My Favorite Sports Car

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19256
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am
I love sports cars, but I am a big guy and have always been so...I don't fit...I had a buddy in high school who had a TR7 and his older brother had a TR3 and there was a girl my senior year who had an MG...I just didn't fit in those cars...so I was and am a Muscle Car guy...give me a 64 Galaxy 500, a 67 GTO, a 69 Mach I the list goes on and on
Here's the cockpit of my Cobra (replica, duh). I started building this thing about 12 years ago and I wanted 'racing seats' but it's tight in there so I had to squeeze the butt-bolsters in to make them fit. It was no problem 12 years ago, but now I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs and it's a tight fit. Good news is that I can take corners like a mad man and not slide around in the seat.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
vwdeano
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Filled with Guilt and Shame over My Cherry Aro Addiction
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by vwdeano » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 am

has to be the jag XKE... not the fastest, not the best handling, but competent and GORGEOUS...

Of course, as a "not small" guy, I might not even fit in the cockpit, but I love 'em...
Dean
"A dog is the only thing that loves you more than he loves himself"

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am
I love sports cars, but I am a big guy and have always been so...I don't fit...I had a buddy in high school who had a TR7 and his older brother had a TR3 and there was a girl my senior year who had an MG...I just didn't fit in those cars...so I was and am a Muscle Car guy...give me a 64 Galaxy 500, a 67 GTO, a 69 Mach I the list goes on and on
Here's the cockpit of my Cobra (replica, duh). I started building this thing about 12 years ago and I wanted 'racing seats' but it's tight in there so I had to squeeze the butt-bolsters in to make them fit. It was no problem 12 years ago, but now I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs and it's a tight fit. Good news is that I can take corners like a mad man and not slide around in the seat.

Image
That is VERY VERY COOL!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4277
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am
I love sports cars, but I am a big guy and have always been so...I don't fit...I had a buddy in high school who had a TR7 and his older brother had a TR3 and there was a girl my senior year who had an MG...I just didn't fit in those cars...so I was and am a Muscle Car guy...give me a 64 Galaxy 500, a 67 GTO, a 69 Mach I the list goes on and on
Here's the cockpit of my Cobra (replica, duh). I started building this thing about 12 years ago and I wanted 'racing seats' but it's tight in there so I had to squeeze the butt-bolsters in to make them fit. It was no problem 12 years ago, but now I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs and it's a tight fit. Good news is that I can take corners like a mad man and not slide around in the seat.

Image
That is VERY VERY COOL!
:thumbsup:

Drive it down to Durango!
You're gonna so love the mountain roads.

Do you have a 401k set aside for speeding tickets?
As your self-appointed financial advisor I strongly recommend creating one. It will be worth ever penny.

Oh, and get a lid for your pipes (likely preaching choir here).

More photos!!

One word: Holy Cow!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien



Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Could never afford an Enzo, unless someone shared their lotto winnings with me, but I see this 15 inch long, 1/12 scale highly detailed model. But it's $490..

http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-enzo-fe ... cale-12047
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 32285
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm

This'll do, pig. This'll do:
Image
1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by hugodrax » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:16 pm
This'll do, pig. This'll do:
Image
1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Oh my, yes. My birth year Land Cruiser. I'd settle for a Defender.

To be a little more in the spirit of things, I've tried for years to convince the wife that a Quattroporto would be nice. I could put the kids in the back. She said no to the Lancia I really want so why not compromise?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names
Posts: 2047
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by joegoat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:32 am
I love sports cars, but I am a big guy and have always been so...I don't fit...I had a buddy in high school who had a TR7 and his older brother had a TR3 and there was a girl my senior year who had an MG...I just didn't fit in those cars...so I was and am a Muscle Car guy...give me a 64 Galaxy 500, a 67 GTO, a 69 Mach I the list goes on and on
Here's the cockpit of my Cobra (replica, duh). I started building this thing about 12 years ago and I wanted 'racing seats' but it's tight in there so I had to squeeze the butt-bolsters in to make them fit. It was no problem 12 years ago, but now I'm carrying an extra 30 lbs and it's a tight fit. Good news is that I can take corners like a mad man and not slide around in the seat.

Image
Nice! Does it have a 427 in it?
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19256
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm

joegoat wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm
Nice! Does it have a 427 in it?
No. The engine is a 1990 SBF (I call it a 302, but the kids call it a 5.0), bored oversized, reworked steel heads with huge valves and roller rockers, a lumpy Ford Racing E303 cam, and stock fuel injection.

Cobras from 62-64 had SBF's (289ci which is the same block as my 302ci with smaller bores). From 65-67 on they had the 427ci engines. The bigger engine needed a better chassis so the frame and body were changed to what was called the '427 Cobra'. The body on mine is modeled after the 427 Cobra even though it has the smaller engine. Kinda weird, I know. It's titled as a 1965 Ford Roadster because that's what it most resembles.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27112
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by coco » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm
Nice! Does it have a 427 in it?
No. The engine is a 1990 SBF (I call it a 302, but the kids call it a 5.0), bored oversized, reworked steel heads with huge valves and roller rockers, a lumpy Ford Racing E303 cam, and stock fuel injection.

Cobras from 62-64 had SBF's (289ci which is the same block as my 302ci with smaller bores). From 65-67 on they had the 427ci engines. The bigger engine needed a better chassis so the frame and body were changed to what was called the '427 Cobra'. The body on mine is modeled after the 427 Cobra even though it has the smaller engine. Kinda weird, I know. It's titled as a 1965 Ford Roadster because that's what it most resembles.
I want you to give me a ride the next time I'm in town.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4745
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 pm

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12565
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm
joegoat wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:51 pm
Nice! Does it have a 427 in it?
No. The engine is a 1990 SBF (I call it a 302, but the kids call it a 5.0), bored oversized, reworked steel heads with huge valves and roller rockers, a lumpy Ford Racing E303 cam, and stock fuel injection.

Cobras from 62-64 had SBF's (289ci which is the same block as my 302ci with smaller bores). From 65-67 on they had the 427ci engines. The bigger engine needed a better chassis so the frame and body were changed to what was called the '427 Cobra'. The body on mine is modeled after the 427 Cobra even though it has the smaller engine. Kinda weird, I know. It's titled as a 1965 Ford Roadster because that's what it most resembles.
Do you run Historic Tags on it?
Image

User avatar
SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend
Posts: 8379
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Cloverdale, IN
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by SlowToke » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:39 am

I'm not really much of a sports car kinda guy because, like others, I'm just too big for them. I prefer American muscle cars. I would love to have a 1968 Chevy Camaro RS Z28.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:24 am

SlowToke wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:39 am
I'm not really much of a sports car kinda guy because, like others, I'm just too big for them. I prefer American muscle cars. I would love to have a 1968 Chevy Camaro RS Z28.
One of the cool things about sports cars is the knowledge that one will never own one. It's the most completely subjective taste imaginable. Do you want a Ferrari, an Astin Martin, or a specialized rally or endurance car? Do you think little Mazdas count? Are you Safari Bob? An American muscle car can drag race--why isn't it a sports car?

It's the perfect cps subject. There's no need for any actual first hand knowledge.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19256
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm

coco wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm
I want you to give me a ride the next time I'm in town.
Mrs FredS cried, literally like a girl, the first time I gave her a ride in it. Evidently, not everyone enjoys scary-fast speed. I have to be very conscientious about how I drive when she's along. Which luckily, is not often.
Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 am
Do you run Historic Tags on it?
I was going to, but have not. I haven't even kept the registration current for the last few years.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19256
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Goose - You realize the Ferrari's in the videos you posted are not real cars, right?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Goose - You realize the Ferrari's in the videos you posted are not real cars, right?
Well, it's about as close to a test drive as I'm ever going to get.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19256
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by FredS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:51 pm
FredS wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm
Goose - You realize the Ferrari's in the videos you posted are not real cars, right?
Well, it's about as close to a test drive as I'm ever going to get.
A few years ago, we vacationed in La Jolla, CA with the wife's extended family. There's a crazy lot of money around there and downtown there's a Ferrari dealer on one corner and a Maserati dealer on the corner across the street. Every time I went by I wondered what it would take to get a test drive. Probably a different deal than at CarMax.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12565
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm

I was going to, but have not. I haven't even kept the registration current for the last few years.
That's the good thing about Historic Tags.
One time fee of $25.50 for tags that never expire and you are not required to ever get a safety inspection.
Image

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27112
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by coco » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:14 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:27 pm
coco wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm
I want you to give me a ride the next time I'm in town.
Mrs FredS cried, literally like a girl, the first time I gave her a ride in it. Evidently, not everyone enjoys scary-fast speed. I have to be very conscientious about how I drive when she's along. Which luckily, is not often.
Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:47 am
Do you run Historic Tags on it?
I was going to, but have not. I haven't even kept the registration current for the last few years.
I shall endeavor not to cry like a girl.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Post Reply