My Favorite Sports Car

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm
Nice! Does it have a 427 in it?
No. The engine is a 1990 SBF (I call it a 302, but the kids call it a 5.0), bored oversized, reworked steel heads with huge valves and roller rockers, a lumpy Ford Racing E303 cam, and stock fuel injection.

Cobras from 62-64 had SBF's (289ci which is the same block as my 302ci with smaller bores). From 65-67 on they had the 427ci engines. The bigger engine needed a better chassis so the frame and body were changed to what was called the '427 Cobra'. The body on mine is modeled after the 427 Cobra even though it has the smaller engine. Kinda weird, I know. It's titled as a 1965 Ford Roadster because that's what it most resembles.
Still more engine than a little roadster needs so It's good enough to be awesome!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:09 am

For those with time on their hands, to build such a remarkably detailed model, checkout Tamiya. They have many sports cars in their inventory. Here's the Tamiya 1/12 scale (15 inch long) model of the Enzo Ferrari being built. This vid obviously leaves out a lot of the assembly, but shows the main sub-assemblies being joined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcYiMg4NmKQ
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 am

Many of you have likely seen this classic viddy, which is one of the greatest sportscar films ever made in my opinion,
so it should be in this thread...

:

:

:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvDXlDxMnb4

:

:

:
Last edited by philofumo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 am

As for my personal tastes concerning as favorite car, it'd be difficult for me to pin down because there are so many worthy candidates, but since I'm a fan of rallycars I'll go ahead and pick a street-legal homologation special even though I'd also love to have a works version kitted out to loose surface spec...

...now only if that car also magically imbued me with the incredible driving abilities of a fearless Flying Finn,
then I'd be good 'n goldenbrown.

One of my faves to watch here,
navigator says "Oh ... Dear God" at around 2:02
:!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l19F2YPVey0

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 am

A proper OFG's favorite sportscar would undoubtedly be a well-sorted classic Bentley.

Although this one is a bit bonkers and over-the-top as it's fitted with a 27 liter V12 Merlin aero motor!

Looks to be much fun, if you aren't interested in the tech details, skip to 8:16 where he takes it out for a drive on the streets of Los Angeles,
a smile inducing torque monster and a true behemoth of an automobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I3Cl1RICg

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 pm

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am

:idea:

A different sort of motorsport,
quintessentially British?
Documentary narrator asks:

"...just who are these people who give up their Sundays to climb hills with motorcars?"

:?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfMPE940pYI
I'll take a Liege please.

https://www.liegecars.co.uk/

Jollygood fun stuff!
:!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drNeIng2mco

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm

I saw on eBay a few of these Mattel / Matchbox 1:18 scale ('bout 12 inches) die cast Enzos, including the original boxes, and I won two of them. Why two? Heck, I don't know. I will likely keep the one that is in best shape and spruce up and sell the other.

I got both for a total of $100, including Priority shipping on both.

Seems to me that a car that sold for $640,000 in 2002 that is now selling for $3,000.000 would also raise the demand for models of that car . Maybe this will be a new hobby for me. I sure do love this Enzo Ferrari.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:31 pm
I saw on eBay a few of these Mattel / Matchbox 1:18 scale ('bout 12 inches) die cast Enzos, including the original boxes, and I won two of them. Why two? Heck, I don't know. I will likely keep the one that is in best shape and spruce up and sell the other.

Seems to me that a car that sold for $640,000 in 2002 that is now selling for $3,000.000 would also raise the demand for models of that car . Maybe this will be a new hobby for me. I sure do love this Enzo Ferrari.

I know you aren't doing it, but I can't help but think of a retired gentleman on his hands and knees pushing a toy car around and making vroom-vroom gear shifting noises.

Like I said, I know you aren't doing it. But the thought somebody else might be makes my day.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm
Goose55 wrote:

I know you aren't doing it, but I can't help but think of a retired gentleman on his hands and knees pushing a toy car around and making vroom-vroom gear shifting noises.

Like I said, I know you aren't doing it. But the thought somebody else might be makes my day.
I love the design of the Enzo. Wish I could afford a real one. This is the next best thing. vroom-vroom

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:18 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:13 pm
Goose55 wrote:

I love the design of the Enzo. Wish I could afford a real one. This is the next best thing. vroom-vroom
I've shared this story before, but it's worth repeating.

Mrs FredS and I were at the mall a few winters ago. I stayed in the car to listen to the football game while Mrs FredS did what Mrs FredS does. A very old man and woman parked a few spots over. She was driving. She opened his door, helped him out, handed him his cane, and steadied him as they headed towards Target. He spied a brand new Jaguar F-type and stopped to look at it. She tugged at his sleeve. He swatted her hand away and motioned for her to go on in. Then he slowly walked around the car. Three times. He grinned and chuckled as he headed in to meet his wife. I think his step was a bit jauntier.

That old guy was a car guy through and through. When Mrs FredS returned I told her to shoot me if I ever quit looking at cars. So yeah, make all the vroom vroom sounds you like Goose.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 am

and