Is it too early to start a candy corn thread?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Is it too early to start a candy corn thread?

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:49 am

I mean, the grocery stores already have them on "special" so why not?
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Is it too early to start a candy corn thread?

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:41 am

Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:DIABEETUS
Say no to Candy cORn, and cOBs

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:55 am

JimVH wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Jocose wrote:DIABEETUS
Say no to Candy cORn, and cOBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIvPzyK_8I
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:04 pm

Never too early.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:22 pm

No one has mentioned candy corn and peanuts yet.

Slackers.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Five you didn't know about candy corn by Bill Mann

Our country is deeply divided and polarized today. And the reason for this comes to a head this week:

No, the issue isn't deficit spending or debt ceilings. It's…candy corn.

You either love it or hate it. There's no middle ground on this important issue.

Candy corn, I would assert, is the lima beans of candy. It's perennially the last thing left in many trick or treaters' bags every year, and much of it gets tossed. I cannot abide even the sight of those cursed little isosceles triangles, leave alone their gooey taste and the cheap and overpowering sugar rush they impart. But hey, that's just me.

I hated this stuff as a kid, even though I like both candy and corn. But surprisingly, candy corn, at least judging by Twitter, has many defenders (#candycorn) as well as, of course, us haters. (Volcanic comedian Lewis Black even asserts, "Nothing proves just how dumb we are collectively as a people as candy corn.")

So, in the interest of informing the debate, here are…

5 things you didn't know about candy corn

1. The CIA has been using it for years as an "enhanced interrogation technique."

Among the many classified documents leaked by Edward Snowden was a largely overlooked report detailing the CIA's forced feeding of candy corn to suspected Al Qaeda prisoners. The documents reveal that it proved far more effective in getting sensitive information than waterboarding ever did..

2. Dentists and their staffs loathe candy corn

You may be surprised, however, by the reason. The little buggers are loaded with sugar and many people keep their dentists on speed-dial around Halloween. It's good for dentist's business. BUT…normal dental tools and office air compressors won't get the stuff completely off patients' teeth. Many dental hygienists are assigned to go out and rent industrial power washers to effectively remove all of it from patients' sucrose-encrusted choppers It's an unwieldly process usually performed in dental parking lots.

3. There are landfills devoted entirely to surplus candy corn

Candy corn is non-biodegradable, and most waste-management companies won't touch the stuff. It must be carefully sorted and then trucked to a few special sites around the country in remote areas -- e.g., the one at the federal nuclear storage site out in Hanford, WA. EPA officials there say they're as worried about candy-corn leakage into the aquifers as they are about nuclear-waste seepage.

4. All candy corn was manufactured in 1917

Candy corn is the unwanted byproduct of a failed wartime manufacturing experiment that extruded a food-like substance to make flotation devices for U.S. troops. (But there was a war on, and few noticed this failed experiment). The Defence Department was literally stuck with tons of excess sugary material. It was briefly used as ballast for the U.S. Navy during World War II, but when the sugary substance began rotting the hulls of warships, the government quietly sold its stockpiles of the yellow-and-white goo to candy purveyors, who didn't care about its limited shelf life. Candy companies now sell their extra yearly inventory to Third World Countries, who use it to pave roads.

5. It's not really made of corn!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Ha, it actually burns well. Traditionally it is sugar, wax, and colors and flavors, grind it up and mix in some root killer and you have a mild explosive or smoke charge depending how you use it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Eruannu wrote:Ha, it actually burns well. Traditionally it is sugar, wax, and colors and flavors, grind it up and mix in some root killer and you have a mild explosive or smoke charge depending how you use it.
Root killer? Like copper sulfate?

I don't like candy corn, so creatively burning it appeals to me.
Last edited by Del on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Sent my first candy corn pic of the season last week. Yer late by my clock.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:24 pm

Well, I did see Christmas decorations for sale last week, so maybe its too late for a candy corn thread
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Fainn wrote:Well, I did see Christmas decorations for sale last week, so maybe its too late for a candy corn thread
Funny that you mention Christmas because when I saw this thread I was going to post a response asking if it was to early to start the secret santa festivities for the year.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:48 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Fainn wrote:Well, I did see Christmas decorations for sale last week, so maybe its too late for a candy corn thread
Funny that you mention Christmas because when I saw this thread I was going to post a response asking if it was to early to start the secret santa festivities for the year.
Not sure how its done, but I have been paying attention to the types and blends the users smoke just in case I can swing it this year.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Is it too early to start a candy corn thread?

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:29 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
I could not handle waiting that long if they started already.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Fainn wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
Not sure how its done, but I have been paying attention to the types and blends the users smoke just in case I can swing it this year.
Good job. That's how it works. If you get in on it then you'll get assigned a victim to buy for, so knowing in advance what people like will come in handy.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:32 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:
I could not handle waiting that long if they started already.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I admit that it is one of the very few things I like about the holiday season.

Eruannu
Usher
Usher

Post by Eruannu » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:09 pm

Del wrote:
Eruannu wrote:Ha, it actually burns well. Traditionally it is sugar, wax, and colors and flavors, grind it up and mix in some root killer and you have a mild explosive or smoke charge depending how you use it.

Sorry good old stump killer potassium nitrate,
https://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-Stum ... B004GVYXKC

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Del

Post by Del » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:37 pm

Eruannu wrote:
Del wrote:

Ah! Nitrate makes a lot more sense.

Copper(II) sulphate isn't much of an oxidizing agent.

Have you done this experiment? Is there enough dye in the candy corn to make colored smoke? (I would reckon not. Some of the internet recipes for colored smoke bombs call for enormous proportion of aniline dyes.... like half the mixture.)
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:06 pm

Bleh.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:11 pm

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:43 am

Del wrote:
Eruannu wrote:
Del wrote:

Ah! Nitrate makes a lot more sense.

Copper(II) sulphate isn't much of an oxidizing agent.

Have you done this experiment? Is there enough dye in the candy corn to make colored smoke? (I would reckon not. Some of the internet recipes for colored smoke bombs call for enormous proportion of aniline dyes.... like half the mixture.)
Del, I love you. That's why I'm going to say this. Those amateurs who successfully make fun little harmless bombs are few and far between. I have a friend from high school who is still looking for his nose as a result of playing around, and he's a redneck with some familiarity of things what go boom. Perhaps this line of experimentation should remain a pleasant dream and not a painful reality.

Remember, you can't just singe your hair off anymore. You'll have the telltale scalp burns.

Edit: I can't stop thinking about the Mad Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight, the first, and for my money the best, episode of The Tick.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.