My Favorite Sports Car

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: My Favorite Sports Car

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 pm

Jocose wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:15 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:01 pm
Picked up three red Enzo Ferraris this morning and two of them are parked safely in my garage...

Driving the third?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vyWe1g2-o

Goose at the wheel.
Believe me. I learned my lessons early. If I had one of these real ones, this would not happen.

The images on that vid just have me saying "what a waste." Rich people are intelligent? Maybe so, but their off spring may not be.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 am

Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 pm
Jocose wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:15 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:01 pm
Picked up three red Enzo Ferraris this morning and two of them are parked safely in my garage...

Driving the third?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C0vyWe1g2-o

Goose at the wheel.
Believe me. I learned my lessons early. If I had one of these real ones, this would not happen.

The images on that vid just have me saying "what a waste." Rich people are intelligent? Maybe so, but their off spring may not be.
I'm not sure if it's a matter of intelligence VS too much car for an inexperienced driver of high performance vehicles.

You see this with motorcycles as well.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 am
I'm not sure if it's a matter of intelligence VS too much car for an inexperienced driver of high performance vehicles.

I once saw Mario Andretti (who liked to say that if you're not driving on the edge, you're taking up too much space) on a TV show where he and the programs host were looking at Jap bikes in a parking lot. Mario said the first thing he does is look at the tires - he can tell how aggressive the rider is by how far around the side walls the tires are scuffed or worn.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 am

They may be lacking in brains but not riding skills.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FiKNZAHvfc
Current Superhero: Departed Light

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:04 am

You better edit that post to add a disclaimer saying you don't condone street racing or stunts before the safety nazi's rap your knuckles.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:04 am
You better edit that post to add a disclaimer saying you don't condone street racing or stunts before the safety nazi's rap your knuckles.
I don't condone it at all but they are entertaining.
Check out these crazies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7I7mgO3qs

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
Jocose wrote:

I once saw Mario Andretti (who liked to say that if you're not driving on the edge, you're taking up too much space) on a TV show where he and the programs host were looking at Jap bikes in a parking lot. Mario said the first thing he does is look at the tires - he can tell how aggressive the rider is by how far around the side walls the tires are scuffed or worn.
The basic rule that will keep you alive on a motorcycle is "Never ride above your skill level"

Probably goes for fast cars too.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:06 am
Jocose wrote:

The basic rule that will keep you alive on a motorcycle is "Never ride above your skill level"

Probably goes for fast cars too.
I see the wisdom in that. If you never want to take the training wheels off that is.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:12 pm

O.K. You know I like the Enzo Ferrari. Here are a few pix I made of a new, in box 1:18 scale Enzo Ferrari I recently found on eBay for only $30. It is of diecast metal and plastic, about 10 inches long and weighs about 3 pounds. Made by Mattel/ Match Box. In the 1st pic one can clearly see the disc brake drums inside the wheels. A very highly detailed piece of work.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 pm

This is a photo of my friend, Bryan's, restored MGA currently on loan for a display at the Forney Museum of Transportation in Denver (he just sent it to me):

A classic "barn find," it was a dirt and dust covered rusted out hulk with a badly bent frame that he spent over 20 years restoring. Everything works flawlessly (no small feat considering the Lucas electrical system), including the tube, AM radio. (He powder coated the frame!)

Some early stages of the restoration:

First engine start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcfNhgve2io

If that video doesn't warm your heart, you're not a car guy.

First gassing up:

Bryan is the only person I know whose father bought him a personalized subscription (name embossed in gold on each issue cover) of Automobile Quarterly when he was a child and maintained the subscription until he was an adult.

He showed up freshman year at college in a Jaguar XK 120.
I didn't have a car. I wanted to hate him. Couldn't. Too nice. Too smart. Too talented. We've been best friends for 50 years.

When younger, he was a Formula Ford race car driver for a Denver printing and graphics firm that maintained a Formula Ford race team.
His father was head of design at Ford for years.

Bryan is a real car dude.

Go see it if you're near Denver!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:43 pm

For style, there are only two:

The C3 Corvette

The Jaguar E Type

Time is getting short, but I still intend to have a C3 before I die.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:43 pm
For style, there are only two:

The C3 Corvette

The Jaguar E Type

Time is getting short, but I still intend to have a C3 before I die.
The rubber bumper C3's are affordable, the chrome bumper C3's are kinda pricey but you know that.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:44 pm

The 1:18 Matchbox Enzo in yellow is very nice. Doesn't stand out in a photo compared to a Ferrari red one, but is something to behold in real life. Even if only in a scale model.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I've had this 427 Cobra replica for a while. Recently, a dealer on eBay has been selling off his stock of figurines for dioramas for next to nothing. When I spotted Surfer Girl, I said, yup, she needs the Cobra:

A few more of the Cobra:

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Wosbald, I'm so sorry to bother you...I'd ask Del if I didn't think he'd hurt himself terribly with the axe...wait a minute...two birds with one stone.

Del, we're going to need some green wood.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 pm
Wosbald, I'm so sorry to bother you...I'd ask Del if I didn't think he'd hurt himself terribly with the axe...wait a minute...two birds with one stone.

Del, we're going to need some green wood.
“Auto”-da-fé!

:bacon: :chili: :bacon: :chili:

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Green wood. My Lord. Who does the man think he is?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm
Donkey Goosey's fighting the windmills tonight, I see. Lighten up, man, I've never burned anyone in my life.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:17 pm
Lighten up, man, I've never burned anyone in my life.
Well that's a relief to know. Thank you!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Poster for the MG Exhibit at the Forney Museum in Denver (this arrived in an email, yesterday):

The poster was designed by the friend whose restored MGA is in the exhibit and on the poster. He's a graphic designer, among other things.

Another photo of the exhibit: