DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32453
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by UncleBob » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:07 am

coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
This just in: Donald Trump, several Roman Catholics wearing baby poop green sports jackets, and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. Experts are saying it was a "soft rapture," with the big one soon to come.
Any word on the ratings?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 18024
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am

+JMJ+
coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
…and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. …
Reports of my rapture have been greatly exaggerated. It was just a timeshare kind-of-deal. I would never leave y'all orphans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ




"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4371
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 am

It was a "Skinny Rapture."
It failed by one vote.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am

coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
This just in: Donald Trump, several Roman Catholics wearing baby poop green sports jackets, and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. Experts are saying it was a "soft rapture," with the big one soon to come.
I acknowledge that the syntax is tough, but does this mean Trump and Wos didn't wear the jackets?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35733
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Del » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 am

Skip wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm
Del wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 am
Del wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:27 am
Rusty wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:54 am
Goose55 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 am
Too much of religion is about power and control. Even the religion of atheism is plagued by it. Take for instance, the atheist so called "Freedom From Religion Foundation." They have as there "mission" the eradication of any and all religious symbols from government. Why, if it were not for the families of heroes who died in battle, they'd have by now forced the removal of every white cross from every Veteran's Cemetery in the U.S.

"Doom & gloom" can be controlling and manipulative, if such messages are not based on love & compassion.
The FRF think the crosses are 'plus signs'. I explained that. It's secular. Don't tell them otherwise. Some of them are now in fact arguing that all the arithmetic symbols should there. I tend to agree. But why limit it to arithmetic symbols?

And there is no "religion of atheism". Also the "eradication of any and all religious symbols from government" is just the thin edge of the wedge. Do you remember when they forbid smoking in elevators? It's like that.
Of course, there is a "religion of atheism." These differ from simple unbelievers in that they have dogmatic faith in the declaration that "there is no god."

And when they strive to impose their dogma upon us, and insist that we must eradicate all signs of faith from public life, then they are very puritanical religion indeed.
Dogmatic faith? LOL! Seems redundant to qualify it that way. I love your posts, Del.

There is no religion of atheism. Ultimately we don't know whether there is any supernatural anything or god. That's the agnostic part and I suspect that this includes virtually all of humanity. Many of us (agnostics) don't believe in gods, supernatural etc. There isn't enough evidence etc to make belief likely. It looks really unlikely and unworthy of belief. That's the atheist part. It's not a religion. We treat all the gods & dogma this way ie no belief. It's skepticism that is operative. What we see of Christian dogmas aren't convincing and so we dismiss any belief. It's not that it doesn't have value. Perhaps it's a failure of (orthodox) religion? With many I suspect that orthodox religious practice, community etc was not part of their upbringing. They grew up in a secular family. So it's also missing from their worldview.

Most atheists don't care enough about the topic to even engage it and I suspect that it's not knowing and not believing. When that is the state there is almost nothing to talk about. This is probably very much like your disbelief in Greek and Nordic Gods. It's not as if you experience episodes of disbelief about Nordic gods. Your disbelief doesn't qualify as a religion. Your Christian beliefs do qualify as religion, faith, etc. It's harder to explain the evangelizing atheist. So the interest is in those that do believe. You folks are the interesting case.

I think there might be agnostics that do believe and are religious. In fact I treat all of you as evidence of this.
I get it. Honest agnosticism is not any sort of religion. The common atheist is neighborly, as you say. He doesn't spend any time thinking about it, or worrying about what anyone else does. Such folks are good-hearted friends, co-workers, even family members. Guys like Penn Jillette, with whom it would jolly fun to enjoy a beer or two.

But then there are the few true believers who are the zealots of atheism.... the likes of Dawkins & Hitchens & the folks at the Freedom From Religion Foundation. They proselytize with earnest devotion. They do not tolerate anything or anyone who deviates from their orthodoxy. They bring lawsuits against peaceful townsfolk who like Christmas decorations in the park.

Unfortunately, my county in Wisconsin has many of these zealous true believers.
Del, I seriously think you need to see a proctologist.
If you say so.

My home town here, north of Madison, was hit with a lawsuit trying to end our decades-old custom of a manger-scene in our village park.

And last night, Pipeson and I tried to smoke our pipes on the rooftop patio of a new brewpub here. We were told that a village ordinance prohibits such enjoyment.

I don't think a proctologist will relieve the irritation of these modern secular puritans telling us to quit enjoying ourselves.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 am
coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
This just in: Donald Trump, several Roman Catholics wearing baby poop green sports jackets, and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. Experts are saying it was a "soft rapture," with the big one soon to come.
I acknowledge that the syntax is tough, but does this mean Trump and Wos didn't wear the jackets?
Trump didn't, but his tie was tied way too long. Wos definitely had the jacket on.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27156
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:00 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 am
+JMJ+
coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 am
…and Wosbald have all been raptured. The rest of us are still here. …
Reports of my rapture have been greatly exaggerated. It was just a timeshare kind-of-deal. I would never leave y'all orphans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ
:dance:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6186
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by infidel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22024
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:42 am

That Stones music video where they aren't wearing stage make-up is certainly disturbing
Image

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 am

All of us, in our own place and time, walkin' our own Green Mile. That's doom & gloom enough.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 25037
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 am
All of us, in our own place and time, walkin' our own Green Mile. That's doom & gloom enough.
Why walk? Take the Enzo. A red Enzo. Christmas colours. It's probably pagan rather than Christian actually. More the merrier. I can also recommend painting your belly blue.

What happens as you blow down the mile at very high speed?

Oops a traffic jam! Look at those bikes and scooters passing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joEbxah9ZNw

Maybe you should have chosen a Hayabusa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4mpcQUxSg
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 am
All of us, in our own place and time, walkin' our own Green Mile. That's doom & gloom enough.
Why walk? Take the Enzo. A red Enzo.
I'll walk it. I'm in no hurry. Because though it seems long, the Green Mile is very brief.

The Enzo revving it's 660 hp engine there sounds like a lion roaring.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 25037
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Rusty » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:58 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:48 am
All of us, in our own place and time, walkin' our own Green Mile. That's doom & gloom enough.
Why walk? Take the Enzo. A red Enzo.
I'll walk it. I'm in no hurry. Because though it seems long, the Green Mile is very brief.

The Enzo revving it's 660 hp engine there sounds like a lion roaring.
You'll live longer if you go faster. A lot faster. You'd look thinner too.
How about a used Delorean with 'interesting' modifications?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98AuvsLTfc
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22024
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:15 pm


User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22024
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:31 pm

In a parallel universe, it's just one cliff hanger after another....
Image

User avatar
tuttle
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 12028
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by tuttle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am

Holy smokes, good thing the rapture didn't happen or I'd have missed this!

The best part (aesthetically speaking) is that after failing to rhyme the easiest words in the dictionary, he comes out of left field and rhymes 'flesh' with the amazingly fitting 'creche' :lol:
"You're my kind of stupid" -Mal Reynolds

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

The Reformation Drinking Song

User avatar
Jester
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Jester » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am
Holy smokes, good thing the rapture didn't happen or I'd have missed this!

The best part (aesthetically speaking) is that after failing to rhyme the easiest words in the dictionary, he comes out of left field and rhymes 'flesh' with the amazingly fitting 'creche' :lol:
Just sent this to my new Family Pastor in an email. "I think this video will really help us in the direction we are going. (posted link)"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am
Holy smokes, good thing the rapture didn't happen or I'd have missed this!

The best part (aesthetically speaking) is that after failing to rhyme the easiest words in the dictionary, he comes out of left field and rhymes 'flesh' with the amazingly fitting 'creche' :lol:
Just sent this to my new Family Pastor in an email. "I think this video will really help us in the direction we are going. (posted link)"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Does anyone know if this guy makes personal appearances? Is he available for booking?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14975
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am
Jester wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am
Holy smokes, good thing the rapture didn't happen or I'd have missed this!

The best part (aesthetically speaking) is that after failing to rhyme the easiest words in the dictionary, he comes out of left field and rhymes 'flesh' with the amazingly fitting 'creche' :lol:
Just sent this to my new Family Pastor in an email. "I think this video will really help us in the direction we are going. (posted link)"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Does anyone know if this guy makes personal appearances? Is he available for booking?
Like you don't know. Just give us your tour dates and we'll buy tickets
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4956
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: DoOm aNd GloOm, cOmIng SoOn...

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 am
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 am
Jester wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:52 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 am
Holy smokes, good thing the rapture didn't happen or I'd have missed this!

The best part (aesthetically speaking) is that after failing to rhyme the easiest words in the dictionary, he comes out of left field and rhymes 'flesh' with the amazingly fitting 'creche' :lol:
Just sent this to my new Family Pastor in an email. "I think this video will really help us in the direction we are going. (posted link)"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Does anyone know if this guy makes personal appearances? Is he available for booking?
Like you don't know. Just give us your tour dates and we'll buy tickets
My question was in sarcasm. I am not all interested in hearing anything the man would have to say.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Post Reply