Do you have the Time?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.

You may select up to 10 options

YES
4
22%
NO
0
No votes
TIME AS IN PINK FLOYD'S DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
1
6%
WHY ARE THE QUESTIONS IN CAPS
2
11%
HAPPY HAMMER
2
11%
I DETECTED 1 SPELLING ERROR IN THE ABOVE POST
1
6%
I DETECTED MORE THAT 2 SPELLING/GRAMMER/PUNFICTION ERRORS
3
17%
ROADMASTER NEEDS AN INTROVENTION
5
28%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Do you have the Time?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 am

Do You Have the Time?

Yes I do. If there is a clock or watch that I have any control over I want it to have the correct time. A hundred years ago the Railroad Standard was a watch had to be accurate to +/- 30 seconds a week. This was for a watch that cost much more than a weeks pay. Now of course a cheep quartz watch costing $5 keeps better time.
Mrs. R has the clock in the house set 10 minutes fast, the clock in her car is 9 minutes fast, and her watch who knows. My mother was the same way drove my crazy then and does now. Always laugh when Columbo or one of the FBI TV Shows that determine time of death by the time a watch or clock stopped.
So does your watch/clock/sundial have the correct time?

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 24754
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Central North Carolina

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am

It's 5 o'clock some where.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

TheImpudent just gave me a wedgie. » John-Boy

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:29 am
It's 5 o'clock some where.
It's not going to get better than that.
TIME to close this thread.
Last edited by Roadmaster on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 7777
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 am

It's 9:34 AM MST


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?
Posts: 17280
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by wosbald » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:35 am





"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 3442
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:36 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:27 am
Do You Have the Time?

Yes I do. If there is a clock or watch that I have any control over I want it to have the correct time. A hundred years ago the Railroad Standard was a watch had to be accurate to +/- 30 seconds a week. This was for a watch that cost much more than a weeks pay. Now of course a cheep quartz watch costing $5 keeps better time.
Mrs. R has the clock in the house set 10 minutes fast, the clock in her car is 9 minutes fast, and her watch who knows. My mother was the same way drove my crazy then and does now. Always laugh when Columbo or one of the FBI TV Shows that determine time of death by the time a watch or clock stopped.
So does your watch/clock/sundial have the correct time?
Setting clocks 10 minutes ahead does help keep me punctual. I must then be a type B person.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3497
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

My wife sets her bedside clock and her watch 5 minutes fast. But she lives by her smartphone and it's boinging alarm to remind her of appointments, etc. Of course the smart phone keeps precise time.

How she reconciles the two is beyond me. Of course she is "woman" and there is no understanding this, only admiration, awe and wonder.

The clock on my side of the bed, any other clocks in the house and my watch are set, by me, to be accurate. The one in my office sets itself, by radio, to the National Bureau of Standards clock in Boulder.

In answer to Chicago, they seem to really know what time it is.

My wife is definitely a type A.
I think I'm a C+.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 7777
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am

Tiiiiiiime is on my side.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19237
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am

For a long time, Rita was one of those ten minute ahead folks, but changed her ways. I'm OC about all my time pieces being set together and on time. It makes me nuts to walk through the house and find inconsistency.

Early is one time. On time is late. Late gets left behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM
Last edited by JimVH on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3497
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:49 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 am
Tiiiiiiime is on my side.
Yes it is.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3497
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am

Regarding "punfiction" errors: This is a genre my students excel in.
I enjoy finding such gems as, "It's a doggy dog world" buried in their papers.

Questions:

Is an introvention the opposite of an extrovention?
An intervention for introverts?
The introduction of friends at a pipe convention?

Inquiring minds want to know.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:06 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:57 am
Regarding "punfiction" errors: This is a genre my students excel in.
I enjoy finding such gems as, "It's a doggy dog world" buried in their papers.

Questions:

Is an introvention the opposite of an extrovention?
An intervention for introverts?
The introduction of friends at a pipe convention?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Incorrect numbers bother me, spelling not so much.

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am
The one in my office sets itself, by radio, to the National Bureau of Standards clock in Boulder.


My Uncle worked for Western U***n from age 16 until he retired at age 62. He had a clock in his house that was, I think, on the official standard which was a big deal to me as a young boy.
This link talks about the time standard as set by Western U***n before the Boulder Clock:
http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/time.html

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 3497
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:24 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am
The one in my office sets itself, by radio, to the National Bureau of Standards clock in Boulder.


My Uncle worked for Western U***n from age 16 until he retired at age 62. He had a clock in his house that was, I think, on the official standard which was a big deal to me as a young boy.
This link talks about the time standard as set by Western U***n before the Boulder Clock:
http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/time.html
I own, and still occasionally use, a J-38 key very similar to the telegraph key shown in the linked piece.
One night a year, on New Year's Eve, thousands of amateur radio operators greet each other using such keys on what's known as "Straight Key Night."
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity. J.R.R. Tolkien

User avatar
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?
Posts: 17280
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by wosbald » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am





"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 5870
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by infidel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am

infi-

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 14955
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am

How fast are you moving and according to which observer?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am
How fast are you moving and according to which observer?
If the Universe is expanding would we have to be moving in the other direction in order to be not moving?

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 14955
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by gaining_age » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:50 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am
gaining_age wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:31 am
How fast are you moving and according to which observer?
If the Universe is expanding would we have to be moving in the other direction in order to be not moving?
According to which observer?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 32446
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Do you have the Time?

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:55 am

This is the one that stuck in my head when I read the title.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest