Netflix Gold

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: Netflix Gold

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:27 am

I won't go so far to say it's "gold," but the wife and I just finished watching The Keepers, which is a true-crime styled documentary about the murder of a nun in '69; that is at least where it starts, but it quickly gets into the sex scandals surrounding the high school the nun was employed by. We found it to be interesting, to say the least, but I suspect some here will have strong-to-mixed feelings about it.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Comrade Detective
IMDb wrote:In the thick of 1980's Cold War hysteria, the Romanian government created the country's most popular and longest-running series, Comrade Detective, a sleek and gritty police show that not only entertained its citizens but also promoted Communist ideals and inspired a deep nationalism. The action-packed and blood-soaked first season finds Detectives Gregor Anghel and Joseph Baciu investigating the murder of fellow officer Nikita Ionescu and, in the process, unraveling a subversive plot to destroy their country that is fueled by-what else-but the greatest enemy: Capitalism.
In spite of the description I'm finding this show oddly entertaining. I honestly can't tell if they are trying to be serious or not, but most of their jabs at 'Murica/capitalism have given me a good chuckle.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm

I am already popping the corn and stocking the snacks for tomorrow's Stranger Things binge :taco:
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm

infidel wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:56 pm
I am already popping the corn and stocking the snacks for tomorrow's Stranger Things binge :taco:
Yes, you speak for many.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 pm
infidel wrote:
Yes, you speak for many.
:bacon:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 pm

Black Mirror is a bit weird. I'm just now finding it.

I won't have time to watch Stranger Things for a few days, and I'm only three episodes into The Vietnam War on cable. Much to do lately.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:19 pm

infidel wrote:
I worry Season 2 will disappoint. I hope I am wrong about that.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 am

"Chewing the fat" and "Still Game" both are great Scottish comedies along with "Limmy Show" an old favorite.

I'm finding that Netflix is getting stale. Really having to dig to find stuff.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:52 pm
Comrade Detective
IMDb wrote:In the thick of 1980's Cold War hysteria, the Romanian government created the country's most popular and longest-running series, Comrade Detective, a sleek and gritty police show that not only entertained its citizens but also promoted Communist ideals and inspired a deep nationalism. The action-packed and blood-soaked first season finds Detectives Gregor Anghel and Joseph Baciu investigating the murder of fellow officer Nikita Ionescu and, in the process, unraveling a subversive plot to destroy their country that is fueled by-what else-but the greatest enemy: Capitalism.
In spite of the description I'm finding this show oddly entertaining. I honestly can't tell if they are trying to be serious or not, but most of their jabs at 'Murica/capitalism have given me a good chuckle.
I watched the first episode last night. It's funny as hell, on a dozen different levels. I hate to bust your bubble, but they're definitely not trying to be serious. It's like "Lethal Weapon" set in 1980's Romania. Only it's not. Look at the names on the ending credits.

Also, this is an Amazon series. You won't find it on Netflix.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm

I just finished season 2 of Stranger Things.

10/10.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am

Skip wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm

10/10.
+1
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:32 am

Funny show to watch that is not 45 minutes long, Schitt's Creek.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 am
Skip wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm

10/10.
+1
I thought it was eleven.

Alas, I have not finished season 2 yet.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning