Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.

What's better?

Pancakes
7
39%
Waffles
5
28%
A_Morley in gluten filled breeches
2
11%
So help me, if one of you say's crepes I will throat punch you
4
22%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21019
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:00 am

French toast made with fresh, thick sliced cinnamon swirl bread beats em both.
Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21019
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:40 pm

I made Kodiak Cakes for breakfast this morning for son2 and I.

I do prefer a good Belgium waffle over most any pancake, but a good sourdough starter pancake is better than a bad waffle. Several years ago I kept a sourdough starter in my fridge and every week I had to feed it and use some up. Pancakes were the go-to solution if I didn’t have time to bake more bread, occasionally I would use some for waffles as well, but they’re more work. Which I suspect is the practical difference between the perceived superiority of waffles over pancakes. Waffles are what people make on a lazy Sunday morning when they don’t want to go to church, pancakes are a quick breakfast before work. It carries over to the restaurant. The blue collar worker and farmer simply don’t take the time for such luxury as Belgium waffles! But if made right, any form of batter and the finished product is good. It all goes well with bacon, but I’ll bet Jesus would prefer pancakes! :bacon:
Image

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 am
Ever had real sour dough pancakes made from a starter?
Amazing, but rarely encountered within the pancake community.

IMHO, frozen toaster/microwave pancakes and waffles are of the devil.
There is a small old restaurant in Jackson Hole Wyoming, the Log Cabin, and they have a 100+ year old sourdough starter and they make a stack of pancakes that is the best I have ever had...so good that we bought some starter...I kept it fed and used for a couple of years and then got lax and didn't tend it and...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22722
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:45 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:43 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:00 am
Ever had real sour dough pancakes made from a starter?
Amazing, but rarely encountered within the pancake community.

IMHO, frozen toaster/microwave pancakes and waffles are of the devil.
There is a small old restaurant in Jackson Hole Wyoming, the Log Cabin, and they have a 100+ year old sourdough starter and they make a stack of pancakes that is the best I have ever had...so good that we bought some starter...I kept it fed and used for a couple of years and then got lax and didn't tend it and...
I feel a road trip to Jackson Hole is in my future!

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26329
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 am
Waffles require specialized equipment to make and thus are subject to hipsterism. It is the same problem as beard oil, fountain pens, and... wait. Waffles should reign supreme on CPS!
On principle, I whole heatedly agree. But, what would a hipster waffle iron look like? Whatever it is made of or looks like, isn't that an opportunity to define the line where waffle cooking hardware lie?

Lay? Lie like a rug; lay like hardware. Pretty sure I got this one wrong.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Sir Moose » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 am
Waffles require specialized equipment to make and thus are subject to hipsterism. It is the same problem as beard oil, fountain pens, and... wait. Waffles should reign supreme on CPS!
On principle, I whole heatedly agree. But, what would a hipster waffle iron look like? Whatever it is made of or looks like, isn't that an opportunity to define the line where waffle cooking hardware lie?

Lay? Lie like a rug; lay like hardware. Pretty sure I got this one wrong.
It might look like this:
Image

Or possibly like this:
Image

I'd even stretch to this:
Image

Seriously though, I'm good with either pancakes or waffles. Where I usually start losing people is when I insist on putting peanut butter on them. Along with butter and piping hot maple syrup (which sort of melts the peanut butter and butter into a gooey mess). And nice thick-sliced bacon on the side. And a cup of strong, black coffee (used to be milk, but I don't handle the lactose so well anymore).
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26329
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:07 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:25 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 am
Waffles require specialized equipment to make and thus are subject to hipsterism. It is the same problem as beard oil, fountain pens, and... wait. Waffles should reign supreme on CPS!
On principle, I whole heatedly agree. But, what would a hipster waffle iron look like? Whatever it is made of or looks like, isn't that an opportunity to define the line where waffle cooking hardware lie?

Lay? Lie like a rug; lay like hardware. Pretty sure I got this one wrong.
It might look like this:
Image

Or possibly like this:
Image

I'd even stretch to this:
Image

Seriously though, I'm good with either pancakes or waffles. Where I usually start losing people is when I insist on putting peanut butter on them. Along with butter and piping hot maple syrup (which sort of melts the peanut butter and butter into a gooey mess). And nice thick-sliced bacon on the side. And a cup of strong, black coffee (used to be milk, but I don't handle the lactose so well anymore).

8O
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 22722
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am

Lately, waffles remind me of those flippy turny waffle iron thingys you find in the breakfast rooms at a Holiday Inn Express.
Certainly an improvement over cellophane wrapped mass produced Danish, industrial hard boiled eggs, stale bagels, bulk raisin bran and froot loop-oids of the past, but they leave me with a desire to be vacated before check-out time so I don't get charged for another day.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33260
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:15 am

Image

Image

Image
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:48 am
Lately, waffles remind me of those flippy turny waffle iron thingys you find in the breakfast rooms at a Holiday Inn Express.
Certainly an improvement over cellophane wrapped mass produced Danish, industrial hard boiled eggs, stale bagels, bulk raisin bran and froot loop-oids of the past, but they leave me with a desire to be vacated before check-out time so I don't get charged for another day.
Your new nickname is “Eeyore.”
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20673
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:25 am

While I prefer pancakes, whoever came up with the idea of putting waffles and fried chicken together was a freakin genius.
Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33260
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am

Image

Image

Image

Dang. Now I'm hungry.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by infidel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am

Jake wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 am
Yesterday at Costco, they had a sample stand with Kodiak whole grain flapjacks. Like Bisquick to prepare (just add water and fry). I bought a box of the mix, and a jug of maple syrup. Terry cooked some up for breakfast this morning, and he agreed, they were the best pancakes we've ever had.
+1 on the Kodiak
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6388
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by infidel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am

Waffle-u Akbar!
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33045
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am
Image

Image

Image

Dang. Now I'm hungry.
Dear lord, forgive my gluttonous drooling.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by hugodrax » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:49 am
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 am
Image

Image

Image

Dang. Now I'm hungry.
Dear lord, forgive my gluttonous drooling.
Everything can be forgiven except your pedestrian tastes and the fact that you are the reason why Hov hared off down the waffle-and-pancake-addled old-timer rants we’ve all been enduring. It’s cool, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26329
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:14 pm

infidel wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am
Waffle-u Akbar!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6034
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm

write in vote for Bullwinkle
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 26329
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 pm

I have a, "I puked after eating pancakes in a roadside breakfast place in 1975," story. PM if interested in details.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

User avatar
Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pancakes are friendlier than waffles

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm

...Where I usually start losing people is when I insist on putting peanut butter on them. Along with butter and piping hot maple syrup (which sort of melts the peanut butter and butter into a gooey mess)...
I'm with you on the PB!
I made some dollar cakes yesterday, spread with peanut butter, sandwiched two together, and dipped in maple syrup.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Post Reply