbock airport and may affect the city as well,” the meteorologists wrote.

The use of the meteorological term “haboob,” a word with Arabic roots, didn’t sit well with some residents.

Reader John Fullbright wrote:

Haboob!?! I’m a Texan. Not a foreigner from Iraq or Afghanistan. They might have haboobs but around here in the Panhandle of TEXAS, we have Dust Storms. So would you mind stating it that way. I’ll find another weather service

Brenda Daffern added:

In Texas, nimrod, this is called a sandstorm. We’ve had them for years! If you would like to move to the Middle East you can call this a haboob. While you reside here, call it a sandstorm. We Texans will appreciate you.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am

UncleBob wrote:Arabic weather term ‘haboob’ is apparently troubling for some Texans
A wall of dust raced toward Lubbock, Tex., on Sunday, and the National Weather Service threw out a word of caution on its Facebook page. “A haboob is rapidly approaching the Lubbock airport and may affect the city as well,” the meteorologists wrote.

The use of the meteorological term “haboob,” a word with Arabic roots, didn’t sit well with some residents.

Haboob!?! I’m a Texan. Not a foreigner from Iraq or Afghanistan. They might have haboobs but around here in the Panhandle of TEXAS, we have Dust Storms. So would you mind stating it that way. I’ll find another weather service

Brenda Daffern added:

In Texas, nimrod, this is called a sandstorm. We’ve had them for years! If you would like to move to the Middle East you can call this a haboob. While you reside here, call it a sandstorm. We Texans will appreciate you.
We do pick some odd things to get our panties in a bunch about. Haboob makes me grin because my mind automatically adds 'ies' when I hear it.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 am

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Arabic weather term ‘haboob’ is apparently troubling for some Texans

Brenda Daffern added:

We do pick some odd things to get our panties in a bunch about. Haboob makes me grin because my mind automatically adds 'ies' when I hear it.
That haboob was cool when it hit Sunday. The temperature dropped 25 degrees in 5 minutes. Also, I saw what appeared to be a tumbleweed sailing along at well over 100 ft (hard to gauge but that's my guesstimate) moving perpendicular (SW) to the lower clouds trajectory (SE).

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:51 pm

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:12 pm

JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Ah, hell. I've loved the word haboob for its sheer linguistic oddity. Now I'm going to start loving haboobies because it makes me giggle like a kid,
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:49 pm

hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Ah, hell. I've loved the word haboob for its sheer linguistic oddity. Now I'm going to start loving haboobies because it makes me giggle like a kid,
Hmm... do Texans also object to the words: Admiral, alfalfa, algebra, alkali, amber, arsenal, assassin, borax, almanac, tuna, zero, etc (and I can serve up a lot of others)? The stars above them, pretty much all, have arabic names - a fact of which Pres. GW Bush was ignorant.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Hmm... do Texans also object to the words: Admiral, alfalfa, algebra, alkali, amber, arsenal, assassin, borax, almanac, tuna, zero, etc (and I can serve up a lot of others)? The stars above them, pretty much all , have arabic names - a fact of which Pres. GW Bush was ignorant.
In general, Texans object to anything Yankee.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:01 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Hmm... do Texans also object to the words: Admiral, alfalfa, algebra, alkali, amber, arsenal, assassin, borax, almanac, tuna, zero, etc (and I can serve up a lot of others)? The stars above them, pretty much all , have arabic names - a fact of which Pres. GW Bush was ignorant.
Well Yankee isn't arabic. And Boston doesn't have haboobs, just snow. I think Texans have demonstrated that they have oil interests in common with arabs but not with Yankees.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Rusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Well Yankee isn't arabic. And Boston doesn't have haboobs, just snow. I think Texans have demonstrated that they have oil interests in common with arabs but not with Yankees.
Which, of course, are those from New England.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Rusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

You miss the point. It is stupid, really, but "..we called them sandstorms since we moved in and now some Yankee-educated weather guy is going to start callin' in a "haboob"? Why he might as well want "us" to talk about knickers and votin' fer Obama!"

See?

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Brenda Daffern added:

Which, of course, are those from New England.
I believe the line is a bit farther south.