Wasn't The World Supposed To End Again?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Wasn't The World Supposed To End Again?

Post by SlowToke » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:19 am

I thought the world was supposed to end again yesterday. Did I miss it yet again?
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: Wasn't The World Supposed To End Again?

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:19 am
I thought the world was supposed to end again yesterday. Did I miss it yet again?
Yesterday was a rapture for select Catholics, a few celebrities, Harold Camping, and Dispensationalists who use big charts to teach (including UncleBob, of course). The second rapture is coming sooooooooon! We have been Left BehindTM, but only for a little while, so that we can warn others.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 am

ETAOIN SHRDLU
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am

coco wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 am
SlowToke wrote:
Yesterday was a rapture for select Catholics, a few celebrities, Harold Camping, and Dispensationalists who use big charts to teach (including UncleBob, of course). The second rapture is coming sooooooooon! We have been Left BehindTM, but only for a little while, so that we can warn others.
Camping will miss the rapture regardless. He died in 2011.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 am

coco wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
LOL! You've been weighed, measured, against the standards and principles of your own religion, and found wanting. So you remain.

You might as well join the atheists. Don't assume that this change means you have to change your life. You can continue just as you are and simply not believe. Don't give up your community nor your friends. Just keep doing the same thing.

What's the benefit? Next time you'll again be left behind but you will feel that you belong. You will understand and accept that your life continues.

I've been watching the parade of NND (newb newly dead) going on their orientation tour of hell and heaven and I haven't seen even one individual for whom the cause of death is rapture. Another reason to join the atheists. Also, and I want you to brace yourselves, but according to Markus Gabriel the world doesn't exist. Wos recommended him to me. It should dramatically reduce any worry that the nonexistent could be destroyed. Enjoy the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzvesGB_TI0
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am

+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 am
Also, and I want you to brace yourselves, but according to Markus Gabriel the world doesn't exist. Wos recommended him to me.

That's a great talk. I'd posted that before. I'd figgered that you'd might have watched it. Better late than never, I s'pose. :wink:

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:59 am

I just can't wrap my head around how so many can be so wrong all the time about this.

:youcrazy:
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 am
coco wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Camping will miss the rapture regardless. He died in 2011.
You sound as though you doubt the prophets.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:35 am
ETAOIN SHRDLU
TOM MARVELO RIDDLE

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:43 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:28 am
+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 am
Also, and I want you to brace yourselves, but according to Markus Gabriel the world doesn't exist. Wos recommended him to me.

That's a great talk. I'd posted that before. I'd figgered that you'd might have watched it. Better late than never, I s'pose. :wink:
You've recommended all sorts of interesting stuff so of course I'm going to look. I enjoyed woofys stuff a lot. I guess I missed the last posting of the video. I had never heard of Gabriel before. I'm critical anyway but I'm unsure what his purpose is. What problem is he trying to solve? Also usually there is a discussion - so who are the other professional peer parties to his discussion? I think it's not the public. I do realize that he is marketing his book. But speaking frankly, it's not connected to most of us.

If he introduces an intractable definition of the "world" (which seems endemic to philosophy) as the "maximal totality of all spatial temporal things" and then finds that it has problems, in that it doesn't include everything (this depends again on more definitions), that threaten its utility and therefore its existence, as defined, I'm not really surprised. He also obscures the idea of things, attributes of things, even fictional things ie unicorns. Because we can talk about all of them (use language to refer to them) then they must all exist in some sense. But the lesson is that many of the 'things' do not have any spatial-temporal locality. Big surprise. These are usually cultural conventions, fictional things, attributes of things, and concepts - which he finally does acknowledge. But he's really quite satisfied because he has shown that the world is not everything. There is a lot missing. And he concludes quite rightly that his problematic definition isn't adequate and disposes of the "world". Language is a tough media for analysis. It is entangled with all sorts of vagueness and ambiguity connected with our experience. This happens in science too but science usually has another language which is quite precise.

Conventionally "the world" refers to our planet Earth and perhaps the experience of living here. We have no experience of living anywhere else. Everything we see beyond us (in the universe) we see in the past. We've never lived anywhere beyond Earth. We have only theoretical ideas about the universe's current state. That we have any idea about the universe beyond Earth is more fantastic than his odd claims about "world". I was surprised at his choice of definition. And his idea that we categorize things in buckets (like "world") because otherwise there are an infinity of them and that apparently causes fear. It's not that enumerating them individually takes a long time so a handy bucket would be nice. He should wander over to the local University Mathematics dept and have a discussion about infinity. Mathematicians love infinity so much so that there are many infinities all courtesy of Mathematicians. And they actually exist. Also his occasional references to number and the scientific view of the world are equally odd. It's as if he doesn't understand the purpose of science. BTW scientists do the same thing he did ie introducing problematic definitions using ordinary words in a vernacular that means something quite different ie The Theory of Everything. And it's OK if he does too. It's at least entertaining. I know why the physicists do this - it's a descriptive common vernacular for a different idea that has no short label, but has a longer problem statement.
Last edited by Rusty on Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:59 am
I just can't wrap my head around how so many can be so wrong all the time about this.

It's pretty simple, really.....

Jesus told us we don't know when; no one knows when.

So if the Bible is really true, then those "biblical" predictors will always be wrong.

What I can't wrap my mind around is this: Why do they keep trying?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm
Joshoowah wrote:

So if the Bible is really true, then those "biblical" predictors will always be wrong.

Humans believe they can solve problems and determine the answer. It's really a part of our nature. Being told that it's not for us to know is just a motivating challenge. I'm surprised that you ask. At 5 yo I used to take a razor blade to all the wrapped Xmas presents to learn, in advance of Xmas, what was in them. You, like my parents, could argue that this detracts from the experience in addition to being against the rules of Xmas presents. That never deterred me. Hiding the answer is the very best motivation.

Hypothetically speaking, if the planet is destroyed do you really think that anyone will "enjoy" rapture and be removed from death in the destruction? Let me remind you of Bob's question - why do bad things happen to good people?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:34 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm
Joshoowah wrote:

Humans believe they can solve problems and determine the answer. It's really a part of our nature. Being told that it's not for us to know is just a motivating challenge. I'm surprised that you ask. At 5 yo I used to take a razor blade to all the wrapped Xmas presents to learn, in advance of Xmas, what was in them. You, like my parents, could argue that this detracts from the experience in addition to being against the rules of Xmas presents. That never deterred me. Hiding the answer is the very best motivation.

Hypothetically speaking, if the planet is destroyed do you really think that anyone will "enjoy" rapture and be removed from death in the destruction? Let me remind you of Bob's question - why do bad things happen to good people?
You are right. In fact, the whole "rapture" phenomenon was caused by a guy who put together a great big chart of unrelated Bible passages to create the secret knowledge. And look at how popular it has become!

As for your hypothetical query... I have no idea. The popularity of the Left Behind books and movies is founded on the adventures that not-so-good people have while enduring persecutions by an unchecked secular tyranny.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm

You guys are still there. I'm here in paradise. The internet is super fast. You should have headed the warnings.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:31 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:22 pm
You guys are still there. I'm here in paradise. The internet is super fast. You should have headed the warnings.
I've heard they have badass wifi. I wish I hadn't slept in and missed it.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Spell checkers don't seem to have improved, and Del's still Delsplaining. I call Bullpucky.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Skip wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:24 pm
CodeMonkey wrote:
Spell checkers don't seem to have improved, and Del's still Delsplaining. I call Bullpucky.
The first is because the WiFi is offered from Hell. It's likely his access device is from Hell too. You can guess that the messages of an admitted Christian will be tampered with. I think changing "heeded" to headed is pretty mild. Check his IP address. Could be that he's not in heaven. If he's in hell then what possible motivation exists to tell the truth? Del is still Del. If Del changes that's a very serious warning sign.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Silly slowtoke.

The world ended in 1914, 1916, and for the last time in 1975.

Sock puppets. That's all we've been and seen since 1975.

So.

You up for a rootbeer float? My treat.

Dude.

I got jesters Visa card. Extra toppings, baby.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm
Silly slowtoke.

The world ended in 1914, 1916, and for the last time in 1975.

Sock puppets. That's all we've been and seen since 1975.

So.

You up for a rootbeer float? My treat.

Dude.

Wait.....does that mean I'm in purgatory? I'll be dog; Del was right all this time.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm
Dude.

8O 8O
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson