DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by UncleBob » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:07 am

coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
This just in: Donald Trump, several Roman Catholics wearing baby poop green sports jackets, and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. Experts are saying it was a "soft rapture," with the big one soon to come.
Any word on the ratings?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am

+JMJ+
coco wrote:
…and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. …
Reports of my rapture have been greatly exaggerated. It was just a timeshare kind-of-deal. I would never leave y'all orphans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am

It was a "Skinny Rapture."
It failed by one vote.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am

coco wrote:
This just in: Donald Trump, several Roman Catholics wearing baby poop green sports jackets, and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. Experts are saying it was a "soft rapture," with the big one soon to come.
I acknowledge that the syntax is tough, but does this mean Trump and Wos didn't wear the jackets?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 am

Skip wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 am
Del wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 am
Too much of religion is about power and control. Even the religion of atheism is plagued by it. Take for instance, the atheist so called "Freedom From Religion Foundation." They have as there "mission" the eradication of any and all religious symbols from government. Why, if it were not for the families of heroes who died in battle, they'd have by now forced the removal of every white cross from every Veteran's Cemetery in the U.S.

"Doom & gloom" can be controlling and manipulative, if such messages are not based on love & compassion.
The FRF think the crosses are 'plus signs'. I explained that. It's secular. Don't tell them otherwise. Some of them are now in fact arguing that all the arithmetic symbols should there. I tend to agree. But why limit it to arithmetic symbols?

And there is no "religion of atheism". Also the "eradication of any and all religious symbols from government" is just the thin edge of the wedge. Do you remember when they forbid smoking in elevators? It's like that.
Of course, there is a "religion of atheism." These differ from simple unbelievers in that they have dogmatic faith in the declaration that "there is no god."

And when they strive to impose their dogma upon us, and insist that we must eradicate all signs of faith from public life, then they are very puritanical religion indeed.
Dogmatic faith? LOL! Seems redundant to qualify it that way. I love your posts, Del.

There is no religion of atheism. Ultimately we don't know whether there is any supernatural anything or god. That's the agnostic part and I suspect that this includes virtually all of humanity. Many of us (agnostics) don't believe in gods, supernatural etc. There isn't enough evidence etc to make belief likely. It looks really unlikely and unworthy of belief. That's the atheist part. It's not a religion. We treat all the gods & dogma this way ie no belief. It's skepticism that is operative. What we see of Christian dogmas aren't convincing and so we dismiss any belief. It's not that it doesn't have value. Perhaps it's a failure of (orthodox) religion? With many I suspect that orthodox religious practice, community etc was not part of their upbringing. They grew up in a secular family. So it's also missing from their worldview.

Most atheists don't care enough about the topic to even engage it and I suspect that it's not knowing and not believing. When that is the state there is almost nothing to talk about. This is probably very much like your disbelief in Greek and Nordic Gods. It's not as if you experience episodes of disbelief about Nordic gods. Your disbelief doesn't qualify as a religion. Your Christian beliefs do qualify as religion, faith, etc. It's harder to explain the evangelizing atheist. So the interest is in those that do believe. You folks are the interesting case.

I think there might be agnostics that do believe and are religious. In fact I treat all of you as evidence of this.
I get it. Honest agnosticism is not any sort of religion. The common atheist is neighborly, as you say. He doesn't spend any time thinking about it, or worrying about what anyone else does. Such folks are good-hearted friends, co-workers, even family members. Guys like Penn Jillette, with whom it would jolly fun to enjoy a beer or two.

But then there are the few true believers who are the zealots of atheism.... the likes of Dawkins & Hitchens & the folks at the Freedom From Religion Foundation. They proselytize with earnest devotion. They do not tolerate anything or anyone who deviates from their orthodoxy. They bring lawsuits against peaceful townsfolk who like Christmas decorations in the park.

Unfortunately, my county in Wisconsin has many of these zealous true believers.
Del, I seriously think you need to see a proctologist.
If you say so.

My home town here, north of Madison, was hit with a lawsuit trying to end our decades-old custom of a manger-scene in our village park.

And last night, Pipeson and I tried to smoke our pipes on the rooftop patio of a new brewpub here. We were told that a village ordinance prohibits such enjoyment.

I don't think a proctologist will relieve the irritation of these modern secular puritans telling us to quit enjoying ourselves.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am
coco wrote:
I acknowledge that the syntax is tough, but does this mean Trump and Wos didn't wear the jackets?
Trump didn't, but his tie was tied way too long. Wos definitely had the jacket on.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am
+JMJ+
coco wrote:
…and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. …
Reports of my rapture have been greatly exaggerated. It was just a timeshare kind-of-deal. I would never leave y'all orphans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
:dance:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip