Netflix Gold

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Netflix Gold

Post by John-Boy » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 pm

On Amazon Prime I watched "Galapagos: Realm of Giant Sharks" and "Turtle: The Incredible Journey".
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon May 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Watched "16 blocks" last nite during a bit of insomnia.

2006 film when Bruce Willis still had hair.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon May 30, 2016 10:35 pm

John-Boy wrote:On Amazon Prime I watched "Galapagos: Realm of Giant Sharks" and "Turtle: The Incredible Journey".
U got Amazon Fire?
I'm a prime member but haven't watched Amazon movies yet.

I listen to music on the prime mobile app sometimes tho.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 am

Jocose wrote:
John-Boy wrote:On Amazon Prime I watched "Galapagos: Realm of Giant Sharks" and "Turtle: The Incredible Journey".
U got Amazon Fire?
I'm a prime member but haven't watched Amazon movies yet.

I listen to music on the prime mobile app sometimes tho.
We don't have Amazon Fire... we just plug laptop into HDMI cable on the TV.

We got prime a couple years ago mostly for shipping. Listened to music a few times, don't really have good device for that. Head phone jack busted on phone. Pfft.
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:42 am

"High Sierra: A Journey On The John Muir Trail" - follows a group of teens through a couple week trip on the John Muir trail. Not bad. Pretty chill. The excepts of the ranger are great.

"Journey On The Wild Coast" - A married couple attempt to walk, paddle and ski under their own power from Seattle to the Aleutians along the wild and remote northwest coast of North America. Except for their obvious need to have a shot of each of them naked at one point in the journey... it was pretty good. I liked their attitude toward obstacles and being uncomfortable... at least on camera.

"Life In A Walk" - Yogi Roth never wanted to say, "I wish I'd spent more time with my dad." So he invited his father on a journey along the Camino De Santiago that would change both of their lives forever... pretty lame. Conversations seemed very forced. Would have liked to hear more about the trail.

"Mountains and Man: In the Shadow of Giants" - dunno... fell asleep as soon as it started.
Praying - coco

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:35 pm

John-Boy wrote:"High Sierra: A Journey On The John Muir Trail" - follows a group of teens through a couple week trip on the John Muir trail. Not bad. Pretty chill. The excepts of the ranger are great.

"Journey On The Wild Coast" - A married couple attempt to walk, paddle and ski under their own power from Seattle to the Aleutians along the wild and remote northwest coast of North America. Except for their obvious need to have a shot of each of them naked at one point in the journey... it was pretty good. I liked their attitude toward obstacles and being uncomfortable... at least on camera.

"Life In A Walk" - Yogi Roth never wanted to say, "I wish I'd spent more time with my dad." So he invited his father on a journey along the Camino De Santiago that would change both of their lives forever... pretty lame. Conversations seemed very forced. Would have liked to hear more about the trail.

"Mountains and Man: In the Shadow of Giants" - dunno... fell asleep as soon as it started.
Nice reviews man, u should start a movie review thread.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:37 pm

John-Boy wrote:"High Sierra: A Journey On The John Muir Trail" - follows a group of teens through a couple week trip on the John Muir trail. Not bad. Pretty chill. The excepts of the ranger are great.

Are these DVD only? or available streaming?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:36 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:

Streaming on Amazon Prime.
Praying - coco

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:40 pm

John-Boy wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:

Streaming on Amazon Prime.
well, I have that, but I still feel kind of "baited and switched."
I will watch soon.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Just finished "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young." (Netflix)

In its first 25 years only 10 people have finished The Barkley Marathons. Based on a historic prison escape, this cult like race tempts people from around the world to test their limits of physical and mental endurance in this documentary that contemplates the value of pain. I liked it a lot. But I get a kick out of seeing people do the marathon/ultra-marathon thing. Good stuff about pain, perseverance, and limits.
Praying - coco

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:15 pm

John-Boy wrote:Just finished "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young." (Netflix)

In its first 25 years only 10 people have finished The Barkley Marathons. Based on a historic prison escape, this cult like race tempts people from around the world to test their limits of physical and mental endurance in this documentary that contemplates the value of pain. I liked it a lot. But I get a kick out of seeing people do the marathon/ultra-marathon thing. Good stuff about pain, perseverance, and limits.
I watched this a month or two agai. What an awesome race.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 am

It took me 3 sittings, but I finished "Cast Alaska". I think I watched it on Amazon Prime...

"Throughout the dull warmth of Fall, as the Midnight Sun begins to dip, they will rise. One of the most fantastic freshwater fish found anywhere in the world: Alaskan Rainbow Trout. Follow angler Dave Holsman as he takes you on an unrelenting pursuit of the ultimate catch... a 30 inch Rainbow Trout. With Dave and friends, you'll raft white-water rivers"... blah blah blah... wow... this was so tedious. The cinematography was pretty good. Cool scenery, the fishing shots were okay... The music was the most annoying. It was so over the top and didn't work so many times. I was wondering to myself, "is this just the guys playlist of favorite tunes? or maybe he wrote these songs himself?" They were just so lame. Also, it reminded me of these guys I went goose hunting with years ago. One of them had brought a video camera and they were filming themselves making a hunting movie and talking about they were gonna be rich. I got the same feeling from this cast alaska thing. And like maybe they were hoping to turn it into a show.. but there reall wasn't any expertise or special knowledge... I'm getting bored just talking about it.
Praying - coco

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 am

John-Boy wrote:It took me 3 sittings, but I finished "Cast Alaska". I think I watched it on Amazon Prime...

"Throughout the dull warmth of Fall, as the Midnight Sun begins to dip, they will rise. One of the most fantastic freshwater fish found anywhere in the world: Alaskan Rainbow Trout. Follow angler Dave Holsman as he takes you on an unrelenting pursuit of the ultimate catch... a 30 inch Rainbow Trout. With Dave and friends, you'll raft white-water rivers"... blah blah blah... wow... this was so tedious. The cinematography was pretty good. Cool scenery, the fishing shots were okay... The music was the most annoying. It was so over the top and didn't work so many times. I was wondering to myself, "is this just the guys playlist of favorite tunes? or maybe he wrote these songs himself?" They were just so lame. Also, it reminded me of these guys I went goose hunting with years ago. One of them had brought a video camera and they were filming themselves making a hunting movie and talking about they were gonna be rich. I got the same feeling from this cast alaska thing. And like maybe they were hoping to turn it into a show.. but there reall wasn't any expertise or special knowledge... I'm getting bored just talking about it.
I tried to like. But didn't. Like you, I revisited it a couple of times but I couldn't finish it. It's still in my que and I may take another look sometime.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Try watching with the sound off. That might do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:09 pm

"Assault on El Capitan" (Amazon Prime) - In June and July of 2011 42 year old Ammon and Kait his 22 year old his girlfriend set out to climb the never repeated route of Wings of Steel on Yosemite's El Capitan. Wings sat unclimbed since the first ascent in 1983. Shrouded in controversy... blah blah blah. Mostly about the relational drama between the guys that first climbed the "wings of steel" route and the rest of the Yosemite climbing community. Kind of annoying. People are people. I imagined that the different players were people in the pipe community arguing over stupid stuff. That made it a little more fun. I would have liked to see a lot more actual climbing than the faces in interviews of the different folks.

"Kon Tiki " (Amazon Prime) - A documentary about the Kon-Tiki expedition of the Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl. Pretty cool. Musical score is definitely dated, especially the dramatic sequences. Took me a couple sittings to get through it.

"Racing Around the World Alone" (Amazon Prime) - The story of the 2008/2009 Vendée Globe race. 30 skippers embark on a quest to be the fastest to sail 27000 miles around the world, non stop, without assistance and alone on 60 foot sailboats. This is one of the most extreme challenges a human being can face... etc etc... I'm not a sailor, but this was pretty cool. It's a multi-month race boiled down to just over an hour. Somewhere in the middle I realized that the much of the video of the boats they show during the descriptions of what's happening during the race don't really match up in reality. The boats are off by themselves in the middle of the ocean. The shots of the sailors themselves from the boats are legit, but not the off boat shots. But I bought it enough to find it interesting. I was smoking Dunhill 965 in a Mastro de Paja... went pretty quick. I think I must have been puffing out of excitement.
Praying - coco

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:03 am

Ninja 2: Shadow of a tear

When his pregnant wife is savagely murdered, martial arts master Casey Bowman seeks retribution against the brutal drug lord behind the killing.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 am

Finished the four seasons of Longmire that are currently available. Well into Sherlock (BBC) now. I wish they had Dr. Who.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:30 am

"Mad Way South" (Amazon Prime) - Mad Way South follows 4 adventure junkies as they race their Kite Buggies across 2200 kilometres of the Sahara desert. Sort of like a cheap rip off of "Long Way Down". A total waste of time. "Meh... you guys are going too fast." "Meh... you hurt my feeling." "Meh... it's dangerous out here." "Let's all be friends and work together." "Meh."

"Against the Sun: A True Story" (Amazon Prime) - A WWII pilot, bombardier, and radioman find themselves adrift on a lifeboat without food or water after being forced to ditch their plane during a scouting mission. The guys adrift in the lifeboat movies then to be similar. Only so many things can happen in a lifeboat. This one was pretty good. I like it. Cools shots of the real guys the story is based on during the credits. Guys lose a lot of weight during the movie. They must have been on some tough diets during the filming.

"Into the Cold: A Jouney of the Soul" (Amazon Prime) - It retraces the personal and harrowing expedition of two men on foot to the North Pole in sub-zero temperatures to commemorate the centennial of Admiral Peary's reach in 1909. And it is in fact pretty stowpid. Pretty cool pictures and video of the ice. They tried to create drama. That was pretty dumb. The guy did fall through the ice. That was neat. Glad he was okay.
Praying - coco

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:16 pm

If you like Long Way Down you should watch Long Way Around. Same guys but an earlier trip.

I watched Into The Wild a few weeks ago. Freaked me out at the end.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm

FredS wrote:If you like Long Way Down you should watch Long Way Around. Same guys but an earlier trip.

I watched Into The Wild a few weeks ago. Freaked me out at the end.
Yep. I watched em both. I though long way around was better... But I liked em both. Haven't seen "into the Wild" yet, but I did read it a while back.
Praying - coco