My Favorite Sports Car

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:36 am

What's your favorite sports car? If you can, or could afford one, which would it be? Here would be mine. A 2002 Ferrari Enzo. The 1st Ferrari Formula 1 race car designed for the street....

Only 399 produced
Sold when new for U.S.$659,000
680 HP V12 engine
Top speed: 217 mph
0 - 60 in 3.5 seconds
10 mpg highway mileage

Test drive one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ECJJ5iGzly8
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm

"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm

This is a Ferrari 458. WITH ME BEHIND THE WHEEL! My wife bought me one of those 'drive-a-dream-car' deals. Thank you, Groupon.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm
This is a Ferrari 458. WITH ME BEHIND THE WHEEL! My wife bought me one of those 'drive-a-dream-car' deals. Thank you, Groupon.

Ferraris are the real deal.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm a simple man.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm
I'm a simple man.
I am too. My only vehicle is a 22 year old Toyota pick up truck. It's a nice one, a 4WD SR5, but still old, though it doesn't look all that old. It's white and has weathered the years, and miles, well.

Still would be nice to have that Ferrari Enzo, though. If only for a day

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm
Is there a test "drive" vid for this one, Jim?

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 pm
I'm a simple man.
I am too. My only vehicle is a 22 year old Toyota pick up truck. It's a nice one, a 4WD SR5, but still old, though it doesn't look all that old. It's white and has weathered the years, and miles, well.

Still would be nice to have that Ferrari Enzo, though. If only for a day
If I was told I could have any car this VW would be what I'd pick.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm
JimVH wrote:
I don't know of any serious ones. I was partially tongue in cheek when I posted that. I do think they are fun cars and we have a couple of them around here decked out for SCCA stuff. I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees it has sports car potential.

If I truly could have the sports car of my choice it would be the Nissan GTR. I've had a fair amount of exposure to them and they've earned my respect. It's a badass car.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm

Lamborghini Centenario

I presently drive a fifteen-year-old truck with little paint on the top or hood.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:28 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm
JimVH wrote:
I don't know of any serious ones. I was partially tongue in cheek when I posted that. I do think they are fun cars and we have a couple of them around here decked out for SCCA stuff. I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who agrees it has sports car potential.

If I truly could have the sports car of my choice it would be the Nissan GTR. I've had a fair amount of exposure to them and they've earned my respect. It's a badass car.
I can picture you in a Cube.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 pm

I bought a Triumph Spitfire in 1970. Probably among the slowest (especially after the 327 '62 Chevy I shared with a buddy in high school), worst handling cars of all time - but I loved it.

The most nostalgia laden dream car of my youth, the stuff of teenage dreams, was the Shelby Ford GT-40.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 pm
I bought a Triumph Spitfire in 1970. Probably among the slowest (especially after the 327 '62 Chevy I shared with a buddy in high school), worst handling cars of all time - but I loved it.

The most nostalgia laden dream car of my youth, the stuff of teenage dreams, was the Shelby Ford GT-40.
The GT-40 was Detroit's answer to the Ferrari Enzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=7CXXjVcSmws

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=7CXXjVcSmws
Ford GT, not the GT-40. Just sayin'...
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 am

I'm not really a big car guy, but for some reason, the Shelby Cobra has always grabbed me.

And, does the Monza count? My uncle had one rusting away in his yard, and I wanted so bad as a 16-year-old to fix it up.

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:56 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:44 pm
durangopipe wrote:

And the Ford creamed Ferrari at Le Mans, finishing 1,2 and 3 in 1966, and it continued to beat Ferrari through much of the late 60s, when it was the car of my teenage dreams.

1966 FORD GT40 MK1 LE MANS RACE CAR:

Not referring to the recent version.

The argument over whether GT-40 was a just a popular nickname or the official name of the Ford GT race car project, and therefore the car, rages on; but yeah, the proper name for the 60s race version is most likely simply Ford GT.

So you can send me one of those, or a '64-'65 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coup:

It came out the year I got my driver's license. I drove thousands of miles in one - in my dreams.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 am

This is the AC Ace Bristol Roadster

This is the '62-'63 AC Ace on Drugs (early Ford 260 Shelby Cobra):

Don't do drugs.
M'kay.

If you're feeling flush, send me one of these early Cobras, too.

Thanks Goose.

(Should this be moved to the Gearhead thread?)

J.R.R. Tolkien

Roderick Haig-Brown

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am

I love sports cars, but I am a big guy and have always been so...I don't fit...I had a buddy in high school who had a TR7 and his older brother had a TR3 and there was a girl my senior year who had an MG...I just didn't fit in those cars...so I was and am a Muscle Car guy...give me a 64 Galaxy 500, a 67 GTO, a 69 Mach I the list goes on and on
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 am

My choice for sports car is:
1000 point Show car trailer queen is a 1957 Corvette F.I.
If I was going to drive said sports car it would be a new Dodge Demon.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:27 pm

This isn't a sports car but it was exotic. At 17 years old, I had a car with this engine,.. a 426 Chrysler Hemi, in a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner, with the "Meep, Meep!" horn. Dang near killed myself with it. No 17 year old should have such a car. Those do look like the two 750 CFM Carter four barrel carburetors on the engine I had. There was a definite hard feel in the gas pedal when I pressed into the 2nd carburetor.

The car was painting like this, with gold & silver diamond flake under the lacquer clear coat, but without the decals. Except for the roadrunner decals. It had those on the sides of the front fenders.

Last edited by Goose55 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.