Visiting Wisconsin

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Visiting Wisconsin

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 am

I want any and all of you to come and visit us in Wisconsin. Drop by and we can share a bowl.

Summer is gorgeous here. If you like the mosquitoes wherever you are, ours are better. (Actually, we have the bugs pretty well under control. Warmer climes have it worse.)

We got airplanes everywhere. Mostly in Oshkosh, but every small town has a grass strip. And lots of dairy farmers have a runway out back. Airports are great places to host pancake breakfasts and Brat-n-Bean dinners!

Late August, we even have a big Fly-In Pancake Breakfast in my very own back yard. Y'all come!

You like lakes? Wisconsin has more lakes than Minnesota. Good fishing. Lots of pontoon boats too, mostly for drinking on. We call it a "Barge Party."

Wisconsin is wall-to-wall blondes, all year round. Like Iceland, almost.

Wisconsin girls are way prettier than California girls. (We don't go to California, but we've seen their best on television.)

Gotta mention the cows, I guess. Wouldn't be Wisconsin without some cow jokes.
ImageImage

Wisconsin cows are way better than California cows, too.

Actually, we like our cows culture. Our favorite beer is called "Spotted Cow." It's really good, and you can't get it much outside of Wisconsin.

Winter is even more fun than summer. Our sleds have motors. If you don't know how to have fun in winter, we can show you. Our sledding trails cross fields and woods, linking from bar to bar.

Share the road.

We spend a lot of the winter drinking. We drink all summer too... but winter is an especially good season for drinking. We favor brandy.

If you don't believe me, here is Lewis Black's testimony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WlwumGkSec

Something for everyone here...
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Visiting Wisconsin

Post by Rusty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Isn't the FRF (Freedom From Religion) HQ in WI? That should be on your tour.
The bugs get worse as one goes north. There are mosquitoes so big in N. Canada that they can carry away a small child.

I like the blondes. Is WI really like Iceland? I thought the irreligious Scandinavians were responsible for all the blondes.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Del

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Rusty wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:04 pm
Isn't the FRF (Freedom From Religion) HQ in WI? That should be on your tour.
The bugs get worse as one goes north. There are mosquitoes so big in N. Canada that they carry away a small child.
Yes... FRF are headquartered in the "Hippies" region of Wisconsin. Most of Wisconsin is full of common folks. But there are some exotic species to enjoy around Madison.

And we've heard that Canada still has Ice Age-sized mosquitoes "further up nort".

Last edited by Del on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm

I've been to WI. As luck would have it, I ran in to Mrs Del. Regretfully, she was with her husband. We still enjoyed our time with her.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:11 pm
I've been to WI. As luck would have it, I ran in to Mrs Del. Regretfully, she was with her husband. We still enjoyed our time with her.
Sweetandsour visited Wisconsin. He did not meet Mrs. Del, and he never mentions coming here. We met at a cigar bar on Madison's capitol square. Madison's capitol square is a weird place, and ymmv depending on how weird you like it.

Dasmokeryaget visited Wisconsin. He met Cigarson. We visited the lamest ever bluegrass music festival. No one was there, and I mean no one. It's like they were having the music party elsewhere, and they gave us the wrong date or address so that we wouldn't show up.

Neither experience is typical of Wisconsin. You should all come and have a good time.

I'm having a Pit Barrel Barbecue party on Oct 7-8, to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary (i.e., Lepanto) with some friends from church. Come on up, if you like ribs and watching a yard full of kids.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:15 pm

There's still plenty of room left, if you want to come.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I was in Sun Prairie recently for some consulting work, but I was there on someone else's dime and was in and out without any time on my own. I'm hoping to go back soon with a little free time.

A meet-up with Del would be this cool: :cheese:

Del

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:51 pm
I was in Sun Prairie recently for some consulting work, but I was there on someone else's dime and was in and out without any time on my own. I'm hoping to go back soon with a little free time.

Sun Prairie is just 20 minutes from my home. I wish you had poked me.... we might have hung out at the smoking station by the door for a bit.

Or maybe hands at the airport before you went through security.
Last edited by Del on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm
JimVH wrote:

Sun Prairie is just 20 minutes from my home. I wish you had poked me.... we might have hung out at the smoking station by the door for a bit.

Or shook hands at the airport before you went through security.
I will make sure to next time.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:

On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't meet at the airport. I can hear the conversation already, just before the handcuffs come out:
Wisconsin Lady - "Officer, there's a guy in a kilt walking around asking everybody if they've have seen a guy in a bow tie come through."
TSA - "Yes, that does sound weirdly suspicious. We must handle this immediately! Thank you for your concern, citizen!"
Wisconsin Lady - "No problem, officer. Just doing my part. Thank you for your service!"

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:

On the other hand, maybe we shouldn't meet at the airport. I can hear the conversation already, just before the handcuffs come out:
Wisconsin Lady - "Officer, there's a guy in a kilt walking around asking everybody if they've have seen a guy in a bow tie come through."
TSA - "Yes, that does sound weirdly suspicious. We must handle this immediately! Thank you for your concern, citizen!"
Wisconsin Lady - "No problem, officer. Just doing my part. Thank you for your service!"
:lol:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:29 am

Should I be able to visit, I shall expect a bear hug.

I should bring Morley with me also.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 am

I visited Wisconsin once when I was a boy. I went to Wisconsin Dells and a cheese factory. All I remember about Wisconsin Dells is the large peacocks. All I remember about the cheese factory is that it stank horribly.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Del

Post by Del » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 am

coco wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:29 am
Should I be able to visit, I shall expect a bear hug.

I should bring Morley with me also.
We will also have barbecue!
Cleon wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 am

I visited Wisconsin once when I was a boy. I went to Wisconsin Dells and a cheese factory. All I remember about Wisconsin Dells is the large peacocks. All I remember about the cheese factory is that it stank horribly.
I have never been to a cheese factory.

A yellow crop duster pilot is operating out of our back yard this morning. He just landed for a refill.

Fun to watch during my morning bowl and coffee.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 am

Drove through the northern part of Wisconsin in mid to late September many years back. I think it was Nicolette Natl Forest that I found so beautiful with it's Birch and Maple forests.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 am
Drove through the northern part of Wisconsin in mid to late September many years back. I think it was Nicolette Natl Forest that I found so beautiful with it's Birch and Maple forests.
Light anything on fire? Are you the origin of smoked cheddar?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 am
Goose55 wrote:
That would be one old Goose!

It was almost 150 years ago, but the Great Peshtigo Fire is still the largest wildfire in US history. Some 2000 people died. But since it happened on the same day as the famous Great Chicago Fire, it is largely forgotten.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

You can visit Green Bay and Door County, and learn how Wikipedia has it all wrong.

You can also visit the National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help, where a community of Belgian immigrants were saved by miraculous intervention. Mary had appeared at this site some years early, and this village was under her protection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... _Good_Help

It's still a little place. You can see it all in less than an hour. They have parts of the wooden fence which were charred on the outside facing the wildfire.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

It was almost 150 years ago, but the Great Peshtigo Fire is still the largest wildfire in US history. Some 2000 people died. But since it happened on the same day as the famous Great Chicago Fire, it is largely forgotten.

You can visit Green Bay and Door County, and learn how Wikipedia has it all wrong.

You can also visit the National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help, where a community of Belgian immigrants were saved by miraculous intervention. Mary had appeared at this site some years early, and this village was under her protection.

It's still a little place. You can see it all in less than an hour. They have parts of the wooden fence which were charred on the outside facing the wildfire.

Huh. She saved Belgians, eh? The mysteries never end.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:02 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Huh. She saved Belgians, eh? The mysteries never end.
I know, right?

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Cleon wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 am
I visited Wisconsin once when I was a boy. I went to Wisconsin Dells . . .
OMG. There's more than one?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe