Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.

Do you wear a wrist watch?

Yes. I am a man, you see.
11
73%
No, I am one of them millennials. I use a cell phone, like Jocose.
2
13%
TACOS!
0
No votes
A_Morely with Timex breeches.
1
7%
I want to but my wife/girlfriend won't let me have one.
0
No votes
Ahem. Pocket watch, b******!
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8386
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by SlowToke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm
I do not wear a watch and haven't for a very long time. I prefer to navigate life without the oppressive rule of time.
Aren't you in the medical profession?

When can the cast come off? SHUT IT! YOU WORTHLESS SCUM! CAST OFF YOUR OPPRESSION'S! THEN. AND ONLY THEN, CAN YOU REMOVE
YER <zederated> CAST, <zederated> FACE! NOW. GET OUT. YOU DISGUST ME.

Like a boss, baby.
Yes, but watches aren't a necessity in the hospital these days. Machines check heart rates and respiratory rates. Besides, every room has a clock on the wall. We also stopped wearing white skirts, white stockings, and white caps too if you hadn't noticed.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2509
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Timex Ironman Triathlon - all day, every day. And before you ask, no, I don't run triathlons, or Ironman events, or marathons, or...well...pretty much anywhere.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25540
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm
I do not wear a watch and haven't for a very long time. I prefer to navigate life without the oppressive rule of time.
Aren't you in the medical profession?

When can the cast come off? SHUT IT! YOU WORTHLESS SCUM! CAST OFF YOUR OPPRESSION'S! THEN. AND ONLY THEN, CAN YOU REMOVE
YER <zederated> CAST, <zederated> FACE! NOW. GET OUT. YOU DISGUST ME.

Like a boss, baby.
Yes, but watches aren't a necessity in the hospital these days. Machines check heart rates and respiratory rates. Besides, every room has a clock on the wall. We also stopped wearing white skirts, white stockings, and white caps too if you hadn't noticed.
You are dead to me.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

User avatar
Eruannu
Usher
Usher
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Eruannu » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm

I use a activity tracker that is also a watch.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12615
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am

Eruannu wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm
I use a activity tracker that is also a watch.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I have an activity tracker that is also a wife.
Rich Corinthian Leather

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14975
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:47 am

[quote=Roadmaster post_id=1159213 time=1504010502 user_id=785]
[quote=Eruannu post_id=1159199 time=1503977214 user_id=3001]
I use a activity tracker that is also a watch.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
[/quote]
I have an activity tracker that is also a wife.
[/quote]

One's wife is also one's social secretary, Colonel.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32453
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am
Eruannu wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm
I use a activity tracker that is also a watch.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I have an activity tracker that is also a wife.
:rotfl:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 32623
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 am

I've tried on a few occasions to wear a watch, but just couldn't stand something on my wrist. Also tried a pocket watch and often left it due to forgetfulness in putting it back in my pocket. None of this is surprising in light of everything else I do that's similar. I take my ring off every night when I sleep. I empty my pockets when I get to work, when I get home, even when I go to a friend's house. I just don't like "stuff" being attached to me.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25540
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 am
I've tried on a few occasions to wear a watch, but just couldn't stand something on my wrist. Also tried a pocket watch and often left it due to forgetfulness in putting it back in my pocket. None of this is surprising in light of everything else I do that's similar. I take my ring off every night when I sleep. I empty my pockets when I get to work, when I get home, even when I go to a friend's house. I just don't like "stuff" being attached to me.
You one of them naturalists? Hiking in the hills of NC in nothin' but yer birthday suit?

DON'T LOOK, ETHEL!
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19962
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 am

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm
I do not wear a watch and haven't for a very long time. I prefer to navigate life without the oppressive rule of time.
Aren't you in the medical profession?

When can the cast come off? SHUT IT! YOU WORTHLESS SCUM! CAST OFF YOUR OPPRESSION'S! THEN. AND ONLY THEN, CAN YOU REMOVE
YER <zederated> CAST, <zederated> FACE! NOW. GET OUT. YOU DISGUST ME.

Like a boss, baby.
Yes, but watches aren't a necessity in the hospital these days. Machines check heart rates and respiratory rates. Besides, every room has a clock on the wall. We also stopped wearing white skirts, white stockings, and white caps too if you hadn't noticed.
We have one hold-out at a local ER that still wears starched whites. She has several nicknames and most of them contain the word 'iron'. She's been a nurse since before dirt and has utter contempt for anything contemporary.

I'm certain she wears a watch.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS
Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32453
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 am
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm
I do not wear a watch and haven't for a very long time. I prefer to navigate life without the oppressive rule of time.
Aren't you in the medical profession?

When can the cast come off? SHUT IT! YOU WORTHLESS SCUM! CAST OFF YOUR OPPRESSION'S! THEN. AND ONLY THEN, CAN YOU REMOVE
YER <zederated> CAST, <zederated> FACE! NOW. GET OUT. YOU DISGUST ME.

Like a boss, baby.
Yes, but watches aren't a necessity in the hospital these days. Machines check heart rates and respiratory rates. Besides, every room has a clock on the wall. We also stopped wearing white skirts, white stockings, and white caps too if you hadn't noticed.
We have one hold-out at a local ER that still wears starched whites. She has several nicknames and most of them contain the word 'iron'. She's been a nurse since before dirt and has utter contempt for anything contemporary.

I'm certain she wears a watch.
What's her CPS handle?

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14975
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 am
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:18 pm
I do not wear a watch and haven't for a very long time. I prefer to navigate life without the oppressive rule of time.
Aren't you in the medical profession?

When can the cast come off? SHUT IT! YOU WORTHLESS SCUM! CAST OFF YOUR OPPRESSION'S! THEN. AND ONLY THEN, CAN YOU REMOVE
YER <zederated> CAST, <zederated> FACE! NOW. GET OUT. YOU DISGUST ME.

Like a boss, baby.
Yes, but watches aren't a necessity in the hospital these days. Machines check heart rates and respiratory rates. Besides, every room has a clock on the wall. We also stopped wearing white skirts, white stockings, and white caps too if you hadn't noticed.
We have one hold-out at a local ER that still wears starched whites. She has several nicknames and most of them contain the word 'iron'. She's been a nurse since before dirt and has utter contempt for anything contemporary.

I'm certain she wears a watch.
Bet it's one of those upside down brooch watches.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 16944
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am
Eruannu wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 pm
I use a activity tracker that is also a watch.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I have an activity tracker that is also a wife.
:rotfl:
+10

User avatar
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration
Posts: 23828
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Slightly East of Pepik
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Skip » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 am

Don't know about being one of the "them millenials," but I haven't worn a wristwatch since the 80s. I used to scratch the faces, so I went to carrying a wristwatch in my pocket until I got a cellphone. I have a Fossil around here somewhere still in the box (received as a gift), but I don't even remember where I stashed it.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19332
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NoCo (Northern Colorado)

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by FredS » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am

Yes, I'm a man you see. . .
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I had a Fossil that died. Now I have a Timex Expedition:
Image
Rusty wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:59 pm
Yes, Timex Expedition. But I replace the bands with nylon or hemp bands with a velcro closure.
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm
I have . . . a Timex expedition . . .
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:04 pm
I never leave the house without my wallet, wrist watch, handkerchief and a pocketknife. Absent any of these things I would likely feel strange.

My wedding ring never comes off.
My cell phone is often left behind.

I wear the Timex Expedition daily . . .
I see a trend here. I have the two wrist watches shown below, both Timex Expeditions. These are the only two watches I own. The one on the left is perhaps 18 years old. It's the one I wear if I know I'll do any dirty work that day (which is not very often any more) The crystal is scratched and the housing is pitted to hell but it keeps on tickin'. It would still be my every day watch but one of my kids bought the one on the right for me a couple years ago (I picked the exact model and sent her a link). I just put the new leather band on it last week. I replace the bands every 2-3 years when they're so rotten they're about to break. It's funny, but I carry the exact same gear as DP. My hanky is usually a large bandana printed affair, except when I go to a funeral - then I carry two pressed, white hankies. One for me and one to offer any lady I see who needs one.
Image

BTW - At a soccer game last Saturday, Grandson #1 (he's 7 or 8 ) was very proud that he could finally read the time on my watch. The only other analog time keeper in his life is the clock on his classroom wall. I took the watch off and let him wear it for a while. That was a big day for both of us.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5909
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am

Like DP and FredS I carry all those items. But I have several of each and rotate them as the mood strikes, one pocket knife one day and a different one the next, same with the watches...today in honor of this thread, I pulled out the Bulova Aerojet it is an Automatic from the late 50s. Looks like this one but with a gold case.
Image

I started wearing a watch and carrying a pocket knife when I was 7 or 8 and it is very very rare that I am found without both in one form or another.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 32623
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:26 am
I've tried on a few occasions to wear a watch, but just couldn't stand something on my wrist. Also tried a pocket watch and often left it due to forgetfulness in putting it back in my pocket. None of this is surprising in light of everything else I do that's similar. I take my ring off every night when I sleep. I empty my pockets when I get to work, when I get home, even when I go to a friend's house. I just don't like "stuff" being attached to me.
You one of them naturalists? Hiking in the hills of NC in nothin' but yer birthday suit?

DON'T LOOK, ETHEL!
True story.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11045
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm

I have not worn a watch for years. I didn't carry a phone either until I was required to do so for my current job.

Back when I was a house father I wore a watch just like this, but with a black face:
Image

Pretty sure it was a knock-off, as it was inexpensive and has since stopped working, but it was a great watch when I needed one. As soon as I didn't need one I stopped wearing it.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14975
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

So there are only a few of us dumb enough to own mechanical watches. I would have figured durangopipe for one, probably the mechanical Timex he had as a child, lovingly maintained. But he's smart enough not to do that. Mine was my father-in-law's AND a gift from my wife the day we became engaged, so it has enormous sentimental value, but it's also the gift that has pretty massive maintenance bills every few years. By contrast, the watch they gave her for graduation costs us twenty or thirty dollars for a new battery every couple of years and keeps more accurate time.

My children all love the sound of my watch, or at least did when they were really little. You folks are going to laugh at me (again), but I'd really love to own an old steel Omega or similar pocket watch. I'd put a leather buttonhole fob on it and wear it in the breast pocket of my jacket, but I think that's really unlikely. You see, a fellow can either have a crippling shotgun addiction or have a stable of nice watches or a cool car or nice clothes or....
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32453
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by UncleBob » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm
So there are only a few of us dumb enough to own mechanical watches. I would have figured durangopipe for one, probably the mechanical Timex he had as a child, lovingly maintained. But he's smart enough not to do that. Mine was my father-in-law's AND a gift from my wife the day we became engaged, so it has enormous sentimental value, but it's also the gift that has pretty massive maintenance bills every few years. By contrast, the watch they gave her for graduation costs us twenty or thirty dollars for a new battery every couple of years and keeps more accurate time.

My children all love the sound of my watch, or at least did when they were really little. You folks are going to laugh at me (again), but I'd really love to own an old steel Omega or similar pocket watch. I'd put a leather buttonhole fob on it and wear it in the breast pocket of my jacket, but I think that's really unlikely. You see, a fellow can either have a crippling shotgun addiction or have a stable of nice watches or a cool car or nice clothes or....
I own a mechanical pocket watch (Colibri) which I carried for a few years at JFH. I don't think they make it anymore. I used to listen to the ticking to help me sleep; I should dig it out and try that now.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Post Reply