What the Hell Is Going On?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:16 am

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
Families have always been anxious about Planned Parenthood's agenda being pushed on our children by the state-enforced education system.

Pipeson attended seminary college in Nebraska. Nebraska families are fiercely protective of their children's happiness, much more than most of the country. It's pretty awesome.

As long as conservatives support families, the liberal-wingnuts will accuse them of "flipping out."

Here's some general advice to liberal elitists: Stop thinking that you know how to raise our kids better than we do.
It seems to me that when it's a liberal using this kind of hyperbole, it's hateful or whatnot but when its a conservative, its protective.

Just sayin'.
The impassioned parents using the hyperbole as they speak in their community is a bit over-the-top.

Publishing their comments on a liberal newsblog in an effort to make them look foolish is hateful. And yes, this is what we have come to expect from the liberal elitists.

In another thread around here somewhere, I mentioned how much I detest it when a news outlet cherry-picks some silly or extreme comment from a random impassioned person -- and then insists that "all" liberals/conservatives/Democrats/Republicans are like that.

In this case in Nebraska, the local parents are opposed to the sex ed program being introduced into their public schools. Most likely, they are afraid that the information is too explicit, that it urges their children into sexual activity, that it encourages teen sex and homosexuality along with an amoral ethic.

None of this in the article link. Just ridicule of the parent who said they are "raping the innocence of our children."

The Planned Parenthood message is that "sex is okay whenever you feel that you are ready. You will be safe as long as you use a condom." Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.

It has nothing at all to do with "conservatives."
Fascinating.

I now know my math teacher raped me with all those multiplication tables I was forced to learn as a child. But its ok..I'm sure she voted Republican--or at least not for Obama.
What are you more concerned about here? The inflammatory language used or the inflammatory curriculum?
The use of this kind of language. When the use "rape" here they have instantly lost the argument and marginalized themselves.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 11987
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by tuttle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:45 am

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
Families have always been anxious about Planned Parenthood's agenda being pushed on our children by the state-enforced education system.

Pipeson attended seminary college in Nebraska. Nebraska families are fiercely protective of their children's happiness, much more than most of the country. It's pretty awesome.

As long as conservatives support families, the liberal-wingnuts will accuse them of "flipping out."

Here's some general advice to liberal elitists: Stop thinking that you know how to raise our kids better than we do.
It seems to me that when it's a liberal using this kind of hyperbole, it's hateful or whatnot but when its a conservative, its protective.

Just sayin'.
The impassioned parents using the hyperbole as they speak in their community is a bit over-the-top.

Publishing their comments on a liberal newsblog in an effort to make them look foolish is hateful. And yes, this is what we have come to expect from the liberal elitists.

In another thread around here somewhere, I mentioned how much I detest it when a news outlet cherry-picks some silly or extreme comment from a random impassioned person -- and then insists that "all" liberals/conservatives/Democrats/Republicans are like that.

In this case in Nebraska, the local parents are opposed to the sex ed program being introduced into their public schools. Most likely, they are afraid that the information is too explicit, that it urges their children into sexual activity, that it encourages teen sex and homosexuality along with an amoral ethic.

None of this in the article link. Just ridicule of the parent who said they are "raping the innocence of our children."

The Planned Parenthood message is that "sex is okay whenever you feel that you are ready. You will be safe as long as you use a condom." Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.

It has nothing at all to do with "conservatives."
Fascinating.

I now know my math teacher raped me with all those multiplication tables I was forced to learn as a child. But its ok..I'm sure she voted Republican--or at least not for Obama.
What are you more concerned about here? The inflammatory language used or the inflammatory curriculum?
The use of this kind of language. When the use "rape" here they have instantly lost the argument and marginalized themselves.
I agree that it was a boneheaded statement. One they surely picked thinking would really stick it to 'em. "Robbing" would have been a better term. But it's still not as concerning as the implementation of the new sexual norm classes the parents are reacting against.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:26 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
Families have always been anxious about Planned Parenthood's agenda being pushed on our children by the state-enforced education system.

Pipeson attended seminary college in Nebraska. Nebraska families are fiercely protective of their children's happiness, much more than most of the country. It's pretty awesome.

As long as conservatives support families, the liberal-wingnuts will accuse them of "flipping out."

Here's some general advice to liberal elitists: Stop thinking that you know how to raise our kids better than we do.
It seems to me that when it's a liberal using this kind of hyperbole, it's hateful or whatnot but when its a conservative, its protective.

Just sayin'.
The impassioned parents using the hyperbole as they speak in their community is a bit over-the-top.

Publishing their comments on a liberal newsblog in an effort to make them look foolish is hateful. And yes, this is what we have come to expect from the liberal elitists.

In another thread around here somewhere, I mentioned how much I detest it when a news outlet cherry-picks some silly or extreme comment from a random impassioned person -- and then insists that "all" liberals/conservatives/Democrats/Republicans are like that.

In this case in Nebraska, the local parents are opposed to the sex ed program being introduced into their public schools. Most likely, they are afraid that the information is too explicit, that it urges their children into sexual activity, that it encourages teen sex and homosexuality along with an amoral ethic.

None of this in the article link. Just ridicule of the parent who said they are "raping the innocence of our children."

The Planned Parenthood message is that "sex is okay whenever you feel that you are ready. You will be safe as long as you use a condom." Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.

It has nothing at all to do with "conservatives."
Fascinating.

I now know my math teacher raped me with all those multiplication tables I was forced to learn as a child. But its ok..I'm sure she voted Republican--or at least not for Obama.
What are you more concerned about here? The inflammatory language used or the inflammatory curriculum?
The use of this kind of language. When the use "rape" here they have instantly lost the argument and marginalized themselves.
I agree that it was a boneheaded statement. One they surely picked thinking would really stick it to 'em. "Robbing" would have been a better term. But it's still not as concerning as the implementation of the new sexual norm classes the parents are reacting against.
First, what exactly are these new sexual norms? I dunno--never got past the "rape". Second, this portrays Christians (or they are portraying themselves) as an ethnic minority--which is disturbing since they are clearly an ethnic majority in Nebraska. Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Del wrote: Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.
I looked up the Guttmacher Institute but I couldn't find that source. So, source?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 16942
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:38 pm

I don't know how anyone else feels about the situation, but I believe the word "rape" should only be used to describe actual, sexual penetration without consent. The action is so violent, horrific, and destructive that the word used to describe it should never be used to describe something such as making kids sit through a sexual education course.

I sat through sex ed when I was a kid, and I didn't have sex until I got married. I don't know why parents think there's a necessarily causal relationship between the two. If your child is having sex, it's not because someone taught them how to use a condom one day. They're having sex because adolescents learn to think for themselves as they grow older and they decide to cast aside what they've been taught about the wrongfulness of sex in favor of sexual pleasure. Removing sex ed from the equation just increases the odds that someone's going to wind up pregnant, because no one has taught to them the mechanics of conception.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 16942
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:41 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote: Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.
I looked up the Guttmacher Institute but I couldn't find that source. So, source?
I'm curious to know how they gathered those numbers and how they compare to schools without sexual education programs.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:54 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote: Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.
I looked up the Guttmacher Institute but I couldn't find that source. So, source?
I'm curious to know how they gathered those numbers and how they compare to schools without sexual education programs.
Those are my questions as well.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:33 pm

As ever, English is far too good and complex and sublime a language for the likes of Del to use with any efficacy.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Del » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:38 pm

tuttle wrote:What are you more concerned about here? The inflammatory language used or the inflammatory curriculum?
We should respect the Youth Room, I think.

This is a thread about people behaving foolishly when doing nothing at all would be the better option.

For my part, I am humorously disgusted by the website which, in all seriousness, chose to mock parents who are concerned about their children's education, innocence, and emotional development. Ha ha! What the hell is going on here?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Del » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:42 pm

A_Morley wrote:As ever, English is far too good and complex and sublime a language for the likes of Del to use with any efficacy.
I try real hard... :oops:
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Del wrote:
A_Morley wrote:As ever, English is far too good and complex and sublime a language for the likes of Del to use with any efficacy.
I try real hard... :oops:
Yes, and in classic gee shucks you betcha Midwestern fashion you always fail and fail miserably which is why I wish that you and everybody like you would just give up speaking altogether.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Del » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:28 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Del wrote:
A_Morley wrote:As ever, English is far too good and complex and sublime a language for the likes of Del to use with any efficacy.
I try real hard... :oops:
Yes, and in classic gee shucks you betcha Midwestern fashion you always fail and fail miserably which is why I wish that you and everybody like you would just give up speaking altogether.

And do ya wanna know the funny part?

I don't even know that I'm miserable!

:dance: :bacon: :cheese: :taco: :chili: :dance:
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 11987
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:37 am

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
Families have always been anxious about Planned Parenthood's agenda being pushed on our children by the state-enforced education system.

Pipeson attended seminary college in Nebraska. Nebraska families are fiercely protective of their children's happiness, much more than most of the country. It's pretty awesome.

As long as conservatives support families, the liberal-wingnuts will accuse them of "flipping out."

Here's some general advice to liberal elitists: Stop thinking that you know how to raise our kids better than we do.
It seems to me that when it's a liberal using this kind of hyperbole, it's hateful or whatnot but when its a conservative, its protective.

Just sayin'.
The impassioned parents using the hyperbole as they speak in their community is a bit over-the-top.

Publishing their comments on a liberal newsblog in an effort to make them look foolish is hateful. And yes, this is what we have come to expect from the liberal elitists.

In another thread around here somewhere, I mentioned how much I detest it when a news outlet cherry-picks some silly or extreme comment from a random impassioned person -- and then insists that "all" liberals/conservatives/Democrats/Republicans are like that.

In this case in Nebraska, the local parents are opposed to the sex ed program being introduced into their public schools. Most likely, they are afraid that the information is too explicit, that it urges their children into sexual activity, that it encourages teen sex and homosexuality along with an amoral ethic.

None of this in the article link. Just ridicule of the parent who said they are "raping the innocence of our children."

The Planned Parenthood message is that "sex is okay whenever you feel that you are ready. You will be safe as long as you use a condom." Guttmacher Institute reports that there is usually a 50% increase in childhood sexual activity after a Planned Parenthood sex ed program is introduced into a school. This is why the parents are concerned.

It has nothing at all to do with "conservatives."
Fascinating.

I now know my math teacher raped me with all those multiplication tables I was forced to learn as a child. But its ok..I'm sure she voted Republican--or at least not for Obama.
What are you more concerned about here? The inflammatory language used or the inflammatory curriculum?
The use of this kind of language. When the use "rape" here they have instantly lost the argument and marginalized themselves.
I agree that it was a boneheaded statement. One they surely picked thinking would really stick it to 'em. "Robbing" would have been a better term. But it's still not as concerning as the implementation of the new sexual norm classes the parents are reacting against.
First, what exactly are these new sexual norms? I dunno--never got past the "rape".
LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ
UncleBob wrote:Second, this portrays Christians (or they are portraying themselves) as an ethnic minority--which is disturbing since they are clearly an ethnic majority in Nebraska.
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
UncleBob wrote:Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
I came across something today that made me think of this situation. When a group is wrong (using the term rape here) on a right situation. It went something like this "A man may not be right-headed, but it doesn't mean he isn't right." I think this applies to this story. This group is right to protest but they're not right in ways they've gone about it.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 am

tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Del » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:04 am

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
I'm pretty sure that you mean "ethnic as a culturally identifiable group."
UncleBob wrote:Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
I think you have found the key, right here.

When a child is robbed of his or her sexual innocence before the child is mature enough to understand adequately or give consent, we call this statutory rape. The parent who was mocked in the article understands this connection.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 11987
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:12 am

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
WASP isn't an ethnicity, it's social science jargon. It doesn't describe an ethnicity. It describes a (mostly derogative) mindset from the perspective of cultural minorities, be it race or class or religion. But that's a quibble. I disagree but at least I now can run alongside.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 am

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
I'm pretty sure that you mean "ethnic as a culturally identifiable group."
UncleBob wrote:Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
I think you have found the key, right here.

When a child is robbed of his or her sexual innocence before the child is mature enough to understand adequately or give consent, we call this statutory rape. The parent who was mocked in the article understands this connection.
No, Del. When an adult has sex with a minor we call that statutory rape. These adults are trying to play a victim card--any victim card--because their argument is weak. It essentially comes down to "we don't want them to learn about sex/sexual health/cultural issues because Jesus."

BTW-- still waiting on that source.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 11987
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:23 am

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
I'm pretty sure that you mean "ethnic as a culturally identifiable group."
UncleBob wrote:Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
I think you have found the key, right here.

When a child is robbed of his or her sexual innocence before the child is mature enough to understand adequately or give consent, we call this statutory rape. The parent who was mocked in the article understands this connection.
No, Del. When an adult has sex with a minor we call that statutory rape. These adults are trying to play a victim card--any victim card--because their argument is weak. It essentially comes down to "we don't want them to learn about sex/sexual health/cultural issues because Jesus."

BTW-- still waiting on that source.
It's more true probably to say that they played that card not because their argument is weak, but because their religious argument has no sway in public school matters. It's a bad tactic and it does have the sense of desperation about it, likely because this is coming more out of outrage than rational level-headedness. It is a losing battle because LGBTetc is now rooted into the system, and this is a frustration surfacing.
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 am

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
An ethnic minority? That's a weird way to look at it. I must have missed that. I can run alongside someone who says they are being portrayed (or portraying themselves) as a religious minority. I would disagree, but it would be semantics in the 'he said she said' kind of way, but I could at least follow it. I'm confused about the identifying with ethnic minorities though. I could be missing something, I'll grant.
WASP as ethnic minority.
I'm pretty sure that you mean "ethnic as a culturally identifiable group."
UncleBob wrote:Finally, "robbing" would have been a much better choice here.
I think you have found the key, right here.

When a child is robbed of his or her sexual innocence before the child is mature enough to understand adequately or give consent, we call this statutory rape. The parent who was mocked in the article understands this connection.
No, Del. When an adult has sex with a minor we call that statutory rape. These adults are trying to play a victim card--any victim card--because their argument is weak. It essentially comes down to "we don't want them to learn about sex/sexual health/cultural issues because Jesus."

BTW-- still waiting on that source.
It's more true probably to say that they played that card not because their argument is weak, but because their religious argument has no sway in public school matters. It's a bad tactic and it does have the sense of desperation about it, likely because this is coming more out of outrage than rational level-headedness. It is a losing battle because LGBTetc is now rooted into the system, and this is a frustration surfacing.
Their argument is weak. They could have a strong argument: We opt out of this class for religious reasons. That's all they need to do. Their kids won't be forced to sit through the classes, the school will send the children to some alternative class, and we are done. This is why they are playing like an ethnic minority: Victim card instead of exercising the rights they already possess.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13689
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:59 am

What the hell's going on with this thread? You guys just pooped all over it.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Post Reply